U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: if we pass amnesty, should we deny those who benefit voting rights?
yes 21 75.00%
no 7 25.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 03:05 PM

8,575 posts, read 2,286,421 times

Advertisements

if we pass amnesty, should those who become citizens be denied voting rights in future elections? we deny felons the right to vote, so why not these criminals. if not, we will have an additional 20,000,000 people voting for their own best interest. I think they should have NO say in the direction of the country. they were unwanted illegal guests, and they should have no voice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 09:45 PM

3,108 posts, read 4,912,380 times
If they are legal now and don't have a record, they should have the right to vote. This is a dumb question.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:30 PM

21,157 posts, read 26,339,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
If they are legal now and don't have a record, they should have the right to vote. This is a dumb question.
No: it is actually a fair question and I agree with the OP.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:42 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,942,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
if we pass amnesty, should those who become citizens be denied voting rights in future elections? we deny felons the right to vote, so why not these criminals. if not, we will have an additional 20,000,000 people voting for their own best interest. I think they should have NO say in the direction of the country. they were unwanted illegal guests, and they should have no voice.
I definitely see your point, jmarquise!

However, there are so many disadvantages and/or negatives associated with granting a gaggle of common criminals amnesty . . . voting is way down on the list of priorities.

With that being stated, IF amnesty is granted then voting as well as welfare and other freebies should be restricted.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH

Old 10-30-2008, 01:58 AM

74 posts, read 80,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
Here have all the good things people worked so hard to get! Even though you did not put any effort into doing things right!

Oh and also would you like their rights too?
We'll give them a 2fer like a Disneyland

Old 10-30-2008, 06:40 AM

163 posts, read 135,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
The question wasn't about immigrants who are legal now, it was about current ILLEGAL immigrants who may be granted amnesty in the near future.

And to answer the question...if they are illegal right now and become legal through a bogus amnesty then NO they should not have voting rights or many others. At least not until they've shown they deserve them by becoming American in ALL ways.

EDIT: I accidentally voted no in the poll but meant to vote yes. I read the question wrong...it's too early for me I guess. So to make it official...my vote in the poll is YES!

Last edited by Raimy; 10-30-2008 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 10-30-2008, 05:41 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,059,059 times
Firstly, the very notion of a blanket amnesty is so stupid it literally defies all logic.

Any amnesty will only ENCOURAGE more to flush into the U.S.....waiting for the NEXT amnesty....

Second, anyone that is a criminal by definition, and ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION IS A CRIME, A FELONY....they CAN NOT VOTE....duh!

And, lastly WHO could POSSIBLY benefit from all this ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION? The people who doll out the tax payers hard earned money for endless welfare programs....for ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS? Can we say buying votes? The democrats are all for illegal immigration in order to buy many future generations of votes with YOUR tax dollars....hello!

Old 10-30-2008, 10:41 PM

608 posts, read 542,855 times
Let´s focus first on killing off any future amnesty attemps! These criminals have NO right to any level of US citizenship much less voting. The only right the illegals deserve is the right to be returned to the country they came from!

Old 10-31-2008, 08:53 AM

17,298 posts, read 13,769,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
other freebies should be restricted.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH
With ya there brother! The biggest thing I think that needs restricted is the ability to attend public schools. If your parents are Illegal Aliens you should have to bolster part of the education costs. Our schools are jam packed with this sector. I don't care if they are classified "Americans" their parents are not and they are creating such a problem it's unreal.
Combine NCLB and kids who until month 9 were living on foreign soil creates a quagmire for everyone here.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:24 PM

3,108 posts, read 4,912,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimy View Post
The question wasn't about immigrants who are legal now, it was about current ILLEGAL immigrants who may be granted amnesty in the near future.

And to answer the question...if they are illegal right now and become legal through a bogus amnesty then NO they should not have voting rights or many others. At least not until they've shown they deserve them by becoming American in ALL ways.

EDIT: I accidentally voted no in the poll but meant to vote yes. I read the question wrong...it's too early for me I guess. So to make it official...my vote in the poll is YES!
I meant if they are illegal now and become legal in the future, then they should have the right to vote if they're 18 and over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration