U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-19-2009, 09:15 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,449 posts, read 22,948,866 times
Reputation: 7246

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
A few years ago, the Governor of Washington, Gary Locke, was Chinese. (In fact, I would imagine he probably still IS..not still governor, but still Chinese)...
Many people in the early 2000s thought that then-Gov. Locke would be the first openly nonwhite US president - as few people outside of Chicago had heard of Obama at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-19-2009, 09:25 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The Portuguese word "Mestico" which is pronounced like the Spanish word "Mestizo" IS used in India to describe Indian people of mixed Indian and Portuguese ancestry.
.
In Canada, as you may know, a blended race of Whites (mostly French) and Indians is called the "Metis"....(same word, but French). These folks have their own culture, history, festivals, etc., and think of themselves as a separate ethnic group. They are especially prominent in Manitoba and Saskatchewan (I believe they may have one or more websites)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 09:39 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,449 posts, read 22,948,866 times
Reputation: 7246
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
In Canada, as you may know, a blended race of Whites (mostly French) and Indians is called the "Metis"....(same word, but French). These folks have their own culture, history, festivals, etc., and think of themselves as a separate ethnic group. They are especially prominent in Manitoba and Saskatchewan (I believe they may have one or more websites)...
I'm well aware of the Metis history. There are a small number in the USA as well.

(We haven't even talked about the Melungeons or Ramapos yet!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 09:52 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I'm well aware of the Metis history. There are a small number in the USA as well.

(We haven't even talked about the Melungeons or Ramapos yet!)
Melungeons...fascinating. I KNOW they have several websites and are trying to look into their OWN history.

I've always had a fascination with those 'factoids' of possible human history that PROBABLY happened, but never OFFICIALY made it into the history books...

Basques in Labrador...
Irish wanderers in West Virginia, pre-Columbus..
Chinese in California BEFORE Europeans (?)..
The "Guanches" (aboriginal whites) of the Canary Islands...
"Nordic" inscriptions in Iowa....
"Kennewick Man"....
ancient South Americans in the Western Pacific (?)
Viking artifacts found among Inuit tribes in the far western Canadian Arctic...

etc etc etc...LOVE to speculate on this stuff. Didn't "Daniel Boone" or some other 'early American' explorer report encoutering mysterious 'non-Indians', living in 'plank' houses, upon first crossing the Appalachians? Were THESE 'melungeons', or am I mixing my stories up?

Could keep a whole thread going on this subject...thanks for your feedback..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 10:03 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,449 posts, read 22,948,866 times
Reputation: 7246
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Melungeons...fascinating. I KNOW they have several websites and are trying to look into their OWN history.

I've always had a fascination with those 'factoids' of possible human history that PROBABLY happened, but never OFFICIALY made it into the history books...

Basques in Labrador...
Not enough substantial proof although it's odd that there are Basque words in the indigenous languages. Some contact is likely. Mark Kurlansky's "Basque History of the World" talks about this.

Quote:
Irish wanderers in West Virginia, pre-Columbus..[/QUOTE

Never heard about that.

Quote:
Chinese in California BEFORE Europeans (?)..
There was a medieval Chinese junk found off the coast of Southern California back in the '80s....

Quote:
The "Guanches" (aboriginal whites) of the Canary Islands
Most likely of Berber origin considering the proximity to Morocco. They assimilated into the Spanish population of the Canaries.

Quote:
"Nordic" inscriptions in Iowa....
"Kennewick Man"....
ancient South Americans in the Western Pacific
Thor Heyerdahl's theory as to Polynesians originating in South America has been thoroughly debunked. I did read "Kon Tiki" as a kid and he was an idol of mine as a child for that reason, but it turns out he was wrong.

Quote:
Viking artifacts found among Inuit tribes in the far western Canadian Arctic.
The presence of the Vikings in the Americas has been thoroughly documented.

You forgot about Phoenicians in the Americas - something that cannot be proven as the Romans destroyed all the Phoenician records and libraries.

Quote:
etc etc etc...LOVE to speculate on this stuff. Didn't "Daniel Boone" or some other 'early American' explorer report mysterious 'non-Indians' upon first crossing the Appalachians? Were THESE 'melungeons', or am I mixing my stories up?
Possible. It would have been the right area. The Melungeons of North Carolina are obviously of mixed white and Native American ancestry, however it's not apparent how they came to be.


Could keep a whole thread going on this subject...thanks for your feedback..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 10:21 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Not enough substantial proof although it's odd that there are Basque words in the indigenous languages. Some contact is likely. Mark Kurlansky's "Basque History of the World" talks about this.
*I was referring not to prehistoric times, but to the 1300's or so...I'm sure that the foundations of a Basque whaling station has been pretty well authenticated, just below the level of the beach at Red Bay, on the Labrador coast..not TOO far from the earlier Viking site at L'anse aux Meadows (sp?) on the northern tip of Newfoundland...The place contained living quarters, a 'prep area' for whales, and housed a seasonal workforce. Pretty sure this is so....(?)

*Apparently a stone tablet was unearthed on a farm in West Virginia containing ancient Irish 'script'..(called 'ogham').... don't recall when.(possibly 1920's ?)...no explanation as to how it got there, but it apparently had been there for centuries..

*Kennewick Man is an apparently Caucasian skeleton found a few years ago in a gravel bar along the Columbia River near Kennewick, WA (Tri-Cities). Age has been determined at about 9000 years...(?) There's a legal squabble between Native American tribe who wants custody of the remains, and the scientific community which holds that this 'isn't a member' of any tribe...(?)

*A few years ago, several round stone Chinese boat anchors were unearthed at various locations in the California Delta. A controversy arose between those insisting that these were of 'pre-European' origin, evidence of Chinese presence centuries ago....and others, who insisted they were left by unemployed railroad workers after the completion of the transcontinental line in the 1860's who'd turned to fishing for a livelihood...(?)


Phoenicians, yes...isn't there some theory that Phoenicians may have visited Yucatan? Some words in the local language thought to be of Phoenician origin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2009, 06:08 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Many people in the early 2000s thought that then-Gov. Locke would be the first openly nonwhite US president - as few people outside of Chicago had heard of Obama at the time.
And; now for ironic, in parts of the old Jim Crow South, ethnic Chinese and Japanese were counted as 'White'.

The children of the original Siamese Twins: Cheng and Eng Bunker of North Carolina (ethnic Chinese from Siam [Thailand]) were listed as 'White'; not mixed race, in the 1850 US Census.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top