Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 03:01 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
I believe you are speaking of George Fernandes the defense minister of India, his name isn't very indian huh? but he looks very indian
Looks INDIAN? How can you say that ?.the man is the very ESSENCE of Portugal....a veritable "Vasco da Gama" !!

(Seriously, you're right. He DOES look Indian, and that may be one of the names I had noticed over the years. The "Portugese Connection" on the 'subcontinent'.)

Interesting subject, these facts which defy our sterotypes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 03:20 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,699,304 times
Don't forget about the Chinese in Cuba, Peru and other Latin American Nations. My mother's last name is Chinese, she looks Chinese, but she is Cuban.....and doesn't speak a word of Cantonese or Mandarin.
Then we also have Chinese "looking" people that have last names like Hernandez, Perez, etc. I guess some individuals can break the sterotype look.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:56 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,007,817 times
There's a big cultural/social difference. Hispanic white students qualify for all sorts of minority scholarship programs; Non-Hispanic white students don't. The Gates Foundation offers great scholarships for everyone BUT non-Hispanic whites.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:05 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
So true. There's nothing like being "Hispanic" with a French surname.
Or being Swedish with the name Jose Gonzalez? He is of Argentine lineage but born/raised in the Scandinavian nation.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Don't forget about the Chinese in Cuba, Peru and other Latin American Nations. My mother's last name is Chinese, she looks Chinese, but she is Cuban.....and doesn't speak a word of Cantonese or Mandarin.
Then we also have Chinese "looking" people that have last names like Hernandez, Perez, etc. I guess some individuals can break the sterotype look.
True..there are all sorts of Asians in Latin America...from the long-established Chinese community of Mexicali, (on the US border) to the HUGE Japanese-descended community in Brazil (mostly concentrated in two states)....and Peru, as well. There are actually a number of Mexicans who look distinctly Filipino..a legacy, they tell me, form the old days of the Spanish Empire when yearly convoys would leave Manila, make landfall on the California coast, then sail by 'sight' down to Acapulco, where they'd offload, send their cargo overland to Veracruz, and back aboard ship for transfer on to Europe. In the process, a Filipino community developed in Acapulco, now long blended into the Mexican population.

How about "Bahamian whites"? Stereotypically a "black" nation, the Bahamas is in fact about 12% white. SOME of these are, of course, wealthy newcomers from the US, Canada, or Europe...but MOST are not...they're long-term residents who've lived in the Bahamas since "day one", MOST of whom arrived around the time of the American revolution, unwilling to fight against Great Britain.

Barbados also has a small percentage of early-day whites, transported as plantation labor to the island even before the days of African slavery. Long isolated from mainstream society, these folks have NEARLY disappeared as a 'separate group', but a few still exist, called by the familiar term "redlegs".

All the Caribbean Central American nations..(except for El Salvador, which has NO Caribbean coast) have black, English-speaking minorities, having a non-Hispanic culture similar to that of Jamaica or Belize.

There is ALSO a sizeable Indian (Hindu) community in NE South America. Trinidad, Guyana, etc have HUGE Indian populations....while Surinam has an odd mix of Indonesians, Europeans, Blacks, and Middle Easterners.

NOT the stereotypical "Latin American" population one might expect..

Old 02-18-2009, 05:50 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,435,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
True..there are all sorts of Asians in Latin America...from the long-established Chinese community of Mexicali, (on the US border) to the HUGE Japanese-descended community in Brazil (mostly concentrated in two states)....and Peru, as well. There are actually a number of Mexicans who look distinctly Filipino..a legacy, they tell me, form the old days of the Spanish Empire when yearly convoys would leave Manila, make landfall on the California coast, then sail by 'sight' down to Acapulco, where they'd offload, send their cargo overland to Veracruz, and back aboard ship for transfer on to Europe. In the process, a Filipino community developed in Acapulco, now long blended into the Mexican population.

How about "Bahamian whites"? Stereotypically a "black" nation, the Bahamas is in fact about 12% white. SOME of these are, of course, wealthy newcomers from the US, Canada, or Europe...but MOST are not...they're long-term residents who've lived in the Bahamas since "day one", MOST of whom arrived around the time of the American revolution, unwilling to fight against Great Britain.

Barbados also has a small percentage of early-day whites, transported as plantation labor to the island even before the days of African slavery. Long isolated from mainstream society, these folks have NEARLY disappeared as a 'separate group', but a few still exist, called by the familiar term "redlegs".

All the Caribbean Central American nations..(except for El Salvador, which has NO Caribbean coast) have black, English-speaking minorities, having a non-Hispanic culture similar to that of Jamaica or Belize.

There is ALSO a sizeable Indian (Hindu) community in NE South America. Trinidad, Guyana, etc have HUGE Indian populations....while Surinam has an odd mix of Indonesians, Europeans, Blacks, and Middle Easterners.

NOT the stereotypical "Latin American" population one might expect..
so true, and immigration has played a large role in the development of all these communities.

Back then it was easy to just arrive to a new place, in the era we live today that is impossible, sometimes I wonder if it'll be like this forever or the restrictions imposed on immigration will eventually be eased.

This reminds me that during my new year holidays @ playa del carmen I met a citizen from India, It was interesting to hear from her, that a lot of people in Mexico could pass for Indians, she told to a friend of mine, that she looked 100% like people from India.

She also told me that India is facing a lot of problems with illegal immigration from Bangladesh. She told me that Bangladeshis usually look the same and speak the same language, have the same religion and culture than Indians, yet the massive influx of them has caused problems.

Illegal Immigration from Bangladesh to India

That's why I wonder if illegal immigration is something that arrived to stay or it will be just a transitory phase of mankind's history.

Maybe I got too phillosophical and way offtopic, but I thought it is interesting to speak about this, hmm perhaps start a new thread?

Regards!

Old 02-18-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
so true, and immigration has played a large role in the development of all these communities.

Back then it was easy to just arrive to a new place, in the era we live today that is impossible, sometimes I wonder if it'll be like this forever or the restrictions imposed on immigration will eventually be eased.

This reminds me that during my new year holidays @ playa del carmen I met a citizen from India, It was interesting to hear from her, that a lot of people in Mexico could pass for Indians, she told to a friend of mine, that she looked 100% like people from India.

She also told me that India is facing a lot of problems with illegal immigration from Bangladesh. She told me that Bangladeshis usually look the same and speak the same language, have the same religion and culture than Indians, yet the massive influx of them has caused problems.

Illegal Immigration from Bangladesh to India

That's why I wonder if illegal immigration is something that arrived to stay or it will be just a transitory phase of mankind's history.

Maybe I got too phillosophical and way offtopic, but I thought it is interesting to speak about this, hmm perhaps start a new thread?

Regards!
It would be an interesting thread....sounds good..

Old 02-19-2009, 01:09 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And; you are 100% correct

I had to smile at your use of the word 'Mestizo': E Indians are most definitely not Hispanic unless born/raised in a Hispanic nations.
The Portuguese word "Mestico" which is pronounced like the Spanish word "Mestizo" IS used in India to describe Indian people of mixed Indian and Portuguese ancestry.

In L.A. and most likely in Phoenix, South Asians are often thought to be Latinos....

Quote:
In fact: to run with your ball further; The Gypsies/Roma of especially Eastern Europe are (mostly) descended from E Indians as well
I know, I'm part Rom.

Quote:
-----------DNA testing proved that. I have a friend of mine; who is obviously Mestizo despite being counted as 100% Anglo White here in Arizona......she is either 1/2 or full Hungarian lineage but we look nothing alike. Note I am also 1/2 Hungarian (Szekler which are closer to Scots-Irish/Celt)
That was Dracula's ethnicity in Bram Stoker's novel.

Quote:
but am Nordic White in appearance whereas the 'Jersey Devil' (she is a NJ native) has dark hair/eyes, high cheekbones, slanted eyes with the epicanthic folds, etc.
I might be distantly related to her for all I know.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:15 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Fulgencio Batista was of Chinese ancestry on his mother's side.

I've seen Cuban-Chinese restaurants in NYC. There are Chinese-Mexicans especially in Baja California and Mexico City - in fact there was a drug cartel boss who was a Chinese-Mexican and who had a very un-Mexican sounding name.

I think there are Chinese in every country in the world AFAIK.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Fulgencio Batista was of Chinese ancestry on his mother's side.

I've seen Cuban-Chinese restaurants in NYC. There are Chinese-Mexicans especially in Baja California and Mexico City - in fact there was a drug cartel boss who was a Chinese-Mexican and who had a very un-Mexican sounding name.

I think there are Chinese in every country in the world AFAIK.
A few years ago, the Governor of Washington, Gary Locke, was Chinese. (In fact, I would imagine he probably still IS..not still governor, but still Chinese)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration