U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 08:07 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,908,833 times

Advertisements

SYDNEY, Australia (AP) - A German doctor who moved to Australia two years ago to help ease a shortage of doctors in a rural area is now being denied permanent residency there. It's because his son has Down syndrome.

The doctor says he's going to fight the decision from Australia's immigration department. Officials said his 13-year-old son "did not meet the health requirement." And they concluded that his condition would likely "result in a significant and ongoing cost to the Australian community."

Bernhard Moeller still has a temporary work visa that's valid until 2010.
He says he and his family would like to live in Australia. He says they've been "welcomed by the community," and that they don't want to leave simply because the government doesn't welcome his son.
Australia's health minister says she'll speak to the immigration minister about the case.
World news Feed Article | World news | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/feedarticle/7967124 - broken link)

Wow, I feel sorry for these people because at least the father has a job and isn't sucking Australia dry. Yet the bass ackwards US has allowed half of Mexico's illiterate, breeders, rapists and other sub par form of life to suck the American taxpayers dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 08:21 PM

9,310 posts, read 25,723,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Wow, I feel sorry for these people because at least the father has a job and isn't sucking Australia dry. Yet the bass ackwards US has allowed half of Mexico's illiterate, breeders, rapists and other sub par form of life to suck the American taxpayers dry.
Australia has never been overly PC, JDubsMom, and they are a better, not to mention SAFER, country for being so.

I have often thought I would like to relocate to Australia primarily due to their "Like It Or Don't Let The Door Hit You In Your Butt" approach.

! ! ! ! ! !

Old 10-31-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Australia has never been overly PC, JDubsMom, and they are a better, not to mention SAFER, country for being so.

I have often thought I would like to relocate to Australia primarily due to their "Like It Or Don't Let The Door Hit You In Your Butt" approach.

! ! ! ! ! !
I respect their laws and they have every right to determine who should be allowed to remain in their country. I do agree, however, we'd be a stronger, much better off nation if we followed their lead.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:57 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,048,027 times
I do feel sorry for this family, and it does seem very unfair that someone recruited to immigrate to a country is then denied citizenship due to his childs condition. Frankly, it seems harsh.
Then again, I certainly wish the US took its responsibilities towards its own citizenzy more seriously by vetting who is allowed citizenship and all the rights and benefits thereof.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I do feel sorry for this family, and it does seem very unfair that someone recruited to immigrate to a country is then denied citizenship due to his childs condition. Frankly, it seems harsh.
Then again, I certainly wish the US took its responsibilities towards its own citizenzy more seriously by vetting who is allowed citizenship and all the rights and benefits thereof.
Agreed. That and limit the amount and scrutinize the reasons of those who wish to migrate legally as well. No more coming here in seach of the American dream while killing the dreams of native Americans, by depressing our wages, draining our tax dollars and expecting us to foot their bills and assume responsibility for the education and social services of their children. We need to go back to the original premise of legal immigration and admit only those who are sponsored by and the sole responsibility of their employers or family members. No more anchor babies and no tax payer funded social amenities for any reason. Other than medical emergencies, they should not be accepted for medical or dental care without paying in advance or with their OWN form of insurance.

All visa overstayers, illegal aliens caught, should be deported and banned from returning.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:06 PM

9,310 posts, read 25,723,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I could not agree more, Camping.

The United States has gone so far in the other direction the world is laughing at us. There's gotta be a Happy Medium.

As for Australia . . . I respect them for wanting to preserve the sanctity and sovereignty of their country.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:57 AM

3,640 posts, read 4,313,993 times
I really wish America would be as forceful with who they allow to come to our country. I applaud Australia for this. Why should they be expected to take on the financial woes of a person who, as anyone knows, will be dependent on the state once the parents die? I really wish America would change their immigration laws and really tighten them up and stop brining in the millions that we do. Just go and read Australia's immigration rules and regulations. Yet, the Mexicans and other Latin America countries have the nerve to tell us that we don't take enough immigrants, and all of the uneducated and ignorant one that we do that we will have to support forever. It boggles the mind.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:22 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,669,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
I really wish America would be as forceful with who they allow to come to our country. I applaud Australia for this. Why should they be expected to take on the financial woes of a person who, as anyone knows, will be dependent on the state once the parents die? I really wish America would change their immigration laws and really tighten them up and stop brining in the millions that we do. Just go and read Australia's immigration rules and regulations. Yet, the Mexicans and other Latin America countries have the nerve to tell us that we don't take enough immigrants, and all of the uneducated and ignorant one that we do that we will have to support forever. It boggles the mind.
In all fairness: we may be looking at apples and oranges here.

#1: the father of that Downs boy would be heading to Australia legally.

#2: he is a physician........read that he would be bringing in more 'human capital' vs. sucking on the teat of the system.

#3: the cold reality is I doubt the kid in question would outlive his parents anyway.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:48 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,911,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
In all fairness: we may be looking at apples and oranges here.

#1: the father of that Downs boy would be heading to Australia legally.

#2: he is a physician........read that he would be bringing in more 'human capital' vs. sucking on the teat of the system.

#3: the cold reality is I doubt the kid in question would outlive his parents anyway.
Very true its sad but down syndrome people tend to have a very short life expectancy.
We should be as rigid as australia with our immigration laws.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:57 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,819,682 times
Look at countries like Japan -- they have even stricter immigration laws. I don't believe Downs Syndrome people have to cost society a whole lot but look at the USA, how we're having to pay for every kind of health problem because we allow everyone to come here and seek their free government programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration