Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 11:29 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,766,608 times

Advertisements

HELL.A actually has the 2nd largest population of mexican people.
1# is Mexico City!

Old 11-04-2008, 11:49 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
LA is not mexicanized. certain parts of LA have large concentrations of mexicans. and they influnce the surrounding atmosphere. but dont forget that certain partsof LA have large concentrations of koreans. and others have filipinos. and others have chinese. look at the san gabriel valley! its largely asian. i dont see them running around in sombreros. look at the san fernando valley and places like glendale. they are largely armenian. are they running around listening to mexican music? i doubt it. and pasadena is still pretty lily.

yes mexicans have had an influence in LA, but so have chinese and armenians and koreans, and all the other white people who were once ethnic.

as for downtown. when all of los angeles abandoned downtown the only main throroughfare to prosper was broadway. it was the anchor that held down town in place. it was and continues to be largely latino. as the surrounding districts of DT become more and more populated/gentrified, broadway maintains its hispanic presence. it is a good thing.

my only question now is, why isnt this in the LA forum? if this is about immigration then shouldnt it be phrased to ask which immigrant group has changed the face of LA?

if thats the case i would include the mass migration from the southern US to south central in the 50's and 60's. (which prompted white flight) and i would also include what i previously stated. armenians, and salvadorans (macarthur park), and japanese(until that lil internment thing).

LOS ANGELES IS HUGE AND IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR IT TO BE "MEXICANIZED"

get real folks.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:25 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
The word now ( don't know how true ) is that the entire U.S is pretty much Mexico due to the fact that the people who have the power (government, elites) have pretty much abandoned there ability to police the borders. Why do you think J. McCain and Obama have been "instructed' to NOT support the securing of the borders? Immigration reform is just a slick lawyer terminology to say, "we support immigration".

On the flip side, you also got to look at TRUE history. The Mexican/Mayan people or the accurate label for there race use to reside all up and down the coast of California. I haft to do more research on this.

I'm not Mexican but its so funny how people treat these people like subhuman but reside in homes that are influenced by Spanish architecture,there streets and city's are Spanish names, they eat at Mexican restaurants, use there cheap labor, or vacation in Mexico or south America.

To make it clear were I stand with all this is that I hate no single race, hating a race is only hating yourself becasue we all come from a single source in Africa; what I hate is the Government and the slick talkers who use government that cause all of these problems for all of us.

In other words, whats going on is a situation like telling your older brother that you saw your little brother take money out of his piggy bank when it was really YOU that did it. The little brother and older brother then fight with each other over a issue that YOU started; this is what going on just on; a large scale. What happens on a small scale can also happen on a LARGE scale. So if only you FOOL'S out there will wake up to the game that's being run on all of us!!
Till the Spaniards came along: the Aztecs, Mayans, Toltecs and other Indians from what is now Mexico did not even range as far north as the present USA.

As for racism: Hispanic culture is White supremacist unto itself-------that is one reason that we rarely see a White Mexican doing menial work. They tend to be the elite SOB and are usually here legally.

The pendulum is swinging against illegal immigration as it is..........many illegals are self deporting due to no work coupled with much stricter enforcement of the laws pertaining to same.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:42 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Call any large business in LA and see if it prompts you for #2 for Korean.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:50 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Default Just asking... honest!

I saw on one of these posts that California had only been a legal possession of Mexico for something like 35 years. Or some other equally small number. True? Not "centuries of tradition" that Easterners "hijacked" etc.?

Don't shoot at me. It's an innocent quiet little question. I'm curious about what the truth is, and I'm definitely not racist , a red-neck Republican nor am I anti-legal immigrant! And besides, I shoot back.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:55 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
RE how would you know they are illegal. i have answered this post several times on CDF.
you dont need DNA tests to tell. how many swedish tourists hang out at Home depot asking for work and speaking only spanish. LA is second largest mexican city outside of Mexico city.
DC has got an under the table NAFTA going for 30 years, its labor busting government sponsored.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:08 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
I saw on one of these posts that California had only been a legal possession of Mexico for something like 35 years. Or some other equally small number. True? Not "centuries of tradition" that Easterners "hijacked" etc.?

Don't shoot at me. It's an innocent quiet little question. I'm curious about what the truth is, and I'm definitely not racist , a red-neck Republican nor am I anti-legal immigrant! And besides, I shoot back.
Not even that long: 1821-48.

Besides: had Mexico lost its war of independence against Spain........I am willing to bet that tens of thousands of 'Mexicans' would have been murdered under orders from Madrid.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:18 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
get real people.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:02 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,106,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthspeak View Post
Almost as Mexicanized as it was before it was Americanized...

Just kidding...I think.

LA is home to a lot of media, entertainment, and corporations. The film industry is a huge part of American culture. Make no mistake, its very much an American city, but with a huge immigrant population(like New York in the early 20th century). There is a large Mexican population in LA due to its proximity to the Mexico, its history of Mexican influence, and its being the center of Chicano(Mexican-American) culture.

People exaggerate and cry about the Latino population, but its a huge part of Los Angeles, and has been since before it became the Los Angeles we know today.

Its great to be proud to be an American, and you shouldn't feel like you have to compensate for your roots.

BTW, your screename sounds like a Cholo name, which I think is more embarassing than calling yourself a Mexican-American.
You are confusing pre mass illegal immigration from Mexico Los Angeles from the present. Try reading the OP again.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:53 AM

567 posts, read 1,120,036 times
In the same way that Boston was Irishized, I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration