U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 05:56 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,278,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalLord View Post
In the same way that Boston was Irishized, I suppose.
The Irish, my family's people, came here LEGALLY. Most of them, that is.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:04 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,096,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdiablo View Post
Hello everyone,

An an American Hispanic I must say that I feel very distressed to read the distressing news about how illegal immigrants from Mexico are damaging this country. I am an American of Mexican descent (I'll never refer to myself as a Mexican-American) who resides in San Francisco I must say that I have seen the damage that illegal immigrants have done. I work as a firefighter who frequently sees illegal immigrants trashing communities with graffiti and litter, intimidating locals and frequently speeding.

How do I know they're illegal? I was raised in a bilingual household so I speak English and Spanish fluently helped by the fact that both of my parents are legal immigrants to the US. So, I see the same illegal immigrants on a daily basis and understand what they are saying. They speak about "la migra" and the economy very often. Many times speak negatively of whites, blacks, Asians.

I've also interacted with Hispanics who oppose illegal immigration who share similar stories.

One thing that I would like to ask is this: How Mexicanized is LA becoming?

Mexico a dominant immigrant force in LA - UPI.com

The article above makes me very uncertain. I love my country but it is not an extension of Mexico.

When one group of people do not assimilate and fiercely retain their native culture instead of embracing the current nation's culture a Spanish-speaking Quebec is literally expected.

So, is LA really becoming Mexicanized? If you were to estimate how Mexicanized it is what would your estimation be? 35% Mexicanized is my assumption.

Thank you all for your assitance.
I would definitely blame the politicians for letting this happen and making it so easy for them.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:09 AM

31,463 posts, read 14,559,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalLord View Post
In the same way that Boston was Irishized, I suppose.
Sorry no, Boston doesn't resemble Ireland and most Irish came here legally.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:20 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
The Irish, my family's people, came here LEGALLY. Most of them, that is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I would definitely blame the politicians for letting this happen and making it so easy for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
A revival of an old thread to make insinuations that most of the Hispanics in Los Angeles derive from "illegal" roots...

How surprising...

Old 01-09-2013, 10:41 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,870,497 times
When you have a large group of the same type living together this is what happens.
It's not special to Mexicans. It's the fact that a large group of homogeneous people live in a community so their customs become the norm for that community.

That exists in the border states right now with the large numbers of Hispanics living there.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
A revival of an old thread to make insinuations that most of the Hispanics in Los Angeles derive from "illegal" roots...

How surprising...
None of us anti-illegal immigrants revived this old thread. A person by the name of MetalLord did and he insinuated nothing about most Hispanics in L.A. being illegal or being derived from illegal roots.

The title of this old topic is "Is Los Angeles being Mexicanized". Where is the part that says anything about illegal immigrants? However, how do you or anyone else know how many illegals are there that are Hispanic or Mexican or derived from illegal immigration? I certainly don't know the number whether most are or or not. Do you?

Old 01-09-2013, 12:02 PM

41,505 posts, read 49,538,721 times
Default Los angeles mexicanized?

Just look at the Spanish name. If it were an Anglo city it would be called The Angels. It has been a Mexican/Spanish city since the first mission. Regardless it is still one of the most complex and vibrant cities on the planet.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Just look at the Spanish name. If it were an Anglo city it would be called The Angels. It has been a Mexican/Spanish city since the first mission. Regardless it is still one of the most complex and vibrant cities on the planet.
All those signs, names of towns in the southwest came from the Spaniards not Mexicans. Depends on what you mean by vibrant. Many parts of L.A. are ghettos and barrios.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:21 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,278,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post

How surprising...
Quote:
None of us anti-illegal immigrants revived this old thread. A person by the name of MetalLord did and he insinuated nothing about most Hispanics in L.A. being illegal or being derived from illegal roots.

The title of this old topic is "Is Los Angeles being Mexicanized". Where is the part that says anything about illegal immigrants? However, how do you or anyone else know how many illegals are there that are Hispanic or Mexican or derived from illegal immigration? I certainly don't know the number whether most are or or not. Do you?
Agree with OldGlory.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:34 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,285,252 times
Quote:

I agree with you. And that is what pisses most people off, our ancestors mine included, had to fight tooth and nail to get to this Country.

And the price they had to pay to become legal citizens, was not what you would call easy.

Italians were made too not have it easy, if you think they did not go thru hell and high water, ask my dead realitives, they will set you straight.

If you don't make it easy on people, make them do things as american born, they will not come in the numbers they are coming in. No speical treatments for them.

Hek i won't even go to L.A. , i just don't like it anymore, as i once did 20 years ago.

I guess i live in my own little corner, by the beach, and love it this way, i live in a resort type area, but large residential custom homes. The people surprising enough are great people who do help everyone regardless of their status.

There are many places in L.A. that are great to visit, many different cities in different counties. i still love P.V. behind the gates, and other areas, we have a lot of counties, and many many different cities.

Once you pave the way, you make it hard for those here to want to leave. I notice truthfully and i am all over the place in O.C. AND THE I.E. that i don't honestly see as many illegals as i once did, that is the truth.

Do we have a actual number of those illegals living here illegally, to those that became legal. And the number of illegals who have left, i know some who have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration