U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 04:13 PM

432 posts, read 1,471,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
My thoughts concerning those hooligans on how they should be dealt with would earn me an infraction here on City-Data; shall we say.

How should they be dealt with? Tell Us Please.

They wanna vote but Do not know English. Do You think its easy to learn English?

I have a few words for You but It will Get me an infraction also.

They are Citizens and They Deserved the outmost respect.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:27 PM

73 posts, read 192,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
My thoughts concerning those hooligans on how they should be dealt with would earn me an infraction here on City-Data; shall we say.
For wanting to vote?
Oh God, call the lynch mob already!
These hooligans want to vote!

Old 11-04-2008, 04:39 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,033,451 times
Yes, god forbid people who want to be citizens of the US learn to speak English! How awful to even bring it up --- it may hurt feelings.
I wonder if I immigrated to France, would they have English translators standing by to help me with the French ballots? How about Mexico? Venezuela?
Yet, people from Spanish speaking country's need Spanish translations. Is it because their desire to assimilate is as great as other immigrant groups who do manage to learn English? Yeah, English is a hard language, but not one that is impossible to learn by millions of Spanish speaking immgrants. Especially when other immigrants do manage to learn it, and become fluent in it. Yeah.......they have the desire to assimilate.
(I used the "a" word twice in my post --- I must be a racist, or at least a xenophobe, eh? )

Old 11-04-2008, 04:40 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by affi View Post

They wanna vote but Do not know English. Do You think its easy to learn English?

Speaking, reading and writing English are mandatory for acquiring US citizenship with few exceptions.

My father was a legal immigrant from Eastern Europe-------------he learned English back in the 1950's.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:42 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,033,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quepaso View Post
For wanting to vote?
Oh God, call the lynch mob already!
These hooligans want to vote!
Unfortunately, they want to vote in the language of whatever Spanish speaking country it was that they left. Too bad they didn't use that sense of civic mindedness while still citizens of whatever craphole they formerly called home......they may have been able to enact change in their native homelands

Old 11-04-2008, 04:50 PM

77 posts, read 101,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Unfortunately, they want to vote in the language of whatever Spanish speaking country it was that they left. Too bad they didn't use that sense of civic mindedness while still citizens of whatever craphole they formerly called home......they may have been able to enact change in their native homelands
We vote in our language, "whatever" that language is. That is our right as United States citizens, "whatever" you think. Welcome to the 21st Century.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:53 PM

4,507 posts, read 7,824,676 times
Quote:

I don't care if it's easy or not. It can take 2 years or more to become a citizen, they should be learning plenty of English in that time. Not all citizens are deserving of respect on that basis alone. They have to be decent and productive citizens, contributing and becoming part of the American culture. How do these people drive if they don't know English? How do they communicate with their children's school teachers or with their employers or with other citizens? If you can't read enough English to vote and yet you gained citizenship then I think we need higher standards on the citizenship test. Ridiculous!!

We also need stricter voting registration laws to make sure people are citizens. In this state you can be illegal and get a drivers license or state id card, use that number to register to vote. Oh, and you have to sign a paper promising that you are indeed a citizen...that's all.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:02 PM

432 posts, read 1,471,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Then you would lose. I have been nothing if not consistent about immigrants (legal and illegal) learning English. If people want to speak their native languages amongst themselves, great! If they want to teach their children, even better! But to demand that the rest of American society accomodate a newly arrived segment is not only ridiculous, but arrogant and rude. If they are Spanish speakers, Russians speakers, or Arabaic it really does not matter to me at all. If you notice more crap being thrown at hispanics for not learning English, it could very well be because they are the largest non English speaking immigrant group and they have 'organizers' such as lulac, laraza et al that have among its goals keeping Spanish their first language.

But you wouldn't know that, wrapped as you are in the certainty of being 'right' and 'noble'.
They do not have to Learn English. Thats why they have translations. There are translations on every Product in the US. I am sure there can be a Translator there helping them to vote.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:17 PM

8,161 posts, read 9,363,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
A group of Spanish speaking voters plan a protest from noon-2 p.m. today in downtown Greeley because they say they are encountering problems at the polls.

According to Angie Diaz with the Colorado Progressive Coalition in a press release, thousands of Spanish speaking voters are not finding translators available, have experienced delays in receiving translation assistance and may not get to vote today.

Spanish speaking voters in Weld encountering problems, plan protest | GreeleyTribune.com (http://www.greeleytribune.com/article/20081104/NEWS/811049971/1051&ParentProfile=1001&title=Spanish%20speaking%2 0voters%20in%20Weld%20encountering%20problems%2C%2 0plan%20protest - broken link)

If they want to vote in spanish, perhaps they need to wait for Mexico's next election. I have never in my life encountered such a bunch of whiney, worthless, arrogant peasants. THIS IS AMERICA, LEARN ENGLISH, LEARN TO LOVE IT OR GET THE HELL OUT.
I haven't read this thread, so it may have been mentioned. But I have a really 'outside the box' solution, I mean it's really out there and it will solve this:

LEARN ENGLISH!! QUIT EXPECTING SPECIAL TREATMENT FROM THE COUNTRY YOU IMMIGRATED INTO!

Old 11-04-2008, 05:21 PM

8,161 posts, read 9,363,321 times
Quote:

So what about those who speak Swahili, Inuit, Tagalog, Bengali... etc, etc. Do they not deserve the same respect as those who speak only Spanish. What makes them so special?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or