Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 06:29 PM

77 posts, read 114,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by affi View Post
So to be Part of the american culture they must Speak English.

What is the american culture exactly? Please Explain!!
Don't hold your breath, affi.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:42 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times
we're not here to teach you. If you don't know your either ignorant or just plain stupid.

There's no sense in arguing with these 3. It's getting to the point where your making personal attacks and race baiting.

They're on the path to being reported.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:49 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NibblingNed View Post
I am willing to translate Thai to English anywhere I go, but I can't be everywhere. I appreciate aliens that want to vote in our elections (judging from previous elections, someone has to do the voting Americans won't do).

Maybe your foreign family ("assimulate"? English, Do You Speak It?) should just keep out of our elections.
Yes I do speak Thai as a matter of fact. I made it a priority to learn my wifes language. Thats called respect.
So you claim to be able to translate? I'll believe it when I see it.
Khun Thai mai chai....

Old 11-05-2008, 12:15 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
in cali, were i think the "common language" is spanish, they have ballots and DMV tests in tagalog, spanish, korean. how do you think that happened? by request. official or otherwise.

anyhow i think that you guys forget the reality that language on a ballot or in a hospital (that lil health literacy thing) is very different from cotidian vernacular. it takes years and years to learn certain popular colloquialisms, like shooting fish in a barrell... or is it bucket? anyhow. this takes a while. imagine trying to decipher legalese or other forms of "official" or political discourse?

i think this request is valid in some cases.

and why arent the other fishy issues presented by this article being discussed?

i really dont think this thread is going anywhere.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:51 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
in cali, were i think the "common language" is spanish, they have ballots and DMV tests in tagalog, spanish, korean. how do you think that happened? by request. official or otherwise.

anyhow i think that you guys forget the reality that language on a ballot or in a hospital (that lil health literacy thing) is very different from cotidian vernacular. it takes years and years to learn certain popular colloquialisms, like shooting fish in a barrell... or is it bucket? anyhow. this takes a while. imagine trying to decipher legalese or other forms of "official" or political discourse?

Ok so I will ask the obvious question. If they can't read english how can we allow them to drive on our roads? We can not assume all street signs are universal and I know for a fact that they are not. Unlike some posters I am well traveled and know first hand. If a cop pulls you over and you can't speak the language couldn't this lead to even bigger issues?

Old 11-05-2008, 07:46 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post

You are right, legalese is a language onto itself! However, in my state we have the 'correct' version of the bill/amendment on the ballot followed by a descriptive in 'common english'. I thought that this was a wide spread practice?

Old 11-05-2008, 10:02 AM

77 posts, read 114,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Just as I thought......
The point being that we provide translators for a select few. Why only for spanish speakers?
When my wife went for her Drivers licence is was permitted for a spanish speaker to have a relative or friend translate for the person taking hte test. For my wife it was denied. That is discrimination no matter how you look at it. State was PA. . . .
A driver's license is not a ballot. Your wife has a valid complaint, as far as I'm concerned. Her language choice should be (reasonably) accommodated, whether it's English or not.

Language minority voting is protected by the Voting Rights Act ( Civil Rights Division Home Page ). Driver's licenses are a state matter, and are a "privilege" rather than a "right". Big difference.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:08 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
I lived in Greeley for 4 years so I can easily see this happening. Even back when I lived there it was like a whole separate City on the North side of town. They had their own stores and shops so there was no need to learn English. If they didn't attend school it wasn't taught.

So much for assimilation, these people were born here and had 18 years to learn English. That isn't enough time? BAH

Old 11-05-2008, 10:42 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times
If an(undocumented) person from another country cannot read, write or speak the English language, that means they know nothing about any of the candidates up for election. They can't understand what's said in a speech, they can't read a candidates back ground or future primeses. That's like lowering the voting age to 5.
I say they shouldn't have a right to vote.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:32 PM

73 posts, read 215,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
If an(undocumented) person from another country cannot read, write or speak the English language, that means they know nothing about any of the candidates up for election. They can't understand what's said in a speech, they can't read a candidates back ground or future primeses. That's like lowering the voting age to 5.
I say they shouldn't have a right to vote.
That's why there's telemundo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration