Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 12:23 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,099,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think it could easily be that. Just one guy I know would like to bring his two kids and his elderly parents. That's 4 for just one person. Another guy is working here -- the oldest of 12 kids and he would like to bring in all his siblings because a couple need medical care, one brother already has a child of his own, and there's his mom too, she's widowed. Life back home is not as easy and they're mostly living off his remittance money now.

The politicians understand this when they talk about family reunification. They know it's many many people.
Ostensibly, the 1965 Immigration Act opened the U. S. to immigration from the rest of the world on an equal basis. But its family reunification provisions are actually biased towards the countries of origin of the most recent immigrants — that is immigrants who still have extended family abroad. The result has been "chain migration" from these parts of the world:

"Chain migration refers to the mechanism by which foreign nationals are allowed to immigrate by virtue of the ability of previous immigrants to send for their adult relatives. In the United States, chain migration is one of many reasons that legal immigration has quadrupled from levels during the 1960s. As such, it is one of the primary causes of the United States' current record-breaking immigrant population boom." (Wikipedia)

Chain migration was originally about keeping a nuclear family together. Since the late 1950's, however, chain migration policies have allowed immigrants to also send for their adult children and their spouses and for their parents and adult children of their parents. Those parents and adult children, in turn, can send for their children, their parents, and adult children of their parents — in an endless chain.

In 1982 Theodore White, a Pulitzer-Prize winning historian, would write of the Immigration Act of 1965: It was "noble, revolutionary — and probably the most thoughtless of the many acts of the Great Society."

Immigration Milestones: 1965: Family Reunification Replaces National Quotas, Part 1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 08:42 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,515,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
Ostensibly, the 1965 Immigration Act opened the U. S. to immigration from the rest of the world on an equal basis. But its family reunification provisions are actually biased towards the countries of origin of the most recent immigrants — that is immigrants who still have extended family abroad. The result has been "chain migration" from these parts of the world:

"Chain migration refers to the mechanism by which foreign nationals are allowed to immigrate by virtue of the ability of previous immigrants to send for their adult relatives. In the United States, chain migration is one of many reasons that legal immigration has quadrupled from levels during the 1960s. As such, it is one of the primary causes of the United States' current record-breaking immigrant population boom." (Wikipedia)

Chain migration was originally about keeping a nuclear family together. Since the late 1950's, however, chain migration policies have allowed immigrants to also send for their adult children and their spouses and for their parents and adult children of their parents. Those parents and adult children, in turn, can send for their children, their parents, and adult children of their parents — in an endless chain.

In 1982 Theodore White, a Pulitzer-Prize winning historian, would write of the Immigration Act of 1965: It was "noble, revolutionary — and probably the most thoughtless of the many acts of the Great Society."

Immigration Milestones: 1965: Family Reunification Replaces National Quotas, Part 1
That's why family sponsorship should be limited to immediate family. Spouse and minor children. All other immigrants should have an employer sponsor.

Immigration reform is needed but not the way some mean reform. They mean simply to throw open the borders, remove all immigration laws and any limitations and just have anyone come who feels like coming.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:58 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,036,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's why family sponsorship should be limited to immediate family. Spouse and minor children. All other immigrants should have an employer sponsor.

Immigration reform is needed but not the way some mean reform. They mean simply to throw open the borders, remove all immigration laws and any limitations and just have anyone come who feels like coming.
As you stated.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:02 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,188,930 times
we are going to see the high tech solutions kerry brought up in last elections and bush brushed aside as nonsense.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:57 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,514,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Looking at our tanking economy...............methinks that Obama will backpedal very quickly.
Methinks you're right.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:56 AM

11 posts, read 18,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vette-dude View Post
Please be firm, insist they be returned to their country, Mexico....ofcourse establish the years they may have spent in the states as a line to draw..
You know? if it was not for the "Mexican" illegals and others, all the dirty jobs you "Americans", do not want to do yourselves would not get done. They make your life a little easier to live, with very little pay, they work twice as hard, and have to face "illegal haters" like yourself. I bet if you go back far enough in your geneology, you will find somewhere in your bloodline, they were once illegal themselves.

God allows them to be here just as much as you, people that reply negatively to illegals, should remember that they are people just like all of you, and they deserve the chance to live and have chances just like you all. So if God allows them to be here, then whom are all of you to say, they can not be here! Yes, mabye they should be legalized, bot refrain from making ugly remarks like some of you do, you have no idea what those people go through and how difficult it is for them on a day by day basis.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:23 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,165,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aolazaran View Post
You know? if it was not for the "Mexican" illegals and others, all the dirty jobs you "Americans", do not want to do yourselves would not get done. They make your life a little easier to live, with very little pay, they work twice as hard, and have to face "illegal haters" like yourself. I bet if you go back far enough in your geneology, you will find somewhere in your bloodline, they were once illegal themselves.

God allows them to be here just as much as you, people that reply negatively to illegals, should remember that they are people just like all of you, and they deserve the chance to live and have chances just like you all. So if God allows them to be here, then whom are all of you to say, they can not be here! Yes, mabye they should be legalized, bot refrain from making ugly remarks like some of you do, you have no idea what those people go through and how difficult it is for them on a day by day basis.
This post is an example of the total BS propaganda spread by the pro-illegal crowd.
God doesn't vote, pay taxes, nor run for election. God is not part of the equation.
Dirty jobs americans won't do. Please give examples and proof to back up the example.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aolazaran View Post

Oh please, not this “they do the dirty work no American will do” drivel again. This vacuous mantra has been debunked more times than snow falls in Antarctica. I have NEVER hired an illegal alien, and will gladly pay more to hire a U.S. citizen. My son washes my car, mows my lawn, and rakes my leaves. I cook my own food, wash my own clothes, clean my own house, etc.

God has also “allowed” murderers, rapists, pedophiles, and all manner of scum to live in this country. Following your ‘logic’ I guess it’s God will for children to be molested, and innocent people to be raped and murdered.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:21 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,523,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
God has also “allowed” murderers, rapists, pedophiles, and all manner of scum to live in this country. Following your ‘logic’ I guess it’s God will for children to be molested, and innocent people to be raped and murdered.
I agree. While I'm a big believer in God (which, by the way, is OPTIONAL in our society), He doesn't ALWAYS do things the way I would. Some day, God may appear and make a 'statement' regarding illegal immigrants. Just how that will go, I couldn't even guess...but until He shows up, I'm afraid we'll have to just attack the problem with our own common sense....and common sense tells us that NO country can exist indefinitely, if it has no 'say' in who enters it, and no way to control its borders.

God knows, we TRY....!!!

Old 01-30-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I agree. While I'm a big believer in God (which, by the way, is OPTIONAL in our society), He doesn't ALWAYS do things the way I would. Some day, God may appear and make a 'statement' regarding illegal immigrants. Just how that will go, I couldn't even guess...but until He shows up, I'm afraid we'll have to just attack the problem with our own common sense....and common sense tells us that NO country can exist indefinitely, if it has no 'say' in who enters it, and no way to control its borders.

God knows, we TRY....!!!
Common sense, indeed. Sadly, there’s a HUGE shortage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration