U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 10:09 PM

1,459 posts, read 4,040,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
How would an illegal immigrant feel if he were to read or hear the negativity towards illegal immigrants on this site?!

I have a feeling illegals have read post in these forums. And maybe posted here as well. :eek Excuse me for laughing but I can't help it.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:07 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,885,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
If I were Latino, I would be very offended by the first reply of the thread.
If you were Latino you would be NONEXISTENT.. There is NO such thing as Latino.. It's just something someone decided to call a group of people one day for fear of offending someone.

If you take off the "o" from Latino what do you get? LATIN... L-A-T-I-N...

And last time I heard one of them speak.. It sounded like an offshoot of... SPANISH...

I can't stand this.. Latino.. Or Latin American garbage... When everyone in Central America starts speaking Latin I will start calling them Latino... Until such time they can revive a dead language, I will NEVER call them Latino.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:22 PM

18 posts, read 113,567 times
Its still very interesting to find how in this country people are so distraught and outraged by illegal immigrants.

The fact that is sadenning is not America's disdain for Illegal Immigrants in general but rather the focus on Mexican Immigrants.

This is not new but is in fact been existing in this country for over 50 years. This Country has always had an issue with Hispanic Immigrants, much more so than immigrants from any other nation. I have seen many posts on this website, particularly in reference to Southern California housing, that many of the problems with the US economy is the fault of Illegal Immigrants.

We all know that is not the obvious statement here, but that is certainly an implied argument.

There is also an argument that illegal immigrants do in fact cause direct harm to our economy but there is little fact to back this rhetoric. Most of the arguments created by critics of immigrants are primarily educated guesses about the cost to the US. You can even read this great little article on NPR how a Virginia County government tried and failed to find the costs of immigration :

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=6963966

So what is important to consider is that why the focus of hatred towards immigrants arises, and focuses on Mexican Immigrants? Does anyone on this website believe that this Country would be in such great turmoil over this issue of we had immigrants coming from say....Germany? or Greece or maybe Italy? Why is nobody angry about the Illegal Korean or Chinese Immigrants in this country?

There also appears to be little outrage about the mistreatment many Latino illegals receive when in this country. Many of these people cross into the US at great risk traveling for days through atrocious environmental conditions. Many times they put their trust into a smuggler who may or may not kidnap them to be used as a modern day slave in some remote place. (yes, this does happen in this country).

They must then, if arriving in a safe place, proceed to find some kind of job so they can start making money. Most of these people make less than minimum wage doing dangerous jobs, which by the way I highly doubt anyone on this blog would ever do in their lifetime.

Another argument that bothers me, as a Mexican, is how there is the perceived notion that Mexican immigrants come to this country so we can pay all of "their bills". Thats just another way of interpreting the stereotype that all mexicans are lazy. Well, obviously that demonstrates a lot of ignorance about Mexican Culture.

Being that I live in Los Angeles and am a Mexican I can certainly be witness that Mexicans are some of the hardest working people on this earth. How can anyone say that anyone who came crawling through a tunnel or swim a river into a foreign land to plant seeds of prosperity as "lazy" ?? Mexican and Latinos contribute immensely to our economy, seeing as they live here and therefore have to spend their money in order to do so. Thus, they contribute to the economy.

Additionally, as I know for a fact in California, the reason why hospital care is so expensive here is not because of illegal immigrants. ER visits in california are common for anyone, regardless of citizenship status. It costs the hospital $340 to see anyone at the ER, in any circumstance. The thing is, that people wind up going to ER for the common cold or flu because the local clinic was too far or closed already. So instead of paying $50 they wind up paying $340 or if they are poor they can claim for government aid, regardless of of citizenship status. There are more lower class citizens in this country than illegal immigrants. You do the math. Now you can write your senator about reforming healthcare costs to make it more reasonable for everyone, instead of whining about illegal immigrants.

So I dont know about any of you , but most of this talk about immigrants sounds more like a subtler form of racism to me. Afterall, would Caucasion upper middle class freak out more if European immigrants moved into their neighborhood or Mexican immigrants moved in??

Last edited by juanitorogelio; 02-21-2007 at 11:26 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 02-22-2007, 12:07 AM

Hardworking... You all say hardworking... Like ALL Americans sit on their butts and do nothing.

Well here is hard working.

Your clothes... Just think of all those REALLY POOR PEOPLE from 3rd world countries that make a FRACTION of what "hard working" mexicans make in the United States.

Shoes, hats, shirts, dresses, sweatshirts, pants. All of them, are normally made overseas. In places that would gladly hire ANYONE if you didn't like their working conditions.

Speaking of working conditions..

Oh think of picking crops in blazing heat, or building a house. Okay

Think of being inside a huge warehouse making nothing but clothes and have next to no break if any, and not make your quota and be threatened and beaten or whatever. Because unlike the United States, or places can do whatever they want to their workers because it's not like most 3rd world countries have a media to get in their face and say, "THATS BAD!"

So remember next time you grab a teeshirt how many people couldn't barely feed themselves because they get paid almost nothing.

Old 02-22-2007, 06:47 AM

989 posts, read 5,324,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroquoispliskin View Post

So remember next time you grab a teeshirt how many people couldn't barely feed themselves because they get paid almost nothing.
Remember that these are unskilled, undereducated, and poor people. Many are happy just to have jobs! (Something most American's can't picture..) Low pay and bad conidtions are part of the 'normal cycle of economy.' Supply and demand. America was like that once. So was England.. Globalization is the solution to all of the world's problems, believe it or not!

Last edited by newportbeachsmostwanted; 02-22-2007 at 07:03 AM..

Old 02-22-2007, 08:12 AM

451 posts, read 1,015,882 times
Quote:
Does anyone on this website believe that this Country would be in such great turmoil over this issue of we had immigrants coming from say....Germany? or Greece or maybe Italy? Why is nobody angry about the Illegal Korean or Chinese Immigrants in this country?
The last time I checked I did not see thousands of Germans,Italians,Chinese,and Koreans protesting in the streets of America demanding citizenship. I also did not notice these nationalitys holding up signs that claimed they owned and were going to take back part of the western united states.

http://www.saveourstate.org/video/Ba...ser1_15fps.wmv

http://www.saveourstate.org/video/Ba...ser2_15fps.wmv

http://www.saveourstate.org/video/Ba...ser3_15fps.wmv

If your going to post a comment atleast address the question that is asked.

Quote:
Do you Consider Illegal Mexicans Cowards?

I for one think that the illegals are cowards for not standing up and holding the politicians in Mexico accountable for the way life is in Mexico. The Mexicans choose to come to America and force the American tax payer to flip the bill for their corrupt government. The Mexicans want a free ride and they have learned that if we protest... the cowardly and always politically correct politician will ignore the true citizens of America and give us the illegal what we want.

The Mexicans should stand up and fight their corrupt government. They should stand up and fight the drug lords who run that country. If and I know it will probably never happen I would be the first to stand up and help the Mexicans free themselves from their corrupt government.

The way to free yourself from corruption is not by corrupting another

Old 02-22-2007, 08:34 AM

1,735 posts, read 4,136,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanitorogelio View Post
So I dont know about any of you , but most of this talk about immigrants sounds more like a subtler form of racism to me. Afterall, would Caucasion upper middle class freak out more if European immigrants moved into their neighborhood or Mexican immigrants moved in??
Two posts and you pull out the race card. Nice.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:38 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,690,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
it is a scapegoat. You defend your country and yourself and we are racist, go figure.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
The funny thing is this person joined February 3rd, and now they make a post. It's probably because it's someone else. It's amazing how they post right after the one person post of "just imagine if an illegal came here and read these posts."

Old 02-22-2007, 09:21 AM

2,814 posts, read 11,892,295 times
The originator of this thread is a troll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or