U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-25-2007, 02:18 AM
 
340 posts, read 669,477 times
Reputation: 149

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post
I would prefer to handle this in private, but it should serve as an educational reference to others in this sub-forum.

Whether you were making your comments in jest or in all seriousness (I really haven't a clue), I take offense to your asking my legal status, espcially after having disclosed that I am Hispanic and considering the anti-Hispanic attitude in much of the country. It's equitable to my taking a jab at your Irish ancestry and asking how many Protestants you've killed or your drinking habits. I really don't know how else to address this comment without going over the edge-- because, believe me, I'm there.

Now, to answer your question (), I am a birthed citizen () of the United States, as are both of my parents. There isn't a single illegal immigrant in my extended family, but plenty of legal ones from a few different countries (and continents, you could call us a mini United Nations).
It is too bad you feel you have to spin this so it sounds like I am against Hispanics. I take offense to the deception of your post. Please go back and read my post in detail and let me know where it states I would want any hispanics deported that are not Illegal. When I stated in my earlier post that Illegal immigration will eventually reach you in O.C., you replied that it already had, because you are a hispanic.. What exactly should someone take from your statement ??

PLEASE GET IT STRAIGHT, I AM NOT AGAINST HISPANICS, I AM AGAINST ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION... It is a fact that mexicans make up by far the majority of Illegal Immigration, therefore, they will be the race most often talked about. It is a fact of life that will probably never go away...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-25-2007, 02:19 AM
 
9,716 posts, read 12,942,815 times
Reputation: 3315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dir Drill 1 View Post
English only. Grandson of Immigrant's from Ireland.. You ??
Since you wrote this:

Quote:
can't find any buyer's in those area's
I thought English might be your second language.

Are you aware that " 's " is not how you make something a plural in English?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2007, 02:25 AM
 
340 posts, read 669,477 times
Reputation: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Since you wrote this:



I thought English might be your second language.

Are you aware that " 's " is not how you make something a plural in English?
Do you always go for the personal attacks when you cannot defend your position ??

LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Try again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2007, 10:10 AM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,710,869 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post
I would prefer to handle this in private, but it should serve as an educational reference to others in this sub-forum.

Whether you were making your comments in jest or in all seriousness (I really haven't a clue), I take offense to your asking my legal status, espcially after having disclosed that I am Hispanic and considering the anti-Hispanic attitude in much of the country. It's equitable to my taking a jab at your Irish ancestry and asking how many Protestants you've killed or your drinking habits. I really don't know how else to address this comment without going over the edge-- because, believe me, I'm there.

Now, to answer your question (), I am a birthed citizen () of the United States, as are both of my parents. There isn't a single illegal immigrant in my extended family, but plenty of legal ones from a few different countries (and continents, you could call us a mini United Nations).
Questioning an Irishman about his drinking habits is an insult?

disclaimer: I have some Irish blood in me veins
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2007, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Midwest
6,739 posts, read 8,541,977 times
Reputation: 16512
It's the illegals i have problems with. I don't care what nationality, Religon, or color, even if they were purple. I have PROBLEMS WITH THE ILLEGAL ALIENS.

I'm Irish and I take no offense to the drunk comments. Whoopie -Like the comment is going to make me cry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2007, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
202 posts, read 754,732 times
Reputation: 149
Scandinavian great grandparents here!! Wait....what do they say about us Sweds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2007, 04:08 PM
 
Location: Orange County
354 posts, read 761,894 times
Reputation: 169
I love that you brushed your blatantly offensive remark under the rug by again taking a jab at my assumption that you're anti-Hispanic. I never said that and I would appreciate an apology from you.

You plainly asked if I was an illegal immigrant. My response was that it was an offensive question, because there is anti-Hispanic sentiment in much of this country. I didn't state that you were anti-Hispanic, but the fact remains that there are a number of bigoted people (and quite a few on City-Data) that cannot make a distinction between legal and illegal immigrants and citizens of Hispanic descent.

So, again, if you'd like to realize the weight of your statement and make an honest and nonsarcastic apology, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2007, 04:17 PM
 
Location: Orange County
354 posts, read 761,894 times
Reputation: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dir Drill 1 View Post
Its too bad you feel you have to spin this so it sounds like I am against Hispanic. I take offense to the deception of your post. Please go back and read my post in detail and let me know where it states I would want any hispanics deported that are not Illegal. When I stated in my earlier post that Illegal immigration will eventually reach you in O.C., you replied that it already had, because you are a hispanic.. What exactly should someone take from your statement ??

PLEASE GET IT STRAIGHT, I AM NOT AGAINST HISPANICS, I AM AGAINST ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION... It is a fact that mexicans make up by far the majority of Illegal Immigration, therefore, they will be the race most often talked about. It is a fact of life that will probably never go away...
I've already requested an apology, but I will still comment on this post in which you were unable to realize the offensive nature of asking my legal status.

You actually didn't specify that the illegal immigration problem will reach Orange County, you stated that Hispanics will come to disrupt the balance, and I informed you that Huntington Beach is about 10% Hispanic and not yet overrun. We didn't even discuss illegal immigration, so it is a stretch for you to assume/inquire about my legal status as a Hispanic living in Orange County. I'm really not sure what was "deceptive" about saying that there is anti-Hispanic sentiment in America (which explains white-flight) and the offensiveness for a Hispanic citizen to be asked about their status.

And just for your information, Mexican is not a race nor is Hispanic. Mexican is a nationality and Mexican culture is just that, a culture. Hispanic is an ethnicity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2007, 04:19 PM
 
340 posts, read 669,477 times
Reputation: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post
I love that you brushed your blatantly offensive remark under the rug by again taking a jab at my assumption that you're anti-Hispanic. I never said that and I would appreciate an apology from you.

You plainly asked if I was an illegal immigrant. My response was that it was an offensive question, because there is anti-Hispanic sentiment in much of this country. I didn't state that you were anti-Hispanic, but the fact remains that there are a number of bigoted people (and quite a few on City-Data) that cannot make a distinction between legal and illegal immigrants and citizens of Hispanic descent.

So, again, if you'd like to realize the weight of your statement and make an honest and nonsarcastic apology, I'd greatly appreciate it.
You have your opinion, I have mine. Mine is that you are wrong, so deal with it.. I refuse to apologize for how I feel or what I say, I am an American and have the right to free speech, a right that I fought in a war over,maybe you should think about that for awhile...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2007, 04:40 PM
 
Location: South Bay, California
1,701 posts, read 5,848,477 times
Reputation: 330
False generalizations and inflamed stereotypes based on heated anger towards illegal immigrants and the illegal immigrant situation. Therefore, the statements are not politically correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top