U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 12:22 PM

202 posts, read 754,985 times

Advertisements

[quote=Amavel;389900]Traffic has been horrible in Los Angeles since the 50's (yes, before the Mexicans), back when the train system was purposefully defunct and replaced by the transit network you see today. The traffic you encountered going to/coming from LAX was not caused by illegal immigration (nor "filled up by Mexican and Chinese immigrants") but by traffic common to the Southland. Even if you had visited on the days of the protests last year, you still would have been sitting in hours of traffic during RUSH HOUR.

That's just BULL!! On the day of the Mexican protest, I had to pick someone up at the LAX airport (at rush hour). It would usually take me two hours from Northridge. It took only 45 minutes. The 405 freeway was great on that day!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 12:41 PM

1,701 posts, read 5,850,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aween View Post
That's just BULL!! On the day of the Mexican protest, I had to pick someone up at the LAX airport (at rush hour). It would usually take me two hours from Northridge. It took only 45 minutes. The 405 freeway was great on that day!!!
I think the point she's trying to make and the big picture is people are blaming all their problems on illegal immigration. I agree traffic is much worse due to illegal immigration, but are we going to deport millions of poor people to fix our commute. That doesn't sound reasonable.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I would bet that at least six out of 10 residents of Los Angeles are illegal immigrants.
I appreciate your respectful tone towards illegal immigrants. I think the number you exposed is a little high, Latinos tend to be more family oriented and "go out as a family," I think generally more than white folks. If you visited, I can completely see why you would jump to this conclusion.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:50 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,700,150 times
As of 2005 LA is 46.8 % hispanic NOT including Illegals, so it could very well be as much as the poster stated.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:57 PM

202 posts, read 754,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
I think the point she's trying to make and the big picture is people are blaming all their problems on illegal immigration. I agree traffic is much worse due to illegal immigration, but are we going to deport millions of poor people to fix our commute. That doesn't sound reasonable.
Deporting ALL illegals sounds quite reasonable to me.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:04 PM

31 posts, read 85,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aween View Post
Deporting ALL illegals sounds quite reasonable to me.
The problem with that idea is that it would cause a huge riot. Can you imagine what it would be like if we tried to remove 13-million illegal immigrants from the USA who did not wish to leave? We would have anarchy in the streets. It would be worse than what we see happening in Iraq right now. It would take hundreds of thousands of military personell to even attempt it, and even then it would be a bloody nightmare.

Maybe we could possibly look at re-locating one- or two-million of the illegals who are in Los Angeles to another part of the country? That would deal with the horrible local problem in Los Angeles.

Unfortunately, I believe we are stuck with the illegals who have made there way here. Now let's stop wasting our energy on trying to get them deported, and start focusing on keeping more from coming in.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:07 PM

Voyager,

Many attempt to learn English even though they may currently not know the language. The ESL classes in California are packed with Latin immigrants trying to learn English. Not to mention, the many I know who repeatedly send in a request to try to gain citizenship.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:15 PM

31 posts, read 85,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Voyager,

Many attempt to learn English even though they may currently not know the language. The ESL classes in California are packed with Latin immigrants trying to learn English. Not to mention, the many I know who repeatedly send in a request to try to gain citizenship.
What does this have to do with the health care facilities in California going bankrupt due to having to treat uninsured illegal immigrants by law? What does this have to do with the California public school systems collapsing due to being forced to accommodate millions of children of illegal immigrants? What does this have to do with the crime rates going off the deep end due to rapes, thefts, and murders by illegal immigrants?

Sounds like a rabbit trail to me.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:23 PM

1,735 posts, read 4,139,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
What does this have to do with the health care facilities in California going bankrupt due to having to treat uninsured illegal immigrants by law? What does this have to do with the California public school systems collapsing due to being forced to accommodate millions of children of illegal immigrants? What does this have to do with the crime rates going off the deep end due to rapes, thefts, and murders by illegal immigrants?

Sounds like a rabbit trail to me.

What???
I think you quoted the wrong post.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:23 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,700,150 times
We just need to make it so unpleasant here they dont want to be here. No work , no rentals, no freebies , no come to america.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or