U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 03:29 PM

1,735 posts, read 4,140,654 times

Advertisements

Might be more cost effective to invade and take the whole thing over. That is if the libs donít cry too much, after all they do have oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 03:29 PM

31 posts, read 85,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
What???
I think you quoted the wrong post.
I quoted a post that was informing me how many immigrants were attempting to learn English. I didn't think that was a valid defense to justify the illegal immigration problem. I heard the same argument when I called Diane Feinstein's office earlier today right before they hung up on me saying, "We are not here to help you overcome culture shock."

Why is it that the far left-wing liberals tend to sideline every valid argument against illegal immigration by bringing up a completely unassociated topic to argue about? I am a former Republican turned moderate Democrat, and I am getting so fed up with the extremists on both sides. All they want to do is argue about their extremist positions instead of fixing problems!

Last edited by Voyager; 02-23-2007 at 03:41 PM..

Old 02-23-2007, 04:26 PM

6,739 posts, read 8,547,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
We just need to make it so unpleasant here they dont want to be here. No work , no rentals, no freebies , no come to america.

I agree!!!!!!

Old 02-23-2007, 04:39 PM

1,701 posts, read 5,851,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I quoted a post that was informing me how many immigrants were attempting to learn English. I didn't think that was a valid defense to justify the illegal immigration problem. I heard the same argument when I called Diane Feinstein's office earlier today right before they hung up on me saying, "We are not here to help you overcome culture shock."

Why is it that the far left-wing liberals tend to sideline every valid argument against illegal immigration by bringing up a completely unassociated topic to argue about? I am a former Republican turned moderate Democrat, and I am getting so fed up with the extremists on both sides. All they want to do is argue about their extremist positions instead of fixing problems!

Whoa! I was only explaining one point. Easy there. I wasn't justifying the illegal immigration problem, an original poster had stated how they don't attempt to learn English, and I wanted them to cleary understand some of them do try. "Far left-wing liberals are for illegal immigration," is a complete generalization, some conservatives believes in points liberals believe, and some liberals believe in what some conservatives believe. Where might you live, since you've visited Los Angeles for seven days, and have contact Senator Diane Feinstein's office?!

Old 02-23-2007, 04:45 PM

I'm not going to point out whose from where, but I would like this person and others to understand key demographic differences. I'm not puting anyone on the spot or trying to be disrespectful. I just figured out according to a 2004 estimate, that only 1.7% of Kansas' population consists of illegal immigrants. I see a lack of interaction can bring ignorance, if not integrated into such a small demographic per area. I believe interaction more so than age is the real issue in understanding these people.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:49 PM

Another poster stated how poor experiences with illegal immigrants have shaped her thinking towards the majority of them. Well, how about I come to your state, meet some rude people, and then come back to my state and tell my friends how rude your state's people are from a generalized and ignorant point of view.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:04 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,703,966 times
Well my experience hasnt been just one state but four of them. And now most of the people here are very rude, considering the population of illegals here. And it isnt just our own expereinces but people we talk to that have these expereinces and things we hear about happening all over the USA.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:32 PM

32,022 posts, read 17,282,535 times
How the tide has turned. I remember being in LA when the first trickle began way back in the day. I also know first hand the culture shock of being taken over by a foreign race. Except the last time it happened, it was called Manifest Destiny. But that's another subject.

Most immigrants who came =legally= that is, by the statue of liberty, did not -speaka inglish-, but their children learned. But in L.A. there is less push for speaking english and in fact no need to, which really pissess off the average joe.

Since I grew up around the recent illegals, I know most work very hard, as hard as the early anglos did who came and built this great country back in the 1700 and 1800's. (The idiot gangbangers are a wholly different story) I do not hate the illegals as a whole, especially if they come here looking for a better way of life. Imagine that! Faulting govt or liberals is not going to solve the problem either.

Had to laugh when I overheard someone complaining about mexican invasion and someone said, "Now you know how the Indians felt!" Sorry, no solutions here, just wanted to rant.

Salsa, anyone?

Old 02-23-2007, 05:44 PM

5 posts, read 19,571 times
Voyager, you are "right-on". This illegal immigration thing has to stop. how can our government, by the people, give our country away to a bunch of creeps from South America.
A good compromise might be to allow folks to reside here, but not work and never achieve citizenship. After all, we are allowed to reside in their country. If that is the case, we need to "lock-up" our country so these folks cannot gain access to our resources. No more "Anchor Babies", please!
This is the direction we should be headed.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:58 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,022,764 times
Redbird, why on earth would you claim that there exists no reason to learn English in the United States? Comensurately, would you claim there is no reason to learn Spanish in Mexico, Farsi in Iran or Mandarin in China?

Or are you singling out my locale of Los Angeles as a separatist defection from the United States? Perchance because of its influx of 300 illegals arriving here daily, breaking an important Federal law?

If so, you are condemning the next generation here to that of a permanent underclass of separatists who cannot function in the lingua franca (that's Latin) of the nation as a whole. A whole generation, stuck in L.A., who cannot pursue higher education nor corporate promotion because they just wanna defy gringo and not learn English?

According to my husband the public school teacher's milieu, students here in L.A. speak and write neither English nor Spanish particularly well without intensive intervention. We also live in an area that changed from actual diversity into predominantly illegals, and watched how graffiti, robbery, vandalism and gangbanging clearly intensified thereafter.

The lawlessness evinced when illegals come here continues as they settle, with the mindset of "getting away with it," and distrust or outright malignance towards anyone not from "your home country." Unlike immigrants of yore, these people do not want to be citizens and contribute to the wellbeing of all here in the United States. Just their own. No E Pluribus Unum, just me, me, me.

Last edited by fastfilm; 02-23-2007 at 06:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or