U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2007, 06:02 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProsperFlies View Post
I find the misuse of the term Illegal that our great nation uses to stigmatize the immigrants very atrocious. Is it illegal to want to better your life or the life your love ones? I know that I have not lived in a 3rd world country where food and work is scarce and the only way your family may see the light of a new day is if you risk your life and the well being of your family to come to this Promise Land we call United States of America. What is this Pledge of Allegiance we teach our children. The pledge goes as follows: I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all. Did we ever think that those so-called “illegal” children were reciting this pledge? Have we forgotten what our fore fathers placed to all the people of this Nation being afforded the freedom to pursue "life, liberty, and happiness?" That’s what an immigrant wants can we as a nation commiserate and share it?
Aside from the obvious word 'illegal'; I can name two other things.......

One: most Mexicans are not exactly staving to death--------the per capita COB is above $10K vs., say China or India which is under $8K

CIA Factbook

And the other is that Mexico has some very strict illegal immigration laws of its own so they are in no position to gripe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 06:03 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProsperFlies View Post
I find the misuse of the term Illegal that our great nation uses to stigmatize the immigrants very atrocious. Is it illegal to want to better your life or the life your love ones? I know that I have not lived in a 3rd world country where food and work is scarce and the only way your family may see the light of a new day is if you risk your life and the well being of your family to come to this Promise Land we call United States of America. What is this Pledge of Allegiance we teach our children. The pledge goes as follows: I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all. Did we ever think that those so-called “illegal” children were reciting this pledge? Have we forgotten what our fore fathers placed to all the people of this Nation being afforded the freedom to pursue "life, liberty, and happiness?" That’s what an immigrant wants can we as a nation commiserate and share it?
The word "illegal" isn't a slur---it describes a legal condition. If you build a garage without a permit, it's "illegal".
Yes, people have the right to a better life. Millions of people have chosen to immigrate here, and most have been admitted. But every country has a right to its sovereignty. I can't live in your house without your permission. It doesn't matter if I'm nice and you're not---you STILL have the right to keep me out of your home. That's how laws work....and without laws, we'd have chaos. Surely you must realize this. Because I have a "right to work" doesn't mean I can force you to drive me to my job. Because I have a "right to eat" doen't mean I can get into your refrigerator. Your analogies aren't valid.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:08 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,157,153 times
Does the CIA go to each and every village and take the time to count the income of every single family in Mexico?

Old 10-15-2007, 10:29 PM

447 posts, read 705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Does the CIA go to each and every village and take the time to count the income of every single family in Mexico?

no...but the census does every ten years in the u.s...and randomly every five years......so where do the numbers come from???? you take a calculated guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
As we are all aware, George W. Bush has wasted over 400-billion dollars of the USA taxpayer's money on a failed war in Iraq that was initiated based on false intelligence. What could this money have been better used on?

What if we had spent this 400-billion dollars on building new manufacturing plants, hospitals, and public schools on every street corner in Mexico? This would accomplish multiple goals:
  • Give the Mexicans a reason to stay in their own country with their own families and earn a decent living.
  • Transform the failing economy of Mexico and afford their citizens the luxuries of automobiles, health care, good food and clothing, air conditioning, and other things that would make staying in Mexico much more attractive.
  • With Americans footing the bill for the Mexican manufacturing plants that would pay lower wages than their USA counterparts, it would allow the USA to compete with the cheap-labor Chinese manufacturers and reduce the huge trade deficit that we have with them.
  • Reduce the load on the over-burdened public school systems and health care industries in the USA that have been overwhelmed with illegal immigrants.
Just an idea. I don't see anyone in government proposing any solutions to the problem. Granted, this one is probably something that would never be considered, but it would probably work if it was.

i dont need to read the other posts to have an opinion on this....first off, do you really think that the war in iraq is another viet nam?
i hate to disagree with you, but , i have several freinds and family who have served in iraq, and afghanistan, and they have told me that what is really happening in those wartorn countries is not what the media shows us.....
have you ever watched wag the dog?
exactly what is happening in the news media....
they want us to believe that illegals are victims of horrible conditions and they want us to beleive we are not winning the war on terrorism....have you seen a terror warning gauge on the news these days? why not?
because they have focused their news on brittany spears....or lyndsey lohan...they do not want us to know the truth in anything, because if we did, then panic would set in....
i guess what i'm asking is, if you saw the good that has happened to iraq or afghanistan would you believe the billions spent on the wars were spent rightly? and if you saw the horror of illegal immigration, would you believe that illegal immigration was bad????????

trust me...they only show us what they want us to see...if you are watching, or listening then you know the real truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
I think that was part of the goal of Nafta. They ran into problems when the Mexican govt promised to invest billions to upgrade roads, schooling, sanitation, housing, electrical grid, etc. then never did. I believe what factories there are are located in the northern part of the country where some infrastructure is in place. It is not realistic to build a factory in a country where there is not even a reliable source of water or electricity. And, frankly, I think the Mexican govt needs to take the lead here. It is their country. If they show an honest desire to turn things around, to change their corrupt ways and create a Mexico that can provide a decent standard of living for it's citizens, I am all in favor of lending a hand. But we can't do this for them anymore than we can turn the country of Iraq into a functioning democracy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/18/we...f=weekinreview (article on Nafta)

reminds me of the aid sent to ethiopia....millions sent to save a starving nation...what happened? the government took the food, and let their people die...and they are still dying today.

Quote:
Maybe we should have invaded Mexico and occupied it instead of Iraq?

(Being sarcastic, of course.)

occupied iraq?

unbelieveable....as if we are the nazis.

this is not about iraq, this is about millions inavding america....who will be our savior?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
ROTF, how did a man shrink himself so that he could fit in the glove compartment?

it happens all the time...whether you believe it or not...sorry the truth is out there.

Quote:
I agree 100%. However, if we're going to throw hundreds of billions of dollars away on hopeless causes such as an illegal war in Iraq (on the other side of the world), I think it would be better spent making Mexico (our neighbor) a better place to live so that its residents have a reason to stay there instead of coming to the USA illegally. We could probably even build a fence on the border with the several billion dollars in leftover change.

illegal war...did you watch the news while we were debating the need to go into iraq with the united nations?
i saw many convoies of military vehicles leaving iraq and going into syria and iran , who knows with what as their cargo?
if we had gone into iraq as quickly and as quietly as we did in afghanistan maybe there would be no question as to the weapons of mass destruction....remember sadamm killed thousnads of kurds with these same weapons of mass destruction never found in iraq to this date....
sleep with your blinders on, but the weapons of mass destruction do exsist, only in other countries now......
but this isnt the issue, this forum is about illegals, or at least that's what i thought it was about....have a nice night...going to bed.

Last edited by Yac; 10-17-2007 at 05:33 AM.. Reason: 6 posts in a row .... merged!

Old 10-24-2007, 06:09 AM

4 posts, read 6,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
You have no idea what I think of illegals personally or how I treat them. I don't believe that you are in a position to assume anything. I've worked with a group that goes to the border to supply illegals with water and other necessities. I tutor their children in English at school. I don't treat illegal aliens as "sub-human." I can't say what I'd do in their position, but that doesn't make lawlessness okay. I feel compassion for these people, but that doesn't mean that I condone their actions. I blame the government for allowing them to be here.

The illegals who really chap my A** though are the revisionist history reconquistas who want to come to my country and tell me that I am the one that has to go. My ancestors were here long before theirs, as were the ancestors of the majority of Americans. They are the racists they proclaim any who oppose them to be. I can definitely live without them and I can live without importing illegal alien crime into this country. I lump those racists and criminals within the lowest form of pond scum which accumulates on the surface of humanity...right alongside child molesters, rapists, murderers, etc. of ANY race, creed, color, or nationality. There is nothing redeeming about these people that is good for "the whole."

Didn't your mama ever tell you that your assumptions make an A** out of you and me?
Uh.. they were here too genius. Mexicans have Native American blood. Just because Mayans and Aztecs were more advanced than northern tribes at the time doesn't make them any less indengenous.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:29 AM

537 posts, read 312,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Do you? Mexicans are not starving at all and the whole world knows that fact.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:32 AM

2,493 posts, read 3,060,118 times
I think a lot of people in this country are frustrated and it is easier to blame problems on the immigrants. It's a distraction. The real problem is our own government. Look all the money that could of been put into our education system or preventing what happened during Katrina. No, easier to blame the immigrants, and I government wants us to keep thinking its the immigrants.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:51 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunarcadia View Post
Uh.. they were here too genius. Mexicans have Native American blood. Just because Mayans and Aztecs were more advanced than northern tribes at the time doesn't make them any less indengenous.
And; several of the anti illegal immigrants posters on this board are of indigenous heritage too.

Besides: Mexico really needs to keep its mouth shut as well------being a very White Supremacist country (worse than the USA I suspect).

The standard of beauty SOB is white skin and blue eyes------which eliminates well over 90% of all Mexican citizens.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:12 AM

8 posts, read 9,309 times
Default Get an education!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
Two different walls to do two different things...We are not all immigrants, where did get that from ? That one has been tried and failed to many times, come up with something new....you need to dust off the old Webster and find out what illegal immigrants are....
I know what illegal immigrants are, those without proper documentation to be in the US. I don't remember anything in history that said the first people here that weren't Indians had a visa! Therefore, illegal! Now i can only imagine that your next post will be "I was born here, I am an American", which is true. But if it's ok for you to be born here and be American, why is it not ok for another child to be born here and be American (from parents illegal)? It's just the way white man took over and wrote the laws to suit their needs!

The illegals may not pay S.S. or "taxes", but they are taxed to death just like Americans are on everything they buy. Don't tell me they don't pay taxes, we all do, on everything!

Old 11-28-2007, 09:19 AM

8 posts, read 9,309 times
Default Read the names of the dead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZE562 View Post
how much of all this should we tax payers endure, being legal is a right that is earned and also endowed but the misuse of generosity is an injustice to all people of this nation of all races, and stature must not prevail to see just any other to come in and cheat, steal, fraud, swindel, lie, the system that we taxpayers pay into is just down right wrong.
they won't fight for our country but they will mine it for what its got.
be sure of what you are talking about and where its going??
Won't fight for our country? Are you kidding? Read the list of fallen soldiers and count to see how many of them are of Hispanic desent. You need to figure out which group you think steals, cheats, ect., not all of them are Hispanic, although you lump everyone that looks like one in that catagory. For example, the gangs said to be coming from Mexico (News meaning Hispanics) are mostly coming from El Salvador. Completly different people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or