U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2007, 09:21 AM

8 posts, read 9,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProsperFlies View Post
I find the misuse of the term Illegal that our great nation uses to stigmatize the immigrants very atrocious. Is it illegal to want to better your life or the life your love ones? I know that I have not lived in a 3rd world country where food and work is scarce and the only way your family may see the light of a new day is if you risk your life and the well being of your family to come to this Promise Land we call United States of America. What is this Pledge of Allegiance we teach our children. The pledge goes as follows: I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all. Did we ever think that those so-called “illegal” children were reciting this pledge? Have we forgotten what our fore fathers placed to all the people of this Nation being afforded the freedom to pursue "life, liberty, and happiness?" That’s what an immigrant wants can we as a nation commiserate and share it?
I agree whole heartedly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 09:25 AM

Default Corrupt government

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
I think that was part of the goal of Nafta. They ran into problems when the Mexican govt promised to invest billions to upgrade roads, schooling, sanitation, housing, electrical grid, etc. then never did. I believe what factories there are are located in the northern part of the country where some infrastructure is in place. It is not realistic to build a factory in a country where there is not even a reliable source of water or electricity. And, frankly, I think the Mexican govt needs to take the lead here. It is their country. If they show an honest desire to turn things around, to change their corrupt ways and create a Mexico that can provide a decent standard of living for it's citizens, I am all in favor of lending a hand. But we can't do this for them anymore than we can turn the country of Iraq into a functioning democracy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/18/we...f=weekinreview (article on Nafta)
Mexico isn't the only corrupt Government. The US has helped out much worse corrupt countries than Mexico. At least Mexico is connected to the US!

Old 11-28-2007, 10:28 AM

Default canadian borders taken the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
WERD. That's because Canada is a NICE place to live.
I am sure Canada is a nice place to live, I have visited and it is beautiful as well. The people were friendly, but then again I was on P.E.I! I don't have a problem with Canadians, sorry you misread what I said. My point was to be fair......illegal immigrants do not come through Mexico alone. My point was they get through all borders! The American government and news media try to brainwash us into thinking that they all come in from Mexico........Everything was fine until Mexico refused to back Bush in this stupid, sensless war!

Old 12-25-2007, 09:48 PM

8 posts, read 9,634 times
Default are you willing to become homeless???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProsperFlies View Post
I find the misuse of the term Illegal that our great nation uses to stigmatize the immigrants very atrocious. Is it illegal to want to better your life or the life your love ones? I know that I have not lived in a 3rd world country where food and work is scarce and the only way your family may see the light of a new day is if you risk your life and the well being of your family to come to this Promise Land we call United States of America. What is this Pledge of Allegiance we teach our children. The pledge goes as follows: I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all. Did we ever think that those so-called “illegal” children were reciting this pledge? Have we forgotten what our fore fathers placed to all the people of this Nation being afforded the freedom to pursue "life, liberty, and happiness?" That’s what an immigrant wants can we as a nation commiserate and share it?

Question....

Are you yourself willing to go homeless on the illegal immigrants behalf??
Are you willing to absorb higher tax's to help pay for the welfare costs?
Are you willing to sacrafice your very own social security??
Will you accept a higher crime rate nationwide??
Years ago Iwould agree that they were makeing better lives for themselves however due to the breakdowns in our welfare systems, they have learned how to use it against us.
You may ask anyone of them as to why work in the U.S. and then 5 years down the road they return to their home country and live like kings.
Can you do that?? where is the balance there??
If a serious war broke out, would they be willing to fight for this country??
Just ask yourself these questions and I will bet the answer will be no to at least 4 of those questions.
We all know that there must be new rules to immigration nowdays.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:59 PM

Question....

Are you yourself willing to go homeless on the illegal immigrants behalf??
Are you willing to absorb higher tax's to help pay for the welfare costs?
Are you willing to sacrafice your very own social security??
Will you accept a higher crime rate nationwide??
Years ago Iwould agree that they were makeing better lives for themselves however due to the breakdowns in our welfare systems, they have learned how to use it against us.
You may ask anyone of them as to why work in the U.S. and then 5 years down the road they return to their home country and live like kings.
Can you do that?? where is the balance there??
If a serious war broke out, would they be willing to fight for this country?? and I am talking about the ones that are illegal.
Just ask yourself these questions and I will bet the answer will be no to at least 4 of those questions.
We all know that there must be new rules to immigration nowdays because the status quo has changed.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:16 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meb72 View Post
What is it with Americans wanting to build a wall between the US and Mexico? If I remember correctly (and I am sure I do), a well known Republican was extremly vital in bringing DOWN a wall that seperated two countries that were not on this continent!
Do you have a fence around your house or lock your doors ever?

But --- the German wall separated one country, one people. The border wall separated two very different nations.

Let's have Mexico end all it's immigration laws first. Mexico can be honest and tear down it's own borders and invite anyone from anywhere in the world to come to Mexico and have the Mexican taxpayers provide their support.

Why should the USA become the only nation in the world without any immigration laws or borders? That's completely stupid.

Also -- Mexicans do not have some racist right to come to the USA -- we deport Haitian boat people -- no one is fussing about that.

We should not give preference to one ethnicity to come here -- if we need immigrants we should choose only those who come here because they want to be American and no preference should be given for ethnicity reasons.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:31 AM

29 posts, read 51,298 times
agreeeded they need to respect our country, so why not let them serve in the armed forces,the ones that could'nt do that could serve time in a work force for the goverment while they learn english and become documented.
keep them from breeding long enough to be responsible citenzens paying taxes and health insurance!

Bet they all run the other way when the freebies stop!

Old 12-26-2007, 11:19 AM

The immigrants in this country say that they are the work engine in this country, They are the ones responsible for keeping our food prices low. Well now!!! Everything is not being said. Yes some pick the crops and do the dishes but this country survived quite well without them before and as far as keeping our food prices down, what a laugh,
They also up the welfare costs, medical costs, and don't pay a dime in any tax's.
can anyone really define the diffrence between legal and illegal??
Anyone who tries to justify illegal immigation does not have a leg to stand on.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:20 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Do you have a fence around your house or lock your doors ever?

But --- the German wall separated one country, one people. The border wall separated two very different nations.

Let's have Mexico end all it's immigration laws first. Mexico can be honest and tear down it's own borders and invite anyone from anywhere in the world to come to Mexico and have the Mexican taxpayers provide their support.

Why should the USA become the only nation in the world without any immigration laws or borders? That's completely stupid.

Also -- Mexicans do not have some racist right to come to the USA -- we deport Haitian boat people -- no one is fussing about that.

We should not give preference to one ethnicity to come here -- if we need immigrants we should choose only those who come here because they want to be American and no preference should be given for ethnicity reasons.
To run with your ball further; the German people on both sides of the Berlin Wall wanted it down.

Otherwise; I agree with your comments line for line

Old 12-27-2007, 09:34 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZE562 View Post
The immigrants in this country say that they are the work engine in this country, They are the ones responsible for keeping our food prices low. Well now!!! Everything is not being said. Yes some pick the crops and do the dishes but this country survived quite well without them before and as far as keeping our food prices down, what a laugh,
They also up the welfare costs, medical costs, and don't pay a dime in any tax's.
can anyone really define the diffrence between legal and illegal??
Anyone who tries to justify illegal immigation does not have a leg to stand on.

Yes -- anyone who has been to the grocery store lately knows that 20 million illegals are not doing a good job of keeping food prices low -- not at all.

How much was a head of lettuce in 1985 -- before the big amnesty? Probably $0.10 or so. Now a head of lettuce can be up close to $1.50.

And milk is way up. Close to $5.00 a gallon in many places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or