U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2008, 06:36 PM

4 posts, read 5,383 times

Advertisements

People do have a right to come here. I am no better than anyone. I am a firm believer in sticking by the choices we make. If someone chooses not to go to college, don't blame the Mexicans when you can't make ends meet. Life is hard, no matter how high someones income is...or how educated they are. Everyone struggles, just on a different levels. My struggles are no different than yours. I have been unemployed, I have been hungry, I have ran my car out of gas, I have had a few health issues, I have been a single parent, I have worked two jobs, and, most importantly, I have learned to make better choices. I don't think all Mexican immigrants should be blamed for what is incomplete or wrong in the USA. They see an opportunity, and go for it....it's the same opportunities we all have. The only difference is Americans take those opportunties for granted, and blame others ( and the government ) for hardships and inequalities.
Arabs...where I live, they own most of the carryout/convenience type stores. They drive Escalades and Hummers. They came here the same way, some legally, some illegally...do I blame them for making money? Do I blame them for my struggles? NO! They are some of the nicest people I have ever met in my life. They work from sun up to midnight, and don't complain, or blame others for failures. They are always happy to see you, and yet there is always someone saying something about how they shouldn't be here... Tell me why they shouldn't? They pay into this economy by means of taxes, their stores are always full of customers, and they help out in the community. Why? I can't wait to see all the posts tomorrow...I love you guys!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 07:01 PM

8,161 posts, read 9,363,321 times
First off, you claim everyone has a right to come here. Really? So where is the right granted? Do you not respect the laws of this country? And what does going to college or not have to do with someone being Mexican? Naivety just oozes from your posts. The world is not all flowers and hugs, and there are very real and devastating effects to unbridled illegal immigration (hint: Mexico itself is very strict on illegal immigration!). No one is claiming they are better than someone else. We are however claiming that those wishing to come must honor the system in place and observe the laws of this sovereign nation. The very citizens that have worked so hard to make this nation so great to come to in the first place deserve better than this!!

Old 02-28-2008, 07:10 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,042,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
the part that makes mexicans the only illegals because of skin color.
YOU are the one making this an issue, not anyone else. The majority of illegals are Mexican, so the majority of illegals causing problems in society are Mexican, THAT is the reason you hear about them most often, NOT because of race. If the Irish mafia were constantly in the Media complaining about how Irish illegals are treated and that they deserve rights, if there were millions of IRISH marching in May of '06 waving Irish flags and demanding rights they don't have, or if you were constantly annoyed with Irish blasting riverdance folk music at 10,000 decibals until 3 am the scenario would be the EXACT SAME.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:18 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJennGo View Post
People do have a right to come here. I am no better than anyone. I am a firm believer in sticking by the choices we make. If someone chooses not to go to college, don't blame the Mexicans when you can't make ends meet. Life is hard, no matter how high someones income is...or how educated they are. Everyone struggles, just on a different levels. My struggles are no different than yours. I have been unemployed, I have been hungry, I have ran my car out of gas, I have had a few health issues, I have been a single parent, I have worked two jobs, and, most importantly, I have learned to make better choices. I don't think all Mexican immigrants should be blamed for what is incomplete or wrong in the USA. They see an opportunity, and go for it....it's the same opportunities we all have. The only difference is Americans take those opportunties for granted, and blame others ( and the government ) for hardships and inequalities.
Arabs...where I live, they own most of the carryout/convenience type stores. They drive Escalades and Hummers. They came here the same way, some legally, some illegally...do I blame them for making money? Do I blame them for my struggles? NO! They are some of the nicest people I have ever met in my life. They work from sun up to midnight, and don't complain, or blame others for failures. They are always happy to see you, and yet there is always someone saying something about how they shouldn't be here... Tell me why they shouldn't? They pay into this economy by means of taxes, their stores are always full of customers, and they help out in the community. Why? I can't wait to see all the posts tomorrow...I love you guys!!!
Remember:

Legal immigrants---------------good.

Illegal immigrants-------bad.

Enablers of illegal immigrants--------very bad=criminals.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:22 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,042,156 times
Quote:
Do you understand the meaning of "illegal"? And you will be one of those that can't stand when the anti-illegal side generalizes I'm sure, yet you want to generalize the entire illegal population as "the nicest people I have ever met in my life. They work from sun up to midnight, and don't complain, or blame others for failures. They are always happy to see you"? Do you have the slightest clue how many murders, rapes, molestations, etc. are committed by illegals?

In response to your statement "People do have a right to come here", do you mean even by illegal means? What about all the legal immigrants who pay their dues and wait patiently to come to this country, is it fair that people ignore our laws and skip the process? Is it fair that LEGAL immigration is adversly affected, that many will not be able to obtain citizenship because of the problems caused by the millions here ILLEGALLY?

Most of what you wrote blurs the line between LEGAL and ILLEGAL immigration. Most everyone on this board is all for legal immigration, but are disgusted by ILLEGAL immigration, do you understand the difference between the two?

Old 02-28-2008, 10:51 PM

9,807 posts, read 12,899,825 times
--people do have a right to come here------

Once you post a blatant lie as a start of your opinion, I quit reading your post.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:44 AM

407 posts, read 714,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
--people do have a right to come here------

Once you post a blatant lie as a start of your opinion, I quit reading your post.
Ain't that the truth!!!

Old 02-29-2008, 11:29 AM

1,861 posts, read 2,967,537 times
People do NOT have a right to come here, unless they go through our channels.

We get to decide who comes in, and who doesn't, just like every other country.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:16 PM

9,742 posts, read 9,059,856 times
Quote:
People do have a right to come here.
Where in the US Constitution can I find this right?
Quote:
I am no better than anyone. I am a firm believer in sticking by the choices we make. If someone chooses not to go to college, don't blame the Mexicans when you can't make ends meet. Life is hard, no matter how high someones income is...or how educated they are. Everyone struggles, just on a different levels. My struggles are no different than yours. I have been unemployed, I have been hungry, I have ran my car out of gas, I have had a few health issues, I have been a single parent, I have worked two jobs, and, most importantly, I have learned to make better choices. I don't think all Mexican immigrants should be blamed for what is incomplete or wrong in the USA. They see an opportunity, and go for it....it's the same opportunities we all have. The only difference is Americans take those opportunties for granted, and blame others ( and the government ) for hardships and inequalities.
It's disheartening to see such naivete...and arrogance.

Do you not see that "I'm no better than anyone" followed by "If someone chooses not to go to college" reeks of ironic elitism? Obviously, you see "the Mexicans" as a lower class people, who don't go to college. Obviously, you see college grads as a higher class people than others. Do you think everyone can go to college? Do you think a college education is simply a matter of choice?

I don't believe for one minute all the hardships you claim to have suffered. Your rhetoric indicates a naive, pampered, idealistic elitist, not a working person, as most Americans are.

FYI, immigration is a privilege, not a right.

Last edited by nvxplorer; 02-29-2008 at 02:43 PM..

Old 02-29-2008, 03:56 PM

407 posts, read 714,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Remember:

Legal immigrants---------------good.

Illegal immigrants-------bad.

Enablers of illegal immigrants--------very bad=criminals.
Simple and succinct!! Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or