U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2008, 02:06 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,586,415 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry, but the 40 million figure is still ludicrous. Remember, illegals come and go. The population of America has not even increased by ten percent since 2000. If we've received 40 million illegals, we'd have a population closing in on 320 million. The Census does a very credible job of estimating the population every year. Do you think that they're overlooking 25 million people? Get real.

You don't need to exaggerate; the problem is here and real. Using a term like 40 million destroys your credibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 07:04 AM

407 posts, read 715,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmulk View Post
I'm sorry, but the 40 million figure is still ludicrous. Remember, illegals come and go. The population of America has not even increased by ten percent since 2000. If we've received 40 million illegals, we'd have a population closing in on 320 million. The Census does a very credible job of estimating the population every year. Do you think that they're overlooking 25 million people? Get real.

You don't need to exaggerate; the problem is here and real. Using a term like 40 million destroys your credibility.
The 40 million is no more ludicrous than the idiot 12 million the politicos have been banting around for over 6 years now. It probably is closer to somewhere between 20-25 million, in my opinion. The illegals that come here just do not come and go as you suggest for the most part. Many are now leaving the country because of the harsh laws that have been put in place but before that, they had it made in the shade and they knew it.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:11 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,654,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthMother1951 View Post
The 40 million is no more ludicrous than the idiot 12 million the politicos have been banting around for over 6 years now. It probably is closer to somewhere between 20-25 million, in my opinion. The illegals that come here just do not come and go as you suggest for the most part. Many are now leaving the country because of the harsh laws that have been put in place but before that, they had it made in the shade and they knew it.
I tend to side a bit more with bobmulk here; that stated, 20 million questionable 'residents' including their (technically) US citizen minor age Anchor Babies I do believe admittedly.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:24 AM

407 posts, read 715,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I tend to side a bit more with bobmulk here; that stated, 20 million questionable 'residents' including their (technically) US citizen minor age Anchor Babies I do believe admittedly.
That is ok but I know that the 12 million number is ludicrous because they have been using that number for over 6 years now and we all know that more and more have continually entered this country illegally. I believe that there is closer to 20 million, and maybe more, all over the country.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:27 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,177,004 times
So the figures from the Border Patrol are bunk? They estimate that over 4 million a year cross our southern border and since that border is their responsibility wouldn't it follow that their figures are at least close to accurate?

All I said was do the math, I didn't make up the numbers, they are what they are. BTW, Bear Stearns estimate of 20 million was back in 2005, have we not had ANY MORE since then?

Old 03-02-2008, 10:39 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,654,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
So the figures from the Border Patrol are bunk? They estimate that over 4 million a year cross our southern border and since that border is their responsibility wouldn't it follow that their figures are at least close to accurate?

All I said was do the math, I didn't make up the numbers, they are what they are. BTW, Bear Stearns estimate of 20 million was back in 2005, have we not had ANY MORE since then?
The '4 million' number crossing our southern border may be valid; that stated, many of those 'crossings' may be illegals caught multiple times and returned to Mexico skewing the raw numbers higher.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:51 AM

15,756 posts, read 32,530,126 times
CIS which is basically opposed to the present immigration policy whether legal or illegal has a very exhaustive study on the immigration population. See..

Center for Immigration Studies

They estimate an illegal population of 9.6 to 9.8 million in march 2005 increasing at a rate of about 700,000 per year. That would put the present illegal population at 11.7 to 11.9 million. It is likely that it has rolled off a bit in recent years so that is likely a high estimate.

Inclusion of children born in the US would of course be xenophobic baiting...their citizenship being granted on the same basis as that given to the children of the native born.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:21 AM

5 posts, read 46,645 times
["We have got to eliminate the gringo, and what I mean by that is if the worst comes to the worst, we have got to kill him."-- Professor Jose Angel Gutierrez, University of Texas]

Opposition to illegal immigration is widespread but those who support it are far more motivated and with good reason: they have far more to gain than opponents have to lose. Furthermore the elites are affected less or even positively from the political outcomes. Just look at what it has done to California and Southern Texas and beyond.
Hefty fines, deportation, strong enforcement....these were all a part of the rhetoric by GW Bush to become Governor of TX 16 years ago.......but once elected he pandered to Mexico and his good buddy and friend Vicente Fox and left our state borders so full of holes that the illegal element came across in droves. Running for President he again mouthed the same platitudes and the Righteous Rich folks knew damn well he was lying so they supported him for the free labor force. As president it has been all talk and no action or as they say here "All Hat and no cattle".....He had 6 years with a republican controlled congress and did not pass a single law to enforce border security. The USA could enforce places like Mexico to begin providing for their countrymen by leveling economic sanctions but instead we offered them an open door with NAFTA and CAFTA.
It's not just GW, it all of these spineless despicable politicians who could have STOP this problem years ago!
I have lost my State, and to all you pathetic bastards I hope you rout in HELL!!

Old 03-02-2008, 11:41 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,177,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
CIS which is basically opposed to the present immigration policy whether legal or illegal has a very exhaustive study on the immigration population. See..

Center for Immigration Studies

They estimate an illegal population of 9.6 to 9.8 million in march 2005 increasing at a rate of about 700,000 per year. That would put the present illegal population at 11.7 to 11.9 million. It is likely that it has rolled off a bit in recent years so that is likely a high estimate.

Inclusion of children born in the US would of course be xenophobic baiting...their citizenship being granted on the same basis as that given to the children of the native born.
I know that the 2000 Census estimated the illegal alien population at 8 to 11 million. I know that the Border Patrol estimates that 4+ million cross the border each year. I know that USCIS estimates 1/2 million a year in visa overstays.

In other words, I know that any estimate less than 35 million is a low one thrown out to keep the American citizens in the dark about what is actually happening in our nation. The same reason the figure of 12 million is continually used even though Ray Charles can see that it's totally fraudulent.

I think back to the 1986 IRCA amnesty, in which the American people were led to believe that it would grant amnesty to approximately 1.2 million illegal aliens. The true total was over 3.4 million. Given our government's past record of ineptitude and prevarication I think 35 to 40 million is entirely plausible.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:52 AM

15,756 posts, read 32,530,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
I know that the 2000 Census estimated the illegal alien population at 8 to 11 million. I know that the Border Patrol estimates that 4+ million cross the border each year. I know that USCIS estimates 1/2 million a year in visa overstays.

In other words, I know that any estimate less than 35 million is a low one thrown out to keep the American citizens in the dark about what is actually happening in our nation. The same reason the figure of 12 million is continually used even though Ray Charles can see that it's totally fraudulent.

I think back to the 1986 IRCA amnesty, in which the American people were led to believe that it would grant amnesty to approximately 1.2 million illegal aliens. The true total was over 3.4 million. Given our government's past record of ineptitude and prevarication I think 35 to 40 million is entirely plausible.
You know what you know...don't confuse you with facts?

Read the article. It goes into all the sources and background.

Thiry Five million is roughly the count of the foreign born in the US of A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or