U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:39 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,619,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetrie View Post
Has any of you all lived, own business, invest in Mexico?

It does not seem like it to me. There is a lot of wealthy community helping good people there? Not to mention business from Asia and Europe!!!!!!
Up until recent times, Mexico has not encouraged foreign investment, nor has it had a strong tradition of the "wealthy community" helping "good people" (as in poor). THe Mexican culture has traditionally been fatalistic, and it was taken for granted that the poor were "supposed" to be poor....and the "rich" had no particular obligation to help them, because God "wanted" it that way.

This is slowly changing...but in the process, about 10 percent of the population has given up on changing 'the system', and has elected to move HERE..to the US, without going through the legal process. Complicating the matter is the fact that among these millions of 'good' people are a considerable number of violent criminals, whom we can't "keep out", because they don't 'check in' when they enter.

THAT is why the frustration and cynicism you see on this forum exist. Many US citizens feel we're being held responsible for the failure of Mexican society, which treats its own poor so unfairly. All the anger for this seems directed at US, not at the people who actually CAUSED it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 10:04 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,735,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProsperFlies View Post
“Give us your tired, your poor, your hungry, your huddled masses yearning to be free” What ever happend to this saying that is carved on the Statue of Liberty? Why isn't the United States honoring it? Has the United States Changed it's mind now? Or did it mean "Give us your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to be free (as long as they are white or look white but not your Mexicans?)." Has it occured to anyone that first they get rid of this, then they abridge the rights of the U.S. citizens after 9/11 and soon the Constitution goes, then what are we left with? Or should Mexicans stop building and growing America, they should build their own Statue of Mockery instead of holding a torch hold a middle finger at the United States for being such a Disgusting Nation to their people.
Sad but true, I have thought many times regarding the statue of Liberty.
A segment of Americans think it is their decision who is good enough to be in this country. I agree with your post.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:53 AM

3,074 posts, read 3,337,485 times
Don't even try it. Immigrants who came to Ellis Island had to have appropriate paperwork, and if they were sick or didn't have their paperwork, they were returned to their country. Even the ship upon which they arrived had to have paperwork for them. The immigrants intended to become legal citizens, and any immigrant from any country seeking to apply to become a legal citizen is welcome, and you know it. This thread is a discussion to solve the illegal immigrant problem. Say it with me--illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProsperFlies View Post
“Give us your tired, your poor, your hungry, your huddled masses yearning to be free” What ever happend to this saying that is carved on the Statue of Liberty? Why isn't the United States honoring it? Has the United States Changed it's mind now? Or did it mean "Give us your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to be free (as long as they are white or look white but not your Mexicans?)." Has it occured to anyone that first they get rid of this, then they abridge the rights of the U.S. citizens after 9/11 and soon the Constitution goes, then what are we left with? Or should Mexicans stop building and growing America, they should build their own Statue of Mockery instead of holding a torch hold a middle finger at the United States for being such a Disgusting Nation to their people.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
Sad but true, I have thought many times regarding the statue of Liberty.
A segment of Americans think it is their decision who is good enough to be in this country. I agree with your post.
I wonder, if a "segment" of Americans aren't qualified to decide who's "good enough' to be in their country, who you would assign this decision to? (How big is a 'segment', anyway? I have a feeling a WHOLE LOT of Americans feel this is indeed 'their business').. Since you obviously don't include yourself in that segment, how does YOUR segment decide who should live here? Are there any qualifying factors, in your view ?...or does America truly belong to anyone who happens along, come as you are, no questions asked? It's a fair question.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:57 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,633,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Don't even try it. Immigrants who came to Ellis Island had to have appropriate paperwork, and if they were sick or didn't have their paperwork, they were returned to their country. Even the ship upon which they arrived had to have paperwork for them. The immigrants intended to become legal citizens, and any immigrant from any country seeking to apply to become a legal citizen is welcome, and you know it. This thread is a discussion to solve the illegal immigrant problem. Say it with me--illegal.
And; too, even today the high seas are quite a deterrent to illegal immigration as well------------it is much, much riskier to sneak into the USA via shipping container than even the Arizona desert in July.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:22 PM

451 posts, read 235,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
What kind of horse stuff is this?? before 1925 all you need to do to be
legal of to come here, and that's it , there were no laws or regulations you
would just show a paper with your name, it would then be changed in order to "anglicize it" and that was it, we need to have amnesty and then deal with the rest.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
would just show a paper with your name, it would then be changed in order to "anglicize it" and that was it, we need to have amnesty and then deal with the rest.
So you want to return to the world as it existed before 1925? Are you certain about that? Remember, before 1925, MANY things were different than they are now. Better think that one over..VERY carefully...you could end up deeply regretting a return to the "wonderful world before 1925".

Also, you have a VERY broad definition of "Horse Stuff".....What's your feeling about Algebra, Physics, The Law of Gravity, and "junk like that"?.....

Last edited by macmeal; 04-21-2008 at 07:39 PM..

Old 04-21-2008, 09:01 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,735,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I wonder, if a "segment" of Americans aren't qualified to decide who's "good enough' to be in their country, who you would assign this decision to? Well they would have to be unbiased and that would let a whole segment out, I still say it is up to the government to take care of the problem. That segment would be big enough

(How big is a 'segment', anyway? I have a feeling a WHOLE LOT of Americans feel this is indeed 'their business')..That is sometimes the problem with Americans, they think everything is their business, you know how some Americans are considered too big for their britches.

Since you obviously don't include yourself in that segment, how does YOUR segment decide who should live here? Just like you, I don't get to decide who get's to live here, or who cannot live here, unlike some...I would not take the law into my own hands.

Are there any qualifying factors, in your view ?...or does America truly belong to anyone who happens along, come as you are, no questions asked? It's a fair question.
That would be nice if people could come here if they passed a background check & health check, but not to make it so unaffordable and not the long waits that now exsist.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:18 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,731,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
Of course that wasn't all so great for the Indians who kept getting shoved West so the big floods of immigrants could move in.

Still back in the 1700s and 1800s, there was empty land available for homesteading and so on. There were no generous welfare programs or many government programs of any kind and for the immigrant it was pretty much sink or swim.

One thing many people forget is that the ships heading back to Europe weren't heading back empty because many immigrants returned home in a short time. If they were unable to learn English or adapt to the new country, home they went -- often within months of first arriving. There were no food stamps to keep them here, no free health care, not much of anything.

In fact -- in 1876, this was the second most popular song: (a song of homesickness and returning home)

I'll take you home again, Kathleen
Across the ocean wild and wide
To where your heart has ever been
Since you were first my bonnie bride.
The roses all have left your cheek.
I've watched them fade away and die
Your voice is sad when e'er you speak
And tears bedim your loving eyes.

Chorus:
Oh! I will take you back, Kathleen
To where your heart will feel no pain
And when the fields are fresh and green
I'll take you to your home again!

I know you love me, Kathleen, dear
Your heart was ever fond and true.
I always feel when you are near
That life holds nothing, dear, but you.
The smiles that once you gave to me
I scarcely ever see them now
Though many, many times I see
A dark'ning shadow on your brow.

Chorus

To that dear home beyond the sea
My Kathleen shall again return.
And when thy old friends welcome thee
Thy loving heart will cease to yearn.
Where laughs the little silver stream
Beside your mother's humble cot
And brightest rays of sunshine gleam
There all your grief will be forgot.

Chorus

Old 04-21-2008, 09:23 PM

7,367 posts, read 6,529,443 times
As I've stated before, the solution is really simple. Implement the Fair Tax and open up the borders. Americans are no better than other nationalities, as far as human rights are concerned. Everyone should be allowed to buy property and live where they want, regardless of nationality or ethnicity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or