U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 06:10 PM

31 posts, read 85,599 times

Advertisements

As we are all aware, George W. Bush has wasted over 400-billion dollars of the USA taxpayer's money on a failed war in Iraq that was initiated based on false intelligence. What could this money have been better used on?

What if we had spent this 400-billion dollars on building new manufacturing plants, hospitals, and public schools on every street corner in Mexico? This would accomplish multiple goals:
  • Give the Mexicans a reason to stay in their own country with their own families and earn a decent living.
  • Transform the failing economy of Mexico and afford their citizens the luxuries of automobiles, health care, good food and clothing, air conditioning, and other things that would make staying in Mexico much more attractive.
  • With Americans footing the bill for the Mexican manufacturing plants that would pay lower wages than their USA counterparts, it would allow the USA to compete with the cheap-labor Chinese manufacturers and reduce the huge trade deficit that we have with them.
  • Reduce the load on the over-burdened public school systems and health care industries in the USA that have been overwhelmed with illegal immigrants.

Just an idea. I don't see anyone in government proposing any solutions to the problem. Granted, this one is probably something that would never be considered, but it would probably work if it was.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 06:31 PM

6,203 posts, read 15,018,489 times
This isn't a bad idea, but I could just hear people screaming about how their city/town/state needs that money much more than any other country. Most people, including politicians, are looking for a quick fix. Such an investment in Mexico (or Central America in general, for that matter, because not all illegal immigrants in the southwest come from Mexico!) would take many years to produce a payoff, and the whining would be very loud here before that ever happened.

I do think it's a good idea, though!

Old 02-21-2007, 06:45 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,711,852 times
I think that was part of the goal of Nafta. They ran into problems when the Mexican govt promised to invest billions to upgrade roads, schooling, sanitation, housing, electrical grid, etc. then never did. I believe what factories there are are located in the northern part of the country where some infrastructure is in place. It is not realistic to build a factory in a country where there is not even a reliable source of water or electricity. And, frankly, I think the Mexican govt needs to take the lead here. It is their country. If they show an honest desire to turn things around, to change their corrupt ways and create a Mexico that can provide a decent standard of living for it's citizens, I am all in favor of lending a hand. But we can't do this for them anymore than we can turn the country of Iraq into a functioning democracy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/18/we...f=weekinreview (article on Nafta)

Old 02-21-2007, 06:59 PM

Maybe we should have invaded Mexico and occupied it instead of Iraq?

(Being sarcastic, of course.)

Old 02-22-2007, 02:03 PM

1,393 posts, read 870,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
I think that was part of the goal of Nafta. They ran into problems when the Mexican govt promised to invest billions to upgrade roads, schooling, sanitation, housing, electrical grid, etc. then never did. I believe what factories there are are located in the northern part of the country where some infrastructure is in place. It is not realistic to build a factory in a country where there is not even a reliable source of water or electricity. And, frankly, I think the Mexican govt needs to take the lead here. It is their country. If they show an honest desire to turn things around, to change their corrupt ways and create a Mexico that can provide a decent standard of living for it's citizens, I am all in favor of lending a hand. But we can't do this for them anymore than we can turn the country of Iraq into a functioning democracy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/18/we...f=weekinreview (article on Nafta)
I am with you on this and Mexican citizen doesn't seem to be able to get respect from their government to be able to produce stable and safe places to work. The citizens need to take pride and if they don't help with maintaining their country then, our efforts will be wasted. Then, we will probably be responsible for maintaining the buildings and supplying jobs and they sit and collect the benefits of doing nothing but, maybe complaining more that we are there.
Good idea though if Mexico would work with us they could have plenty of money and jobs in the country.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:52 PM

1,701 posts, read 5,849,420 times
Voyager, I know you haven't spent much time around Illegal Immigrants and that's fine, but not all of them are from Mexico. There are folks who have expired their visas I know from United Arab Emirates, Russia, Phillipines, and every other country has them. Put any other third world country along the United States border, and those folks would attempt to get across the border. Recently, a Chinese man was caught in the glove compartment of a car trying to sneak across the border.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:05 PM

1,459 posts, read 4,042,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Voyager, I know you haven't spent much time around Illegal Immigrants and that's fine, but not all of them are from Mexico. There are folks who have expired their visas I know from United Arab Emirates, Russia, Phillipines, and every other country has them. Put any other third world country along the United States border, and those folks would attempt to get across the border. Recently, a Chinese man was caught in the glove compartment of a car trying to sneak across the border.

ROTF, how did a man shrink himself so that he could fit in the glove compartment?

Old 02-23-2007, 01:52 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,711,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
ROTF, how did a man shrink himself so that he could fit in the glove compartment?
That would be a terrible shock if you opened your glove compartment looking for a map or a stick of Carefree gum and there was a Chinese man.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:42 PM

2,814 posts, read 11,896,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
As we are all aware, George W. Bush has wasted over 400-billion dollars of the USA taxpayer's money on a failed war in Iraq that was initiated based on false intelligence. What could this money have been better used on?

What if we had spent this 400-billion dollars on building new manufacturing plants, hospitals, and public schools on every street corner in Mexico? This would accomplish multiple goals:
  • Give the Mexicans a reason to stay in their own country with their own families and earn a decent living.
  • Transform the failing economy of Mexico and afford their citizens the luxuries of automobiles, health care, good food and clothing, air conditioning, and other things that would make staying in Mexico much more attractive.
  • With Americans footing the bill for the Mexican manufacturing plants that would pay lower wages than their USA counterparts, it would allow the USA to compete with the cheap-labor Chinese manufacturers and reduce the huge trade deficit that we have with them.
  • Reduce the load on the over-burdened public school systems and health care industries in the USA that have been overwhelmed with illegal immigrants.

Just an idea. I don't see anyone in government proposing any solutions to the problem. Granted, this one is probably something that would never be considered, but it would probably work if it was.

I have no problem helping out Mexico where we can and where it benefits us as well, but how about taking some of that money and building a double barrier as well so that we stop the flow while also seeking to invest in industries that employ Mexicans for fair wages in their own country? The war in Iraq will end up costing us a Trillion dollars...
it would be better spent as you say, but also securing the border regardless in my opinion. I think we also need to hold the Mexican government accountable for Mexican nationals cost to U.S. hospitals and jails. We have the means to hold them accountable for paying us back, but we don't do it.
Bottom line is...we are not responsible for Mexico, good or bad. I don't mind helping them, but I want the border sealed.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I don't mind helping them, but I want the border sealed.
I agree 100%. However, if we're going to throw hundreds of billions of dollars away on hopeless causes such as an illegal war in Iraq (on the other side of the world), I think it would be better spent making Mexico (our neighbor) a better place to live so that its residents have a reason to stay there instead of coming to the USA illegally. We could probably even build a fence on the border with the several billion dollars in leftover change.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or