U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 11:33 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,687,743 times

Advertisements

Many of you on this forum have argued that the motivation behind illegal immigration is compassion for the poor and downtrodden in other countries, especially south of the border.

I've challenged you all regarding your argument that we need to extend our assistance and resources to those who are less fortunate than ourselves. My stance has always been that there are plenty of people in THIS country who need the support and aid of their fellow citizens and that it is with these people that Americans need to stand, while offering a hand up where necessary.

I am putting my money where my mouth is--literally. I'd like to challenge you to do the same.

I received this email from a fellow student this morning and the information contained within it has been confirmed by Russell Means of the Lakota Nation. Please take time to read it. Offer to the Lakota the same compassion you wish to extend to illegal immigrants.

Forwarded email:

PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO ANYONE YOU CAN

The Lakota Reservation in South Dakota has been struck with a huge, early season snow storm. Elderly people are without propane, there is a great lack of food medicine and warm winter clothing.

I spoke with the President of the Reservation this morning, and he made it clear; South Dakota is doing almost nothing, the roads are still not plowed and people are dying.

They need our help in way of wood, propane, warm winter clothing, food and assistance with plows.

If you are in the area and have the heart to help these folks, go to the Porcupine School or call 605-867-1111.

If you can send money, call and get details on arrangements. If you can send materials, as this is going to be a long winter for the sick the elderly and the children, the address is

Republic of Lakotah
P.O. Box 99
Porucupine, SD 57772

The Wyoming Anthropological Association (of which I am President) is conducting a drive to collect food, warm clothing, and winter fuel for the Lakota. We will be transporting these items to South Dakota--an eight hour drive through blizzard conditions.

Americans have always been quick to aid those in need. Native Americans in the U.S. are constantly marginalized, yet we will rush out and give millions to the victims of a Tsunami half way across the world. All you need to do is write a check for any amount. Please do what you can to help the Lakota people with warm clothing, fuel, and food.

Remember: Mitakuye Oyasin--We Are ALL Connected.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 11:36 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,658,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Many of you on this forum have argued that the motivation behind illegal immigration is compassion for the poor and downtrodden in other countries, especially south of the border.

I've challenged you all regarding your argument that we need to extend our assistance and resources to those who are less fortunate than ourselves. My stance has always been that there are plenty of people in THIS country who need the support and aid of their fellow citizens and that it is with these people that Americans need to stand, while offering a hand up where necessary.

I am putting my money where my mouth is--literally. I'd like to challenge you to do the same.

I received this email from a fellow student this morning and the information contained within it has been confirmed by Russell Means of the Lakota Nation. Please take time to read it. Offer to the Lakota the same compassion you wish to extend to illegal immigrants.

Forwarded email:

PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO ANYONE YOU CAN

The Lakota Reservation in South Dakota has been struck with a huge, early season snow storm. Elderly people are without propane, there is a great lack of food medicine and warm winter clothing.

I spoke with the President of the Reservation this morning, and he made it clear; South Dakota is doing almost nothing, the roads are still not plowed and people are dying.

They need our help in way of wood, propane, warm winter clothing, food and assistance with plows.

If you are in the area and have the heart to help these folks, go to the Porcupine School or call 605-867-1111.

If you can send money, call and get details on arrangements. If you can send materials, as this is going to be a long winter for the sick the elderly and the children, the address is

Republic of Lakotah
P.O. Box 99
Porucupine, SD 57772

The Wyoming Anthropological Association (of which I am President) is conducting a drive to collect food, warm clothing, and winter fuel for the Lakota. We will be transporting these items to South Dakota--an eight hour drive through blizzard conditions.

Americans have always been quick to aid those in need. Native Americans in the U.S. are constantly marginalized, yet we will rush out and give millions to the victims of a Tsunami half way across the world. All you need to do is write a check for any amount. Please do what you can to help the Lakota people with warm clothing, fuel, and food.

Remember: Mitakuye Oyasin--We Are ALL Connected.
Charity begins at home. Great post Kele

Old 11-10-2008, 12:00 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Kele, thanks for the post and the contact info. I will gladly contribute to this worthy cause. I agree with High Springs Gator, charity does begin at home.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:18 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,200,288 times
I'll send a contribution, and if I could afford to go up there, I'd go help run the snow plows and anything else..

Thank You Kele

I'm going to post this on some other CD forums.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I'll send a contribution, and if I could afford to go up there, I'd go help run the snow plows and anything else..

Thank You Kele

I'm going to post this on some other CD forums.
I've posted in South Dakota. Anywhere else you feel would be applicable would be great. Feel free to use me as a contact.

If anybody has any questions, they can feel free to send me a DM.

If you would like to put your cash to work immediately, DM me for the University of Wyoming's Anthro Dept address and how to make out your checks. We'll take your cash and buy coats, hats, gloves, wood, and food to take with us to the reservation. Because the Wyoming Anthropological Association has non-profit status--you can still claim your deduction.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:49 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,346,148 times
Do you have a PayPal account?

Old 11-10-2008, 01:51 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,346,148 times
9 hour drive for me. What are the odds of me making it up there on Friday? I want to help, but I don't want to add to the problem by getting stuck somewhere!

Old 11-10-2008, 01:55 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Thanks for the info Kele. I will pass it along.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:06 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Damn.

I wish I could put something in the pot but I myself am almost on the edge of financial ruin.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:13 PM

Anyone who wishes to donate to the Wyoming Anthropological Association in order that we can maximize the amount of donated goods that we're driving to South Dakota needs to send a check to the Anthropology department. I do have a paypal account, but it's personal--if you want to help out with financial donations and you want us to use your donation to buy food and clothing, checks should be made out to:

Wyoming Anthropological Association
c/o Anthropology Department
Dept. 3431
1000 E. University Avenue
Laramie, WY 82071

Mark on the outside of the envelope:
Attention: Kele (DM me for my last name)
Project Hope for the Lakota Nation

Chele - I wouldn't try to drive up right now. More snow is expected this week. We will likely be going up there in a week or so--depending upon our transportation needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or