U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 08:37 PM

820 posts, read 2,495,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
The problem is we don't want to do those job's.We want to stay home with a bag of chips and watch people fighting on stage with 2 security guards breaking up fights every 2 minutes.While we become obese at doing this and collect a paycheck every month.
And yet we buy all these products we don't want any hand in making. Let's take poultry as an example. It's been in the news a lot in the Carolinas that the poultry processors use unethical and illegal hiring practices. Say they began paying a better wage to all their employees and all of them were legal. The cost of chicken to the consumer would almost have to go up. All of a sudden those chicken wings and Thanksgiving Day turkey Americans love so much is more expensive.

I don't disagree with the argument that illegals don't have the right to be here. However, could anyone quantify the impact on the U.S. economy if this segment of the workforce...at least 12% in size....was absent or removed?
How much would prices go up, supply go down, etc?

Not sure how impartial this data is but it looks interesting:

ILW.COM - immigration news: The Economic Impact Of Immigration

Old 11-14-2008, 08:40 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,117,815 times
Walmart is full of cheap Chinese imports.

Americans can make the same products and they'll be safer for the public to use.

Sometimes there's only so much you can get for a bargain.

It's not a bargain at all to shop there with their business practices in the long run.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:16 PM

689 posts, read 2,394,797 times
I have been shopping at Wal-Marts for almost 19 years, back before the supercenters came into being. I had never heard of them until I moved from Las Vegas, NV to a small town in NW OK. When that store began making plans to become a supercenter there was a lot of talk about the businesses on Main St. being put out of business. I don't recall any closing down and in fact I think that it actually made the town look more attractive to ppl who might consider moving to the area (it was really podunk, back 19 years ago). I still frequented the same shops on Main that I did before the supercenter opened. I believe that most ppl did too...anyway, that is another argument. As for me, I am done with Wal-Mart, or any business that can't accomodate it's English speaking customers.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:19 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,203,701 times
Wal-Mart Watch

Old 11-14-2008, 10:24 PM

42 posts, read 79,100 times
Becky, which Wally world was it?

Old 11-14-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yldrosie View Post
Becky, which Wally world was it?
May Anne and 7th. And hello, welcome to the forum.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:34 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,016,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
The problem is we don't want to do those job's.We want to stay home with a bag of chips and watch people fighting on stage with 2 security guards breaking up fights every 2 minutes.While we become obese at doing this and collect a paycheck every month.
classic transferal of the question................My local walmart has lots of people on disability who work there including a paraplegic in a wheel chair.

They are old, they are young, they are disabled...........and they all speak english.

Now I find it funny your lump all us gringas into your little Machiavellian twisted world.

Funny I work with over 200 fellow AMEIRCANS, that make it to work every day, are NOT obese and most find things to do after work besides watch the boobie tube.

Lets hear it fellow posters...............how many people do YOU work with on a daily basis that defy the picture the fartgas has painted.............

I noticed several times in your rant you used "we" as singular.........does that mean that it is in fact YOU that is obese, eats potata chips and watches tv all day while drawing a welfare chip........................

Are you in fact the thing you deride????????????????????????

Old 11-15-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verynicebecky View Post
May Anne and 7th. And hello, welcome to the forum.
Opps, that would actually be N. McCarran and 7th.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:44 PM

9,594 posts, read 9,427,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
Say they began paying a better wage to all their employees and all of them were legal. The cost of chicken to the consumer would almost have to go up. All of a sudden those chicken wings and Thanksgiving Day turkey Americans love so much is more expensive.

I don't disagree with the argument that illegals don't have the right to be here. However, could anyone quantify the impact on the U.S. economy if this segment of the workforce...at least 12% in size....was absent or removed?
How much would prices go up, supply go down, etc?
The emphasis on 'almost' is mine because, no, those prices wouldn't have to go up but they probably would. Why? Well, lets take 'Netflix' for an example. Netflix has almost no workforce and their manufacturing is entirely outsourced and their distribution is the US Postal Service. Last year Netflix posted nearly a Billion dollars in revenue, about 964 million. How much was profit? 29 Million.

When your CEO and senior executive staff and your shareholders are taking out 70% of your gross receipts then I suppose your labor has to be cut as much as possible to keep those kinds of margins intact but it doesn't have to be so. If executive compensation could be revisited the salaries of workers could be raised without leading to the automatic raising of prices across the board. In fact this is what has to be done if America is to survive.

Executive compensation at 400:1 is the reason why higher worker salaries cannot exist in the U.S. in Japan where executive compensation is closer to 22:1 workers can be paid more and more importantly more workers can be hired and paid more without significantly affecting the price of goods. A good thing since if anything the Japanese are even more racist than white Americans and would not tolerate illegal aliens among their population taking Japanese jobs at lower wages.

H

Old 11-15-2008, 01:17 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,703,284 times
This wouldn't happen the UK. The greeter would be smacked up by nazi wannabes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration