U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 08:26 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Your Walmart is apparently behind the times. The Walmarts here often have cashier clerks that cannot speak English, they count your change out in Spanish. The store announcements are made in Spanish.l
One word. Boycott. Walmart is not the only game in town.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:29 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,545,561 times
Neat, well after I retire I'll go get a part-time job at Mall-Wort and speak nothing but Russian to all the Spanish speakers looking for help....

Old 11-19-2008, 02:31 AM

294 posts, read 771,786 times
Talking Sometimes

If there was a stranger who comes knocking on your way and they don't look all interesting; just say, "sorry no speaky english". One of the most polite way to get rid of people you have no intentions to interact with.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:31 AM

12,870 posts, read 12,773,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
The guy didnt do anything wrong. He just didnt speak English. He could easily be a citizen and not speak English.

Her complaint should be that door greeter should speak English but not that he did anything wrong as he didn't.
i disagree. i find it very suspect that he would say, "i don't speak english". if he could say that, he could say "welcome to walmart" so report him.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:40 AM

384 posts, read 850,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verynicebecky View Post
I just returned from Wal-Mart and I am as mad as heck! As I was leaving, I turned to the greeter and asked him a question. He replied, "I don't speak English." He was a greeter for goodness sake, out in public. This is the United States and surely there must be enough English speaking ppl who come through the doors that they would need an ENGLISH speaking person to work the entrances. Am I being just a bit sensitive about this?
Just like construction and landscaping, there aren't any Americans that want to do that type of job! Besides, he was there to greet all the illegals that don't speak and won't learn English, not to greet some English speaking American.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:21 AM

1,435 posts, read 3,506,803 times
Most of the janitors working at the local shopping center in my city have poor English skills as well. I remember when I first moved here and I went to the local mall for the first time I asked the first person that I encountered which was a janitor if he knew where F.Y.E is located because I wasn't familiar with the whole mall yet, and he told me "I no speaka Ingles".

Old 11-19-2008, 05:28 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,557,510 times
Why should the greeter have to speak english when most of the customers don't. If the OP is offended, shop somewhere else. LV is a big town.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:32 AM

3,325 posts, read 4,693,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i disagree. i find it very suspect that he would say, "i don't speak english". if he could say that, he could say "welcome to walmart" so report him.

They can rerport him all they want Walmart hired him knowing his English is limited and nothing will be done nor should it as far as the guy doing anything wrong.

Walmart should put someone in the door that speaks English the guy isnt to blame Walmart is .
Perhaps he will work in another dept but doubt it. He will be there next time they return.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:38 AM

3,325 posts, read 4,693,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Why should the greeter have to speak english when most of the customers don't. If the OP is offended, shop somewhere else. LV is a big town.

This is still N.America thus having someone who speaks English at the door should be the norm.

However I have no problem with the greeter its Walmart that should make sure the door person speaks English but things are changing in many states and Texas is one of them.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:29 AM

12,870 posts, read 12,773,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
They can rerport him all they want Walmart hired him knowing his English is limited and nothing will be done nor should it as far as the guy doing anything wrong.

Walmart should put someone in the door that speaks English the guy isnt to blame Walmart is .
Perhaps he will work in another dept but doubt it. He will be there next time they return.
not if she reports him, he won't! a problem does not get fixed until the problem is identified in every single situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration