Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 10:18 PM

713 posts, read 2,716,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Why should the greeter have to speak english when most of the customers don't. If the OP is offended, shop somewhere else. LV is a big town.
I'm in Reno, not Vegas. Now if I lived in Vegas I would certainly understand the situation and then there would be no problemo. I left Vegas years ago and would never move back to there.

I got an email from the lovely ppl at the Wal-Mart corporate office...blah, blah, blah, which is pretty much what I expected, although I was hoping for a gift card to kinda smooth things over. I haven't been back to Wal-Mart since the incident and don't intend to give them any more of my money. I can hold a grudge for a very long time.

To the poster who suggested that we should all learn some Spanish so that we can understand and communicate with those who only speak Spanish in the USA. I grew up in this country. My parents talked to me in English when I was a baby. I was spoken to in English when I attended school (a public school at that!)....in this country. When I was growing up and turned the tv on, everything was in English. When I served in the U.S. Army, I was spoken to in English. English is my native language. If I were to learn a different language it would be Italian. I someday would like to go to Italy and I would want to be understood and be able to understand the language that is spoken there. It only makes sense.

Last edited by verynicebecky; 11-19-2008 at 11:32 PM..

Old 11-20-2008, 08:42 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,286,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verynicebecky View Post
I just returned from Wal-Mart and I am as mad as heck! As I was leaving, I turned to the greeter and asked him a question. He replied, "I don't speak English." He was a greeter for goodness sake, out in public. This is the United States and surely there must be enough English speaking ppl who come through the doors that they would need an ENGLISH speaking person to work the entrances. Am I being just a bit sensitive about this?
How about you stop shopping at Walmart in protest?

Old 11-20-2008, 09:54 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
How about you stop shopping at Walmart in protest?
I very rarely shop at any Wal-Mart; maybe once every six months or so.

That stated; the store near me used to crawl with (probably) illegal immigrants---------not anymore.

Why I say that is many of not most of the 'Mestizo/Indian' customers today speak English, not Spanish. Too; said Wal-Mart is very close to an Indian Rez which may also explain many of the 'brown' people. Needless to say: said brown people are brother/sister Americans.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:45 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

That stated; the store near me used to crawl with (probably) illegal immigrants---------not anymore.

Why I say that is many of not most of the 'Mestizo/Indian' customers today speak English, not Spanish. Too; said Wal-Mart is very close to an Indian Rez which may also explain many of the 'brown' people. Needless to say: said brown people are brother/sister Americans.
Very good point. I was shopping in a Walgreen's in Flagstaff a few years back and overheard a conversation that I believed to be wholly in Navajo. That was a first for me. I would imagine that those folks were born right here in the good old U.S. of A

Old 11-20-2008, 10:51 AM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Anyone but a complete simpleton could learn the word for restroom or towel if they are working here...the answer must be that they do not want to learn and will not help you!
I wouldnt be quick to call someone a "simpleton"
because they havent mastered English. I only speak one language even after 2 years of high school Spanish and 2 years of College French. Languages are very hard for me....but friendliness often makes up for it.

I am sure that if you smiled and perhaps tried the word "toilet" and/or "bathroom" they would have understood. "Rest room" probably gets easily lost in translation.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:53 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,967,034 times
Quote:

How close is Phoenix to the nearest Indian reservation ?

Old 11-20-2008, 04:28 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I wouldnt be quick to call someone a "simpleton"
because they havent mastered English. I only speak one language even after 2 years of high school Spanish and 2 years of College French. Languages are very hard for me....but friendliness often makes up for it.

I am sure that if you smiled and perhaps tried the word "toilet" and/or "bathroom" they would have understood. "Rest room" probably gets easily lost in translation.

Hey if I go to France for two days I try to learn those words! If I were working somewhere day in and day out and I could not learn those words, wouldn't I be a simpleton?

Old 11-20-2008, 06:10 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
How close is Phoenix to the nearest Indian reservation ?
Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community is smack dab next to both Mesa and Scottsdale. I live about 3 miles W from there as the crow flies.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:42 PM

16 posts, read 22,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
The problem is we don't want to do those job's.We want to stay home with a bag of chips and watch people fighting on stage with 2 security guards breaking up fights every 2 minutes.While we become obese at doing this and collect a paycheck every month.
there is always retired people

Old 10-26-2009, 08:27 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Agreed. The tanking of America should serve as a wake up call to all of our citizens. Globalization and illegal immigration are huge contributors to the tanking of America's economy.

Short, sweet and to the point!!

It is dumbfounding to hear support for those two very things.
Every time I hear it, I think to my self and sometimes yell it out, "you stupid F'n idiot"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration