U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-24-2007, 05:59 AM
 
989 posts, read 5,330,274 times
Reputation: 834

Advertisements

I wouldn't mind if we shut immigration off completely for a while. Asians do form little "countries" here probably as much as Mexicans and that's not cool at all. But I'd rather have people coming in to USA who won't rob me, and turn my neighborhood into a third-world country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-24-2007, 08:51 AM
 
Location: South Bay, California
1,701 posts, read 5,853,233 times
Reputation: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Asians come by boat and plane too.
Mexico 6,840,000 57%
Latin & Central Amer. 3,000,000 25%
Those numbers are quite low and would hurt the third world invasion theory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2007, 12:50 PM
 
9,715 posts, read 12,957,385 times
Reputation: 3315
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Those numbers are quite low and would hurt the third world invasion theory.
Unfortunately, most of the people here are legal. Out of 300 million people in the USA, only 12 million are illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2007, 12:59 PM
 
9,715 posts, read 12,957,385 times
Reputation: 3315
I read an article yesterday on the US border patrol. It said that approximately 60% of illegals came over the border. The other 40% fly or come by boat (approximately 5 million people) -- they enter legally then stay illegally. There are only 51 border agents assigned to find that 5 million so the agents find very few each year (approximately 5,000). In order for them to track down all those illegal immigrants, they would need to hire thousands of immigration agents.

The article also points out that this is how terrorists come to the USA. They enter legally and stay illegally (like a few of the 9/11 hijackers). They don't get smuggled over the border. They have no need to. Most of the 9/11 hijackers were here legally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2007, 01:42 PM
 
4,294 posts, read 7,902,428 times
Reputation: 1557
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Asians come by boat and plane too.

Here's Wikipedia's list of where illegal immigrants come from as of January 2006:

Mexico 6,840,000 57%
Latin & Central Amer. 3,000,000 25%
Asia 1,080,000 9%
Europe + Canada 720,000 6%
Rest of World 480,000 4%

So, out of every 100 illegals that you meet, 57 will be from Mexico, 25 will be from Central or Latin America, 9 will be from Asia, 6 will be from Europe or Canada and 4 will be from some other place. (This adds up to 101 but it's Wiki math!)
Percentages typically do not add up to 100 due to rounding... so... no... that has nothing to do with Wikipedia so much as rounding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2007, 03:08 PM
 
Location: McKinney, TX
271 posts, read 1,010,089 times
Reputation: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
Factor in the population growth in all races in the Southwestern states.. If we don't establish a better immigration system, we're going down the drain. Mexicans will continue to kill our quality of life. Why? Because their growth is too fast to mandate their assimilation.

We're stopping Asian and Indians with high skills from becoming doctors, lawyers, and computer geniuses... And we're letting Mexicans run in for free. As racist as it sounds, ..Put a limit on Mexicans. Whuduya think?!
Wow! what a touchy subject. Immigration in the U.S. has followed different trends throughout history. At first, only Englishmen were considered "the right people" and they looked with disdain at Germans and Scandinavians. Later, the German and the Scandinavians were the ones who looked down at the Poles, Irish and Italians because they were Catholic. Now the Irish, Poles and Italians looked down at the Latins which are frequently generalized as "Mexicans". It's true that after WW-II and certainly more in the last decades, Latins have arrived to this country in larger numbers. Unfortunately, the uneducated Mexicans seem to be most visible, but not all Latins are uneducated, I'm a Latin myself, but I'm a doctor of Medicine who works for the U.S. Dept. of Veterans' Affairs and I came to this country legally, not to escape hunger, but to nurture myself from the more developed technology and "know how". I do agree and strongly believe that if you come to the U.S. you have to try your best to become an "American" citizen (by the way, the whole continent is called America),. You cannot live two identities at the same time and I deplore those immigrants from any country, who want to change our "American Way Of Life" to theirs. For most part, Latins and Asians aren't widely accepted in American society at this time. I wonder what ethnic group will be the next one to be looked down at. I agree with NPBMW that selected immigration brings benefits to any country; even though, they are a loss for the countries the immigrants leave behind. The United Nations have tried unsuccessfully for years, to reduce what they call the "Brain Drain" from Third World Countries to industrialized countries. Forming professionals cost money to those poor countries and when the professionals move to another country, the recipient country benefits from them without having invested any resources in their formation. Speaking as an "American" I agree with the selfish fact, that selective immigration certainly benefits the host country by "stealing" brains from other countries. How ethical is this? I don't know, because I'm not a Religious Minister nor a politician. As a consolation, let's not forget that ever since man is man, better educated people from less developed countries always tended to move to more advanced societies and with better and more accessible ways of transportation this phenomenon has increased notably. It's amazing to learn about the original nationalities of all the Nobel prize winners in the U.S since the establishment of that prize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2007, 11:44 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
7,731 posts, read 11,957,274 times
Reputation: 5939
Only 12 million out of 300 are illegal? That is still too much, we should not have one illeagal immigrant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2007, 12:34 AM
 
9,715 posts, read 12,957,385 times
Reputation: 3315
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
Only 12 million out of 300 are illegal? That is still too much, we should not have one illeagal immigrant.
Well, let's hire more agents then -- so we can get rid of the 5 million people who overstay their visas.

If it takes 51 agents to send 5000 home, that's about 100 people a year per agent. To get rid of all 5 million, we will need to hire 50,000 new agents. With government pay and pensions, that should cost us about $100K a year per agent or $5,000,000,000. (Don't forget, this still leaves us with 7 million who slip across the border who will need to be tracked down or stopped.)

Of course, that amount can be paid by taxpayers -- or by those of you that pay taxes. (32% of taxpayers pay no taxes as of 2005 -- but the other 68% of you can certainly cover this extra bill!) What's great about this whole idea is that it will also create an additional 50,000 government jobs! And those 50,000 agents WILL be paying taxes!

Oh! I can see this is a great plan already!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2007, 01:20 AM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,715,428 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Well, let's hire more agents then -- so we can get rid of the 5 million people who overstay their visas.

If it takes 51 agents to send 5000 home, that's about 100 people a year per agent. To get rid of all 5 million, we will need to hire 50,000 new agents. With government pay and pensions, that should cost us about $100K a year per agent or $5,000,000,000. (Don't forget, this still leaves us with 7 million who slip across the border who will need to be tracked down or stopped.)

Of course, that amount can be paid by taxpayers -- or by those of you that pay taxes. (32% of taxpayers pay no taxes as of 2005 -- but the other 68% of you can certainly cover this extra bill!) What's great about this whole idea is that it will also create an additional 50,000 government jobs! And those 50,000 agents WILL be paying taxes!

Oh! I can see this is a great plan already!
Ask for citizen volunteers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2007, 01:31 AM
 
2,218 posts, read 4,890,178 times
Reputation: 1703
I royally messed up my previous message lol. Oh well! haha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top