Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 03:46 PM

340 posts, read 744,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tito View Post
I believe that no breaking of the law should be permitted in the U.S., whether it's in Immigration or taxation matters. No one can get away from violating the IRS laws and the same treatment should be applied to Immigration violators. I think that the Government has been intentionally lax in this area for political and diplomatic reasons, but it shouldn't be. When I emigrated to the U.S. 50 years ago, I took me three years to obtain my visa for permanent residence, now it takes a lot longer; that's why I don't think it's fair that people should come to the U.S. without a visa or be allowed to overstay their visitor's visa, because by doing so, they are bypassing all those law-abiding persons that try to emigrate legally. It's interesting that those countries that get very upset when the U.S. sends back to them their illegal nationals, have stricter Immigration laws that the U.S. For example, what will happen to you, if you try to go to Mexico or to another foreign country to visit or to work without a visa? You will end up in jail or worse.
Right on Tito...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
Well and to add to that, there are a lot of non-white, non-male, non-gun totin' fellas that are members of the minutemen group. Go ahead and youtube it, because your evidence is there--people of all ethnicities upset over our immigration policies.
Also right on the money...Unfortunately, there are those who just don't want to believe it...

Old 02-25-2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Why is it the first thing that comes to your mind is the Minutemen? Seems like you also make alot of assumptions. I was referring to the idea of retired police, former military personnel and others like them undergoing training for BP but serving as a volunteer. In rural areas there used to be and maybe still are Volunteer Fire Departments where citizen volunteers are trained to help the professional fire fighters. Volunteers could help in other ways, too. Some could assist with paperwork, maybe be trained to work at the communications center. Anything that will make our BP more effective is worth considering.
Sounds like a great way for Americans to help out to me !!!! Right on andreabeth...

Old 02-25-2007, 04:00 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,475,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dir Drill 1 View Post
Also right on the money...Unfortunately, there are those who just don't want to believe it...
Some of them are hispanic Americans. There is a group affiliated with FAIR called 'You Don't Speak For Me' that wants to make it loud and clear that they support coming to the US legally and want no park of these 'Aztlan' type schemes.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:45 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,164,635 times
Quote:
I can hardly believe a person who has citizenship in this country could be deported. Did they throw their citizenship papers away that they worked so hard to get ?
What citizenship papers do you have to prove you are a citizen? I don't have any. I have a birth certificate but gawd only knows where that is now (since it's not something I use all the time).

Old 02-25-2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
What citizenship papers do you have to prove you are a citizen? I don't have any. I have a birth certificate but gawd only knows where that is now (since it's not something I use all the time).
I have my birth certificate locked in my safe.. I would never take anything for granted just because I was born here. America is a nation of laws and we either live by them or face the consequences... It's that simple..

Old 02-25-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
I have my birth certificate locked in my safe.. I would never take anything for granted just because I was born here. America is a nation of laws and we either live by them or face the consequences... It's that simple..
That birth certificate doesn't have your fingerprints or your photo on it. It could be a phony birth certificate. That might not even be your real name on your "supposed" birth certificate.

I say we send you back to Ireland.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:00 PM

I have a friend who looks Mexican and speaks Spanish. Her mother is Mexican from New Mexico and her father was American Indian (both born here).

When she was 16, she was picked up during one of those Immigration raids at the place where she worked after school. (It was a manufacturing plant.) The Immigration officers made her get on the bus with everyone else. She told me she was crying because they told her they were going to send her to Mexico and she didn't know anyone in Mexico! She wasn't even sure where Mexico was! She was so scared! They finally let her call her mother and, after several hours, her mother showed up with her birth certificate and they let her go.

Can you imagine how scary that must be for a kid?

Old 02-25-2007, 07:04 PM

603 posts, read 1,994,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I have a friend who looks Mexican and speaks Spanish. Her mother is Mexican from New Mexico and her father was American Indian (both born here).

When she was 16, she was picked up during one of those Immigration raids at the place where she worked after school. (It was a manufacturing plant.) The Immigration officers made her get on the bus with everyone else. She told me she was crying because they told her they were going to send her to Mexico and she didn't know anyone in Mexico! She wasn't even sure where Mexico was! She was so scared! They finally let her call her mother and, after several hours, her mother showed up with her birth certificate and they let her go.

Can you imagine how scary that must be for a kid?
Sure that would be scary, but it was cleared up and taken care of. You can't blam ICE for thinking she may have been illegal if the place she worked was full of illegal immigrants. Obviously the system worked, she wasn't deported. This is an isolated incident and it wouldn't have ever happen had there not been illegals hired by the company she worked for. Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
Sure that would be scary, but it was cleared up and taken care of. You can't blam ICE for thinking she may have been illegal if the place she worked was full of illegal immigrants. Obviously the system worked, she wasn't deported. This is an isolated incident and it wouldn't have ever happen had there not been illegals hired by the company she worked for. Just my 2 cents.
So, you would be okay with it if it happened to one of your kids? Most Americans I know these days would probably sue for false imprisonment. They weren't exactly nice to her, you know? They treated her just like she was one of "them" -- which she wasn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration