Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 01:54 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,436,372 times

Advertisements

Once during a trip to Mc Allen Tx, I met a naturalized American citizen.

I asked him how did he become a citizen and he told me that he hired an immigration lawyer who "married" him to a young woman, they were both trained so they could know what to answer to the immigration authorities, but they never actually lived together or had any kind of relationship other than this, the guy got with it.

A lot of people support immigration when it's legal but what would you think of this action?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 01:57 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post

I asked him how did he become a citizen and he told me that he hired an immigration lawyer who "married" him to a young woman, they were both trained so they could know what to answer to the immigration authorities, but they never actually lived together or had any kind of relationship other than this, the guy got with it.

A lot of people support immigration when it's legal but what would you think of this action?
This has been happening for years. Some American "spouses" have done this repeatedly. I believe it's always been illegal, but is now, or soon will be, a much more serious crime.
Bottom line is, no, you can't legally "get in" this way.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:06 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
It's a form of immigration fraud.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:58 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,572 times
It's immigration fraud. When I was stationed in Korea one of my co-workers was offered a great deal of money to marry a Korean girl. He turned it down of course and turned her name in to the proper authorities.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:05 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:

probably a notch shy

not as bad as living here without any papers at all. its an attempt at paper compliance.
we would expect more from an attorney.

stephen s
san diego ca

Old 10-28-2007, 04:08 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
probably a notch shy

not as bad as living here without any papers at all. its an attempt at paper compliance.
we would expect more from an attorney.

stephen s
san diego ca
ROFLMAO......We Could expect more Bunky....but we'd have to be terribly naive to do that.....its exactly what I would expect from a lawyer.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:13 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,436,372 times
I agree on this, I consider it unfair that people uses their knowledge of the law to their advantage, but most skilled lawyers do this and get away with it, not just in immigration cases but most of them.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:46 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,175 times
Quote:

It's clear-cut visa fraud and the USCIS/Dept of State is supposed to catch it at the interview phase.

The standards for green cards are much more stringent than they used to be, but plenty of fraudsters still get through.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:23 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,063,834 times
It's clearly immigration fraud. Punishable by fines on the order of $50,000-$150,000 and up to 10 years in prison, I believe.

Furthermore, if the lawyer knew the two were not legitimately married, he would also be subject to fines, prison time, and losing his liscense to practice law.

If the statuate of limitations has not expired on this case, you could report them to the authorities. I doubt the citizenship status could be revoked, but the penalties and jail time still apply.

Given my pro-immigration stance, you might wonder why I am so vehemently opposed to immigration fraud. The answer is that this is a clear-cut case of someone with a lot of money to spare (tens of thousands, usually) who hired a sleezy lawyer to help them break the law. I have much more sympathy for penniless border-crossers just trying to make a living, than rich criminals who cheat the system when they know better and have other legal options open to them.

This is why I dislike our immigration system, which is 90% family-based, and I favor immigration reform which would make it more employment-based. This wouldn't eliminate fraud, but it would make it less attractive to try this sort of thing.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:55 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Ah, you don't get citizenship by marrying an American. You have to apply for it, then pass the Citizenship test.

You can potentially get a Green Card by marrying an American, but not citizenship.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration