U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-19-2008, 06:41 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Reputation: 1094

Advertisements

At first, you think it must be some kind of sick joke. Someone must be trying to be funny by twisting a few things around and making it seem as if Mexico, the world's largest exporter of illegal immigrants, is vowing to arrest and deport anyone who enters that country illegally. You try to laugh, but it's not really that funny.

"Of course, it has to be a joke," you say to yourself. "Mexico is the country that is complaining constantly about the way the United States treats its illegal immigrants. It couldn't be doing exactly the same thing it so often criticizes. It couldn't be so hypocritical!"

But then you realize that this is no joke and that the government of Mexican President Felipe Calderon has taken hypocrisy to a new level.

Incredibly, Mexico cut a deal with the Cuban government last week and agreed to deport Cubans who enter Mexican territory illegally. From now on, Cubans reaching Mexico by sea or through Central America will be sent back to Havana.

* * *


To find out more about Miguel Perez and read features by other Creators Syndicate writers and cartoonists, visit the Creators Syndicate Web page at www.creators.com.

Long but very interesting read!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-19-2008, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,200,288 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
At first, you think it must be some kind of sick joke. Someone must be trying to be funny by twisting a few things around and making it seem as if Mexico, the world's largest exporter of illegal immigrants, is vowing to arrest and deport anyone who enters that country illegally. You try to laugh, but it's not really that funny.

"Of course, it has to be a joke," you say to yourself. "Mexico is the country that is complaining constantly about the way the United States treats its illegal immigrants. It couldn't be doing exactly the same thing it so often criticizes. It couldn't be so hypocritical!"

But then you realize that this is no joke and that the government of Mexican President Felipe Calderon has taken hypocrisy to a new level.

Incredibly, Mexico cut a deal with the Cuban government last week and agreed to deport Cubans who enter Mexican territory illegally. From now on, Cubans reaching Mexico by sea or through Central America will be sent back to Havana.

* * *


To find out more about Miguel Perez and read features by other Creators Syndicate writers and cartoonists, visit the Creators Syndicate Web page at www.creators.com.

Long but very interesting read!
Yes it's Interesting....but not suprising at all.

Mexico Wears Two Faces - Commentary: The Post Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2008, 08:54 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Yes it's Interesting....but not suprising at all.

Mexico Wears Two Faces - Commentary: The Post Chronicle
Agreed. It has been alleged that Cubans only acknowledge their hispanic heritage when it benefits them to claim minority status. Otherwise they check the "white" box.

That being said, IMHO not only is it time to end illegal immigration but to abolish the wet foot dry foot policy as well.

We've got more than our share of Cuba's criminal derelects as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2008, 01:10 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,068,069 times
Reputation: 2244
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Agreed. It has been alleged that Cubans only acknowledge their hispanic heritage when it benefits them to claim minority status. Otherwise they check the "white" box.
expert on cubans now are you? first mexicans now cubans.

That being said, IMHO not only is it time to end illegal immigration but to abolish the wet foot dry foot policy as well.
probably not till economic sanctions are lifted.

We've got more than our share of Cuba's criminal derelects as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2008, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
I side with JDubsMom here 100% on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2008, 02:50 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,068,069 times
Reputation: 2244
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I side with JDubsMom here 100% on this.
of course you do.


do you know why the dry foot policy is in place? or why other asylum accords with nations like el sal and guat. exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2008, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
of course you do.


do you know why the dry foot policy is in place? or why other asylum accords with nations like el sal and guat. exist?
I have a working knowledge of the above..........

Note that none of the above are at war anymore so any new arrivals are out of luck---------without proof, they are not political refugees.

As for Cuba: the US government needs to normalize relations with Havana IMHO. We have already doen so with both China and Vietnam.

Side note: those Mexicans fleeing SOB due to the drug wars either came here legally or those who are 'fence jumpers' turn themselves into US law enforcement to be detained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2008, 04:37 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,068,069 times
Reputation: 2244
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I have a working knowledge of the above..........

Note that none of the above are at war anymore so any new arrivals are out of luck---------without proof, they are not political refugees.

As for Cuba: the US government needs to normalize relations with Havana IMHO. We have already doen so with both China and Vietnam.

Side note: those Mexicans fleeing SOB due to the drug wars either came here legally or those who are 'fence jumpers' turn themselves into US law enforcement to be detained.
consider this...

do the effects of US intervention and puppet regimes cease once the meddling is over? ramifications still exist. it takes a while. stability has yet to reach these places.

and normalized relations with cuba would facilitate the end of the dry foot policy.

lets see if obamas really got that "change"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top