U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 08:13 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobefrank View Post
I have some questions that deals with the economy and illegal immigration.
The issue of illegal immigration seems to be placed on the back burner, I am just wondering if anyone is taking advantage of this cheap unskilled labor? With Americans pinching pennies, have some of you used these alternatives? Now I know this doesn't sit well with many people, but the fact is that many of the companies, businesses, and establishments that we frequent and recommend have a gang of illegals in the kitchen. Many of the well to do households have nannies and cleaners that are illegal. Don't ask don't tell policies. My questions.... Would you use illegal immigrant labor? Especially if it could help you save some bucks. Also, do you fear a backlash from illegals that are here in this country once they start feeling the economic pinch? Truth is, they are here now, and if things are rough for legals, imagine
what they are going through. Just thought I would stir things up....

No I would never hire illegals. And no -- illegals aren't going through rougher times than we are -- they're doing just fine. There are still millions of dollars being wired to Mexico every month. Many illegals are paid cash under the table with no social security or other taxes taken out, and many have given birth to children here which brings them very nice government handouts -- and often the cash is all extra because they aren't expected to report it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 08:21 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInExiles View Post
Please, don't start blaming illegal immigrants for this mess. There are many reasons why this financial downturn is happening including the "spend now, pay later" attitude of many Americans who chose to abuse the credit system. The almost never ending cycle of handing out bad mortgages was also a big contributor of this crisis, with many people getting approved for loans, that couldn't even pay them back, let alone get a traditional mortgage.

These examples may not be the biggest reasons for this current crisis, but they sure are bigger issues than just blaming it on the illegal immigrants.
I think we can blame illegals for their role in this, but of course theirs isn't the only one.

Much of this collapse was precipitated by the housing bubble. We all know who benefitted by the overbuilding of cheaply built but expensive houses. The housing developers obviously -- they hired the cheapest possible labor, brought in semi-trailer loads of illegals. They built entire subdivisions practically over night, the laborers earned billions of dollars in jobs that Americans were never offered. They sent billions of dollars back to their own country.

There was a reason for the sub-prime loans being offered to those people with fraudulent or non-existent social security numbers and no proof of income. There was a reason those loans were given to people whose incomes were pooled, even including unrelated individuals renting a room or floor space. It's obvious that the sub-prime loans were to get as many houses as possible sold to people illegally here. People who were easily tricked into buying a home they could never afford.

You simply cannot allow in tens of millions of the most impoverished people of the world who lack an education and not expect that at some point there will be problems from it. There is a reason the government of Mexico was so insistent that we take tens of millions of their citizens off their hands.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:39 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Please, don't start blaming illegal immigrants for this mess. There are many reasons why this financial downturn is happening including the "spend now, pay later" attitude of many Americans who chose to abuse the credit system. The almost never ending cycle of handing out bad mortgages was also a big contributor of this crisis, with many people getting approved for loans, that couldn't even pay them back, let alone get a traditional mortgage.

These examples may not be the biggest reasons for this current crisis, but they sure are bigger issues than just blaming it on the illegal immigrants.
The illegal immigrants still need to vamoose.............and, their enablers can leave the USA as well

Old 11-22-2008, 09:27 PM

1,169 posts, read 3,302,702 times
No, I do not use illegal labor. I do all my own yardwork, while most around here have it done by illegals. If I can't clean my own house and mow my own yard, I don't need to have them. I sure won't pay someone illegal to do it for me as most do around here.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:53 AM

196 posts, read 556,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think we can blame illegals for their role in this, but of course theirs isn't the only one.
Sure we can, but their role in this isn't as big as some here are suggesting. There are many other factors I listed that were way more important than this.

Blaming an entire segment of America won't solve anything, but more stress for the anti-illegal immigrant crowd.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:46 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Sure we can, but their role in this isn't as big as some here are suggesting. There are many other factors I listed that were way more important than this.

Blaming an entire segment of America won't solve anything, but more stress for the anti-illegal immigrant crowd.
You mean more stress for the pro illegal crowd?

Face it: the attitude in this nation is hardening against illegals and their enablers as the economy continues to deteriorate if nothing else.

Us blue collar workers have seen our ranks decimated------------with the crash of Wall Street, Detroit Three auto manufacturers, etc. the white collar people (who are much more likely to use illegal labor [nannies as well as gardeners, etc]) are now starting to suffer en masse as well.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:40 AM

12,870 posts, read 12,773,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

Much of this collapse was precipitated by the housing bubble. We all know who benefitted by the overbuilding of cheaply built but expensive houses. The housing developers obviously -- they hired the cheapest possible labor, brought in semi-trailer loads of illegals. They built entire subdivisions practically over night, the laborers earned billions of dollars in jobs that Americans were never offered. They sent billions of dollars back to their own country.

There was a reason for the sub-prime loans being offered to those people with fraudulent or non-existent social security numbers and no proof of income. There was a reason those loans were given to people whose incomes were pooled, even including unrelated individuals renting a room or floor space. It's obvious that the sub-prime loans were to get as many houses as possible sold to people illegally here. People who were easily tricked into buying a home they could never afford.

You simply cannot allow in tens of millions of the most impoverished people of the world who lack an education and not expect that at some point there will be problems from it. There is a reason the government of Mexico was so insistent that we take tens of millions of their citizens off their hands.
the huge influx of illegal immigrants allowed 3 things.
1) it created a huge supply of cheap labor.
2) it created the demand for housing, which is where the sub-prime housing market situation come in, with the resultant housing bubble and then the derivative market.
3) it allowed mexico breathing room in its own economy.

the next thing that will happen (unless it is stopped) is a large working force will become naturalized citizens, thus keeping labor costs down and also building up the taxpayer base for social security which will be insolvent without modification.

Last edited by floridasandy; 11-23-2008 at 10:49 AM..

Old 11-23-2008, 12:34 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
the huge influx of illegal immigrants allowed 3 things.
1) it created a huge supply of cheap labor.
2) it created the demand for housing, which is where the sub-prime housing market situation come in, with the resultant housing bubble and then the derivative market.
3) it allowed mexico breathing room in its own economy.

the next thing that will happen (unless it is stopped) is a large working force will become naturalized citizens, thus keeping labor costs down and also building up the taxpayer base for social security which will be insolvent without modification.
Is that what happened after the last 2 amnesties? Or did the amnesties only embolden those who have no respect for our laws, culture or rights as a sovereign nation?
You see I was always taught that you should never reward a cheat, or a criminal. It only invites more of the same behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or