U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 04:34 AM

43 posts, read 111,641 times

Advertisements

I have some questions that deals with the economy and illegal immigration.
The issue of illegal immigration seems to be placed on the back burner, I am just wondering if anyone is taking advantage of this cheap unskilled labor? With Americans pinching pennies, have some of you used these alternatives? Now I know this doesn't sit well with many people, but the fact is that many of the companies, businesses, and establishments that we frequent and recommend have a gang of illegals in the kitchen. Many of the well to do households have nannies and cleaners that are illegal. Don't ask don't tell policies. My questions.... Would you use illegal immigrant labor? Especially if it could help you save some bucks. Also, do you fear a backlash from illegals that are here in this country once they start feeling the economic pinch? Truth is, they are here now, and if things are rough for legals, imagine
what they are going through. Just thought I would stir things up....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 04:44 AM

531 posts, read 1,765,539 times
I think I *did* use illegal labor recently, to have my carpet installed. Of course, I didn't have any say in the matter--the place we ordered the carpet from just sent two guys in an old van over to do the installation. They worked with no respirators even though the smell of the glue was so sickening, I had to sit outside on the front stoop while they worked. I opened all the windows and turned on the ceiling fans for them. They didn't speak enough English for me to get across the idea of a respirator, I'm afraid.

I guess when you work outside the law, OSHA regulations don't apply....

Old 11-20-2008, 04:56 AM

449 posts, read 1,481,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobefrank View Post
I am just wondering if anyone is taking advantage of this cheap unskilled labor? With Americans pinching pennies, have some of you used these alternatives?
Cheap unskilled labor is just that, and you get what you pay for, whether they be legal, illegal, black, white, Hispanic, or, god forbid, French (just kidding Frenchies). It's a downward spiral that's hard to control once momentum takes hold, as businesses are concerned with the bottom line, and cutting labor costs are the first, and easiest, ones to make. It will work short term, but not long term.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:46 AM

1,553 posts, read 3,874,607 times
i have no problem with people employing illegal immigrants, as long as they pay them at least minimum wage. otherwise it's completely unethical.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:20 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Let me weigh in here:

If discussing 300-500K illegals out of a total US population of 300+ million and the economy was decent; that would be one thing----------- now, between 7-12 million illegals (declining in numbers admittedly) and a tanked economy------------they all need to go away.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:37 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,710,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobefrank View Post
I have some questions that deals with the economy and illegal immigration.
The issue of illegal immigration seems to be placed on the back burner, I am just wondering if anyone is taking advantage of this cheap unskilled labor? With Americans pinching pennies, have some of you used these alternatives? Now I know this doesn't sit well with many people, but the fact is that many of the companies, businesses, and establishments that we frequent and recommend have a gang of illegals in the kitchen. Many of the well to do households have nannies and cleaners that are illegal. Don't ask don't tell policies. My questions.... Would you use illegal immigrant labor? Especially if it could help you save some bucks. Also, do you fear a backlash from illegals that are here in this country once they start feeling the economic pinch? Truth is, they are here now, and if things are rough for legals, imagine
what they are going through.
Just thought I would stir things up....
No, I would not use illegal alien labor. We have very nice neighbors but they tend to go with the lowest bidder whenever they have work done on their house and this usually involves what I suspect are illegal aliens. As a previous poster noted, you get what you pay for and they invariably end up having to call in someone else to straighten out the mess the original 'contractor' has made. One memorable fiasco involved a group of workers digging a trench for a new pipe in their yard. I came home to find they had piled about 4 feet of dirt and broken concrete on one of my garden beds completely smashing everything I had planted there. When I went out and politely asked them to move the dirt back on our neighbor's property, no one spoke a word of English and one of them looked at me and waved his hand dismissively as if this damage to my property was no concern of his.

I want somebody who is going to do the job right the first time. If I do not have enough money to pay for that, I wait until I do. If it is an emergency repair involving the plumbing or electrical systems, I will use only a licensed plumber or electrician.

As for feeling a backlash from illegal aliens, they supposedly came her for the jobs no American would do. If those jobs are no longer available to them, then they need to leave. If their backlash involves rioting or other violence against American citizens, they deserve nothing but prison time or a bus ticket back home.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:40 PM

12,870 posts, read 12,773,798 times
i prefer the bus / transportation ticket back home and then their expense is over for us and turned back to their own country, as it should be!

Old 11-20-2008, 04:50 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,470,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat1of2 View Post
I think I *did* use illegal labor recently, to have my carpet installed. Of course, I didn't have any say in the matter--the place we ordered the carpet from just sent two guys in an old van over to do the installation. They worked with no respirators even though the smell of the glue was so sickening, I had to sit outside on the front stoop while they worked. I opened all the windows and turned on the ceiling fans for them. They didn't speak enough English for me to get across the idea of a respirator, I'm afraid.

I guess when you work outside the law, OSHA regulations don't apply....
Actually carpet glue odor is not toxic, even though it smells like it is. However, the high you get from it has to be cheaper then buying beer.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:00 PM

7,695 posts, read 12,845,131 times
I haven't heard the arguement from any politicians lately that they are doing the jobs Americans won't do.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:59 PM

196 posts, read 556,046 times
Please, don't start blaming illegal immigrants for this mess. There are many reasons why this financial downturn is happening including the "spend now, pay later" attitude of many Americans who chose to abuse the credit system. The almost never ending cycle of handing out bad mortgages was also a big contributor of this crisis, with many people getting approved for loans, that couldn't even pay them back, let alone get a traditional mortgage.

These examples may not be the biggest reasons for this current crisis, but they sure are bigger issues than just blaming it on the illegal immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or