U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-22-2008, 10:59 PM
 
Location: Chicago metro
3,375 posts, read 7,046,849 times
Reputation: 1853

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Who asked or for that matter who gives a dead rats ass whether you are mexican or not?

BASIC MANNERS 101:

Speaking any foreign language in public in any host country is not only considered rude but disrespectful.
As far as Blacks American citizens are concerned we definitely don't need some pissant illegal aliens to tell us what needs to be done in our country. Illegal aliens, no matter what sewer they crawled out of need to go home and fix the cesspools they fled. Oh I forgot said cesspools don't want their worthless, whiney asses either.

As for the influx of illegal aliens primarily from SOB and any other illegal alien spanish speaking idiots who are too trifling to leave, the entire population needs to get the hell out of this country period.

Oh and BTW there is no such word as "attracious". You have a good day too.
I'm African American myself, and your statement just prove how ethnocentric and xenophobia this country can be. Who cares if the person is speaking a language other than english in public. There is nothing wrong for you to learn another language, if you really want to know what they're saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-22-2008, 11:27 PM
 
Location: Chicago metro
3,375 posts, read 7,046,849 times
Reputation: 1853
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Irrelevant:

The attitude in favor 'multiculturalism is dying a (well deserved) natural death.

Too; outside of most of Latin America and Spain; Spanish is a minor language whereas English is the lingua franca of the world.
Most people don't consider Spanish a minor language. Spanish is one of the top languages in the world. The majority of the countries in the Western world( the Americas) are latin languages(Spanish, French, and Portuguese). Learning latin languages are very popular in schools in the US. For foreign language courses, people are more likely to learn a Latin language than a Germanic(excluding English) language. So I don't consider a language with over 500 million people a minor language. And besides, English was influence by several languages including spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2008, 11:46 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,636 posts, read 2,898,658 times
Reputation: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Most people don't consider Spanish a minor language. Spanish is one of the top languages in the world. The majority of the countries in the Western world( the Americas) are latin languages(Spanish, French, and Portuguese). Learning latin languages are very popular in schools in the US. For foreign language courses, people are more likely to learn a Latin language than a Germanic(excluding English) language. So I don't consider a language with over 500 million people a minor language. And besides, English was influence by several languages including spanish.
Exactly. English in the language of money at this time, so it's spoken all over the world.
But calling Spanish a "minor" language is ridiculous. Our part of the world(the Americas) has a massive Spanish speaking population.

I think that poster was just speaking out of bias towards Mexicans/Central Americans, stemming from this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2008, 11:51 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I'm African American myself, and your statement just prove how ethnocentric and xenophobia this country can be. Who cares if the person is speaking a language other than english in public. There is nothing wrong for you to learn another language, if you really want to know what they're saying.
Save the labels for someone who cares, I don't. That being said, you really need to spend more time outside the confines of the ghetto known as Harvey, IL and visit a few civilized, gang free, normal neighborhoods in America.

English is the language of the US. Speaking any foreign language in a guest country (especially if you are an UNINVITED illegal alien "guest") is rude, ignorant, arrogant and disrespectful. The very least they should do is learn and obey the laws and adapt to said country of invasion's culture and language.

Under your scenario you would have me to believe that if someone sold drugs on your corner in Harvey, you wouldn't get mad about it. Guess what, you would. We both know that's the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2008, 11:51 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,203,701 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Most people don't consider Spanish a minor language. Spanish is one of the top languages in the world. The majority of the countries in the Western world( the Americas) are latin languages(Spanish, French, and Portuguese). Learning latin languages are very popular in schools in the US. For foreign language courses, people are more likely to learn a Latin language than a Germanic(excluding English) language. So I don't consider a language with over 500 million people a minor language. And besides, English was influence by several languages including spanish.
let's see some fact based statistics. Other wise, you've twisted this right off topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2008, 12:10 AM
 
Location: Chicago metro
3,375 posts, read 7,046,849 times
Reputation: 1853
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Save the labels for someone who cares, I don't. That being said, you really need to spend more time outside the confines of the ghetto known as Harvey, IL and visit a few civilized, gang free, normal neighborhoods in America.

English is the language of the US. Speaking any foreign language in a guest country (especially if you are an UNINVITED illegal alien "guest") is rude, ignorant, arrogant and disrespectful. The very least they should do is learn and obey the laws and adapt to said country of invasion's culture and language.

Under your scenario you would have me to believe that if someone sold drugs on your corner in Harvey, you wouldn't get mad about it. Guess what, you would. We both know that's the truth.
I been to many places outside of Harvey, including some islands( etc. Puerto Rico, Bahamas). I been to plenty of so called nice neighborhoods, considering I live very close to them and go to them everyday. And guess what, those so called nice neighborhoods have people speaking languages other than english such as Spanish, Arabic, or Hindu. I don't know about you, but I'm used to hearing spanish and hear it everyday, so it don't bother me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2008, 12:22 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,203,701 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I been to many places outside of Harvey, including some islands( etc. Puerto Rico, Bahamas). I been to plenty of so called nice neighborhoods, considering I live very close to them and go to them everyday. And guess what, those so called nice neighborhoods have people speaking languages other than english such as Spanish, Arabic, or Hindu. I don't know about you, but I'm used to hearing spanish and hear it everyday, so it don't bother me.
Well,,Good for you...... But I'm afraid I'll have to break the news that your not the only person in this world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2008, 08:03 AM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I been to many places outside of Harvey, including some islands( etc. Puerto Rico, Bahamas). I been to plenty of so called nice neighborhoods, considering I live very close to them and go to them everyday. And guess what, those so called nice neighborhoods have people speaking languages other than english such as Spanish, Arabic, or Hindu. I don't know about you, but I'm used to hearing spanish and hear it everyday, so it don't bother me.
I don't care how many different FOREIGN languages you hear in public, this is the US of America and English is our primary language. Nor does it change the fact that it's rude, disrespectful, arrogant and ignorant or that the majority of Americans are annoyed by it as well.

As far as your travels, on second thought it's probably best that you stick to visiting latino populated, spanish speaking places, that way you don't look so suspect when la migra is present.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2008, 08:09 AM
 
1,474 posts, read 2,016,557 times
Reputation: 457
well, at least with all the new troll post appearing we have the satisfaction of knoing that Chicago guy is the real deal ....................and I am being nice cause I dont think he likes my lilly white butt............


Now really, the entire point of the OP was the indifferent attitude of the spanish ILLEGALS refusing to learn english and instead expecting us to change our speech patterns.
My wife who is of spanish heritage cant speak a bit of spanish, wearas I the solid white english dude can speak it well.

Its not that they ALL immigrants wont eventually learn the language of the host country, most will, its the attitude of some of them and including enablers, that we should learn the spanish language so we dont hurt the feelings of the illegals..............thats the rub............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2008, 08:11 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
well, at least with all the new troll post appearing we have the satisfaction of knoing that Chicago guy is the real deal ....................and I am being nice cause I dont think he likes my lilly white butt............


Now really, the entire point of the OP was the indifferent attitude of the spanish ILLEGALS refusing to learn english and instead expecting us to change our speech patterns.
My wife who is of spanish heritage cant speak a bit of spanish, wearas I the solid white english dude can speak it well.

Its not that they ALL immigrants wont eventually learn the language of the host country, most will, its the attitude of some of them and including enablers, that we should learn the spanish language so we dont hurt the feelings of the illegals..............thats the rub............
As you stated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top