U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-20-2008, 09:16 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,200,288 times
Reputation: 4611

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
what about resident aliens? my parents, now naturalized citizens, were resident aliens when i was born. i guess i wouldn't be a citizen in your america, which is too bad, because i'm a damned fine citizen.
"non-citizens" those who have entered this country illegally.

I can see that no answer is good enough for you. Your trying to provoke an argument. Which is a violation of TOS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-20-2008, 09:19 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
which analogy was that? i don't recall making one. i would just like to know what you would put in place of the citizenship clause, since you want to repeal it. if citizenship ceases to be a birthright, then who do you anticipate would be a citizen?

don't forget, we're on the same side, here.
Had you gone back and read my response, I had already answered your question:

Quote:
If one parent is a legal immigrant who gives birth on American soil then that is strictly a separate issue as that parent is legally present and under the jurisdiction of the US.
When reading, it is important to remember that comprehension is the key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2008, 09:31 PM
 
2,516 posts, read 7,548,358 times
Reputation: 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
"non-citizens" those who have entered this country illegally.

I can see that no answer is good enough for you. Your trying to provoke an argument. Which is a violation of TOS.
no, i'm not trying to provoke an argument. why would i want to argue with you? i think the pro-illegal crowd have that covered, don't you? my point is that you seem to be overlooking the fact that there is an entire category of non-citizens who DID NOT enter the country illegally.

Last edited by katenik; 11-20-2008 at 09:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2008, 09:34 PM
 
2,516 posts, read 7,548,358 times
Reputation: 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Had you gone back and read my response, I had already answered your question:



When reading, it is important to remember that comprehension is the key.
when writing, clarity is key. (i'm wondering why you find it necessary to go on the attack. are you so accustomed to being on the defensive here that you don't recognize allies when they appear?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2008, 09:55 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
when writing, clarity is key. (i'm wondering why you find it necessary to go on the attack. are you so accustomed to being on the defensive here that you don't recognize allies when they appear?)
I'm not attacking you, I'm simply stating the truth. Why do you think I didn't elaborate when you asked the same question a second time and instead suggested that you reread the post? You asked me a question and as a courtesy, I answered you.

FYI: Personal responsibility is an admirable trait. If you didn't understand my response that was all you had to state in your SECOND request for an explanation of the question I had already answered. I would have had no problem rephrasing it to accomodate your 3rd grade comprehension level.

For the record, you are not my ally. I know who my allies are here. As far as I'm concerned, you are simply a new poster on this message board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2008, 09:58 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
"non-citizens" those who have entered this country illegally.

I can see that no answer is good enough for you. Your trying to provoke an argument. Which is a violation of TOS.
Agreed. Probably another one from the troll patch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2008, 10:00 PM
 
2,516 posts, read 7,548,358 times
Reputation: 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
I'm not attacking you, I'm simply stating the truth. Why do you think I didn't elaborate when you asked the same question a second time and instead suggested that you reread the post? You asked me a question and as a courtesy, I answered you.

FYI: Personal responsibility is an admirable trait. If you didn't understand my response that was all you had to state in your SECOND request for an explanation of the question I had already answered. I would have had no problem rephrasing it to accomodate your 3rd grade comprehension level.

Don't blame me for your low level of comprehension.
you are so rude. i regret ever thinking that we had something in common.

i'm finished with this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2008, 10:00 AM
 
1,309 posts, read 1,272,995 times
Reputation: 437
I think that JDM was responding in kind to some blatantly racist comments that were aimed at black people. As someone who is also black, I found the remarks equally offensive. Additionally, I don't believe the ebonic comment is valid since (1) most black people don't speak that way and (2) it is still English.

As for English proficiency for immigrants - I personally believe that having so many accomodations, has made it "easy" for many people to continue speaking Spanish. Yes, the children learn in school, but the adults don't always feel as it they have to.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
good luck! posters like JDM live to complain. in a nasty nasty way at that.

i think english proficiency is vital. and i can say that without the toxicicity evidenced by some posters.

it would def. benefit the immigrant to learn the language of the land. thats what needs to be made aware. the only thing is that immigrants really do get this. every school around my house has night classes for english. they are packed! immigrants are learning english and previous threads(in this forum) have shown how in places like CALI, the immigrant is becomng more english proficient than previous decades and is assimilating more.

of course thats not the case all around. but that dont stop people from making generalizations.

as for the ebonics comment. i think its a valid one if we are talking about english proficiency. but most people on here like to talk about "south of the border" issues. it always becomes about mexicans and spanish.

this should be about english proficiency. but then we must also discuss education. and a couple of other issues. its a complicated topic and certain posters really dont have the capacity to engage in a intelligent discourse. one that moves beyond a "They are determined to drag us down to their level of abyss."

thanks for your input i really do appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2008, 10:05 AM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
I think that JDM was responding in kind to some blatantly racist comments that were aimed at black people. As someone who is also black, I found the remarks equally offensive. Additionally, I don't believe the ebonic comment is valid since (1) most black people don't speak that way and (2) it is still English.

As for English proficiency for immigrants - I personally believe that having so many accomodations, has made it "easy" for many people to continue speaking Spanish. Yes, the children learn in school, but the adults don't always feel as it they have to.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
Agreed. The majority of those in this country illegally are simply wishing to obliterate America's borders, language, culture, and way of life, all in the name of expecting us to lower ourselves and our standards in order to accomodate their: 3rd world level of comfort, lack of desire or ability to enter legally, adhere to American rule of law, learn English or assimilate on any level.

Excellent points and post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2008, 11:12 AM
 
1,474 posts, read 2,016,184 times
Reputation: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
what about resident aliens? my parents, now naturalized citizens, were resident aliens when i was born. i guess i wouldn't be a citizen in your America, which is too bad, because i'm a damned fine citizen.
Kat.....your parents were here legally.........thats the distinction that makes them and you and American.............and that is the distinction the illegals are trying to blur the picture on.................By the way, I am damn glad your a fine American citizen.......................

The issue as regard the 14th and the history of it was direct response to the American war of Rebellion and the efforts of the southern states to subvert and continue to control the electoral process of the south to the exclusion of the freed people of bondage. There was a systematic effort of disenfranchisements directed at a entire people.

The 14th was what codified the RIGHT of an entire people, recently freed from a moral shame, the RIGHT to exist as AMERICAN CITIZENS regardless of birth right...................and it still took well over 140 years for a full realization to a country that our black American brothers and sisters were entitled to the SAME rights and privileges as others......................I dont have a problem understanding the core issue of birth right and the moral high ground that amendment IMPOSED to a society..............

The issue of slavery was a despicable action that never should have been allowed at the onset of our country. OUR PREAMBLE is very clear that we accepted the tenant "that ALL men are created equal" in the eyes of the creator................and OUR black fellow citizens will NOT be relegated to the back of the bus again to accommodate the ILLEGALS who come here.....

I cannot accept that premise.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top