U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 10:23 AM

451 posts, read 1,016,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
President Bush Dec. 4 signed into law a provision that will in time grant Mexican trucking companies access to roadways throughout the U.S., a decision that may reverberate in the domestic waterborne shipping industry.
The Senate had previously drafted a set of safety standards for which it would have conceivably taken years to establish inspection and enforcement systems, and which Mexican trucking companies would have been very hard pressed to meet. The House of Representatives passed legislation to prohibit Mexican trucks from operating outside of a 20-mile zone within the U.S. border.
However, a House and Senate conference committee in November compromised on legislation that keeps several of the safety standards proposed by the Senate but relaxes or eliminates others in order to make it easier for Mexican trucking companies and the U.S. Department of Transportation to meet the new less demanding guidelines.
NAFTA, which was implemented in 1994, required that the U.S. open U.S.-Mexico border states to Mexican trucking in 1995. Further, it required that Mexican trucks and drivers be allowed access to all states in the U.S. by Jan. 1, 2000. In the interim, it allowed Mexican trucks to travel in a commercial zone ranging from 3 to 20 miles into U.S. soil to deliver cargoes bound for interior states.
Although this issue deals exclusively with ground transportation, it has strong parallels with U.S. shipping laws, the Jones Act and Passenger Vessel Services Act. These cabotage laws reserve the waterborne transportation of cargo and passengers for ships built in the U.S., crewed with U.S. citizens, owned and operated by companies for which a majority of stakeholders are U.S. citizens.
Organized labor has long objected to opening the U.S. to Mexican trucking, citing greatly increased safety risks from inferior long-haul trucks from Mexico operating on U.S. roadways, as well as the loss of jobs and attrition in wages that will befall American truck drivers as a result.
The Clinton administration never implemented the NAFTA requirement that would have granted unrestricted access to Mexican trucking operations, citing safety concerns. Mexican trucks have remained limited to the 3 to 20 mile zone.
A NAFTA tribunal in Mexico challenged this position in 1998 and in February 2001 released a decision requiring that the U.S. open its border per NAFTA requirements or face financial penalties.
The compromise legislation signed by the President will allow Mexican carriers to apply to the DOT for conditional and/or permanent operating authority. If the operator is found to meet U.S. safety standards, a permit can be granted to authorize the company's trucks to operate throughout the U.S.
According to the U.S. Customs Service, 2,383,471 trucks crossed the border from Mexico to the U.S. in 2000 and, as of September 2001, 1,681,526 trucks had entered the U.S. from Mexico.
According to a study published in February 2001 by Public Citizen, about 1 percent (35,000) of every one million Mexican trucks that cross the border undergo safety and licensing inspections. Of that 1 percent, more than one-third, about 12,250, are turned away because of safety deficiencies.
In all, the Transportation Department (DOT) estimates that opening the border will increase traffic from Mexican trucks to about 7 million from its current level, according to the study. At the time the report was published, there were 101 state commercial truck inspectors and 60 federal inspectors at the border. The DOT estimates covering every one of the 7 million Mexican trucks would require about 32,000 inspectors.
The compromise legislation doesn't hold to the truck-by-truck inspections cited by Public Citizen. Instead, it modifies the safety standards originally passed by the Senate to create a company-by-company inspection system, with additional checks of individual drivers at the border.
Under the new legislation, Mexican trucking companies that apply for conditional authority to operate within the U.S. must pass safety inspections by U.S. inspectors, and 50 percent of the trucking capacity must be inspected in Mexico. The original Senate package required 100 percent. Those seeking permanent authority must undergo a full compliance review and on-site inspection by the DOT.
Mexican trucks operated by approved companies must be inspected every 90 days for three years. Border crossings must be equipped with scales, and in-motion weighing systems must be in place at the 10 busiest border crossings. Approximately 200 new Federal Motor Carrier inspectors and field personnel must be hired.
Mexican truck drivers carrying hazardous cargo will undergo electronic driver's license verification. At least 50 percent of all other Mexican truckers will be subject to electronic license verification.
Before any Mexican trucking companies are granted authority to operate beyond the 20-mile border restriction, the DOT must inspect the border systems to ensure the improvements have been implemented.
This story is from december, as far as i can tell the 20 mile limit is no longer in effect. The Mexican trucks will start cruising our highways 60 days from now. Thanks Presmexidant Bush! This Man and his Republican/Democratic turn coat friends time after time have proven that the selling of america and its way of life means nothing to them. We do not want your third world...Bush I say that we find out the day and the hour the first of the long haul mexican trucks will be rolling into this country...I call on every American with a car/truck(Prefer Big Rig w/trailer to go down to the border and block the road. The giving away of this country by men who have never lived the way most of us do has to stop! The politicians in washington are not americans...they are business men looking out for the good of themselves.

Last edited by chloedog; 02-24-2007 at 10:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 10:32 AM

989 posts, read 5,326,022 times
WHAT AN OUTRAGE!

Each and everyone of these MEXO trucks should be inspected to the fullest extent of the law..

Old 02-24-2007, 10:39 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,886,782 times
I don't care where it comes from, ALL of them should be dealt with accordingly. Because honestly, I don't trust very many trucking companies. If you pay them enough money, they'll haul WHATEVER you want. Our president and government are frustrating pieces of poo poo.

Old 02-24-2007, 03:29 PM

6,739 posts, read 8,541,977 times
I wonder how many illegals will occupy these trucks coming in the USA.

Old 02-24-2007, 05:38 PM

This is a recent article (Feb 23)on the same subject.

Quote:
U.S. Opens Border to First Mexican Trucks in 25 Years (Update3)

By Thomas Black

Feb. 23 (Bloomberg) -- Mexican trucks will be allowed to make deliveries beyond U.S. border areas for the first time in 25 years, in a test announced by U.S. and Mexican officials.
Moderator cut: Provide a link instead of copying everything here, please

Last edited by Marka; 12-07-2007 at 11:39 AM..

Old 02-24-2007, 08:36 PM

483 posts, read 1,746,820 times
Canadian trucks have access to the entire US, so why shouldn't Mexican trucks have the same access?

Old 02-24-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Hatless Wonder
Canadian trucks have access to the entire US, so why shouldn't Mexican trucks have the same access?
Like I said in a previous post...The last time I checked I did not see thousands of Canadians in the streets of America demanding citizenship. I also did not notice Canadians holding up signs that claimed they owned and were going to take back part of the western united states or signs that said "Racist pig". Also flying the American flag in a disrespectful manner and flying the flag of their nationality.The only rebutle I have seen time after time is " everyone who disagrees with the illegals being in America is a Racist", " what about all the other illegals", " they are wanting a better life" and now "Canadian trucks have access to the entire US, so why shouldn't Mexican trucks have the same access?" blah! blah! blah! These are weak rebuttals to the big picture of the crimes being committed by illegal law breaking MOSTLY mexicans against the citizens of the United States. "Hatless Wonder "if you want to be further informed go the the thread "Terroristic Mexican organization- "EL PLAN DE AZTLÁN"" and you will see why I have a problem with it. This is just one of many Racist Mexican organizations that feel America is a occupier of mexican lands.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:42 PM

597 posts, read 1,786,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatless Wonder View Post
Well, I didn't read anywhere in the provisions about the truck drivers being able to communicate in English. One would assume that this would be a necessity for any driver carrying cargo into this country, for safety's sake. At least Canada, like the US, has a reliable system of inspections and maintenance laws regarding their trucks, but I'm doubtful such a system exists in Mexico. We are allowing more jobs to flow out of this country by allowing Mexican truckers in (at the ports and trucking companies). Simple as that.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:47 PM

597 posts, read 1,786,344 times
Truckers actually make a decent living these days. If this comes to pass on a permanent basis--which we all assume is going to happen, then we can say hello to falling wages for the truckers in this country. Yet another outsourcing of American jobs. It's never going to end.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:45 PM

483 posts, read 1,746,820 times
My question- How many Mexican truckers know how to drive in the snow? Do they know how to use snow chains?

Well, I didn't read anywhere in the provisions about the truck drivers being able to communicate in English. One would assume that this would be a necessity for any driver carrying cargo into this country, for safety's sake.

Most of the Canadian truckers I encounter speak only French. Quite a few American big-rig drivers are Hispanic. I don't think language would be too much of a problem.

I wonder how many illegals will occupy these trucks coming in the USA.

Probably as many as stow away on trucks coming in from Canada. Some border crossings in Vermont and Maine are still "patrolled" by video cameras after 10:00 pm. Boston is 6 hours from Montréal and 7 hours from Quebec City, and immigrant smuggling is a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration