U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 01:40 AM

9,716 posts, read 12,940,289 times

Advertisements

I really get tired of the anti-hispanic bias on these boards. Hispanics aren't the only illegal aliens in this country and most people have no way to determine which Hispanics are here legally and which are not. People think they can determine legality by "speaks English" but that doesn't tell you if someone is illegal or not and it's grossly unfair to those who are here legally who don't speak English. Meanwhile, you just accept anyone who speaks English as being here legally.

Whoa! Bright bunch we have here!! Magic 8 Ball anyone?!!

I had to let four really good bilingual workers go at one job because they were all illegal. On the other hand, I had to KEEP several people who spoke NO English because they WERE legal! And we checked their papers out really well because the company didn't want to get fined!

I just find this whole "thought pattern" really frustrating and I chalk it up to the lack of education in this country. It's not like every other country doesn't know our schools are down near the bottom and have been for a very long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 02:09 AM

919 posts, read 1,667,798 times
So you "had" to let go 4 illegals? Small but a start. The legals were just that "legal". To qualify for citizenship they will have to learn english. Pay alittle more and you might get some. The indians were beat in a fair fight, alls fair in love and war. They lost there land. Now america is in another "silent" war and could loose the land we have. And they do have the attitude to take it back.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
So you "had" to let go 4 illegals? Small but a start. The legals were just that "legal". To qualify for citizenship they will have to learn english. Pay alittle more and you might get some. The indians were beat in a fair fight, alls fair in love and war. They lost there land. Now america is in another "silent" war and could loose the land we have. And they do have the attitude to take it back.
I don't know if any of the legals were citizens. They all had work permits and legal papers. A couple had refugee status because they came from countries with civil wars going on and were given emnesty. Do those people need to know English too? Why were they all legally here if they didn't know English?

All the illegals spoke good English. I was really sorry to lose them because it made it hard for me to communicate with the "legals" because I didn't speak Spanish.

Funny thing too -- Puerto Ricans are automatically legal and they speak Spanish! Go figure!

Old 02-25-2007, 02:55 AM

340 posts, read 669,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I don't know if any of the legals were citizens. They all had work permits and legal papers. A couple had refugee status because they came from countries with civil wars going on and were given emnesty. Do those people need to know English too? Why were they all legally here if they didn't know English?

All the illegals spoke good English. I was really sorry to lose them because it made it hard for me to communicate with the "legals" because I didn't speak Spanish.

Funny thing too -- Puerto Ricans are automatically legal and they speak Spanish! Go figure!
UB50,

This is not a personal attack, but since you were so helpful with the english lesson earlier, I thought I would just return the favor..

"amnesty", not "emnesty"

Old 02-25-2007, 09:19 AM

597 posts, read 1,786,042 times
Quote:
II had to let four really good bilingual workers go at one job because they were all illegal. On the other hand, I had to KEEP several people who spoke NO English because they WERE legal! And we checked their papers out really well because the company didn't want to get fined!
The sad part is that there are lots of people now in the US that are here legally that cannot speak English. But, a lot of this is from the sheer number of illegal immigrants. Because many flood over the border and group together in ethnic enclaves all over this country, have babies that are now citizens, and speak Spanish exclusively in their communities, which makes the need to learn English obsolete. As far as those making the argument that not all illegals are Hispanic, that is true, but it's a complete BS argument. The number of Irish and Chinese illegal immigrants or others is such a minute number compared to the millions that are crossing the Mexican border every year (what like 1%?). When communities are transformed from predominantly one ethnicity (black, white, or whatever) to predominantly Hispanic in a matter of a few years, that argument doesn't really hold water. And this is the reality of towns all over the US, particularly in the West. Massive numbers of poor, uneducated, low-skilled illegal immigrants are flooding into towns all over this country and people are sick of it. I'll be honest and say if they were English speaking, people would be more accepting, but I still believe that there would still be outrage even then.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:40 AM

1,701 posts, read 5,847,515 times
UB I second that, I find it's very funny when someone bashes illegal immigrants of Latin Descent when they live in a community where there are hardly any. They must be receiving their news from CNN, even Fox News is brutal towards these people. I'm like there's no way these people have encounters with illegal immigrants, and realize there actual people, flesh and bones. Maybe, they've injected themselves with too much "Macho Man" Lou Dobbs.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:50 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,709,656 times
Quote:
I had to let four really good bilingual workers go at one job because they were all illegal. On the other hand, I had to KEEP several people who spoke NO English because they WERE legal! And we checked their papers out really well because the company didn't want to get fined!
And there does seem to be lack of familiarity with the law in this country.

Quote:
Federal Immigration and Nationality Act

Section 8 USC 1324(a)(1)(A)(iv)(b)(iii)

It is unlawful to hire an alien, to recruit an alien, or to refer an illegal alien for a fee, knowing the illegal alien is unauthorized to work in the United States. It is equally unlawful to continue to employ an illegal alien knowing that the illegal alien is unauthorized to work.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:08 PM

1,393 posts, read 2,490,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
UB I second that, I find it's very funny when someone bashes illegal immigrants of Latin Descent when they live in a community where there are hardly any. They must be receiving their news from CNN, even Fox News is brutal towards these people. I'm like there's no way these people have encounters with illegal immigrants, and realize there actual people, flesh and bones. Maybe, they've injected themselves with too much "Macho Man" Lou Dobbs.

And I third that, oh, never mind I'm on the other side. Kick all illegals out..

And while we're at it fine and jail anyone that hires them, the illegals !

Old 02-25-2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
And there does seem to be lack of familiarity with the law in this country.
They all had fake papers. It's very time consuming to check papers out to the Nth degree -- that's why most companies don't do it. But this company had over 100 employees and they decided that they really needed to investigate the status of the workers because the fines are fairly large.

There were actually five illegals -- but one guy was only a week away from becoming legal so he was "laid off" for a week but allowed to return once he was legal.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:49 PM

1,701 posts, read 5,847,515 times
This thread's main focus has subtle racism written all over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or