U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-22-2008, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelanddiana View Post
Interesting fact..Americans took Texas from the Mexicans.
And the Hispanics (Spaniards) took Mexico from the Aztecs, etc.

The Aztecs conquered weaker Indian tribes prior to Cortez.

Welcome to history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-22-2008, 10:36 AM
 
14 posts, read 23,579 times
Reputation: 14
I was just pointing it out for a laugh..don't get so defensive....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2008, 12:28 PM
 
9 posts, read 21,175 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
USA has no official Language. You know why... its a free country!
"Freedom" is defined as Freedom of Speech and Religion. Before you make a statement be sure to read up about what your preaching about. When the forefathers came to America they intended to make a country where a particular religion was not forced nor their right to speak freely on their opinions. This is why it was called the LAND OF THE FREE.

Quote:
and just because people hang the mexican flag doesnt mean they are illegal alliens!
I didn't say that hanging the Mexican Flag means they are illegals. But hanging any flag OVER the American flag is DISRESPECT and in many nations is a declaration of war. This is the one of the few countries where the people and sometimes the government itself try to make us feel guilty for being Americans and take pride in what everyone else has.

Quote:
San Antonio has heritage, History and coulture
Yes it does! But being cultural and having NO respect for the territorial laws in which you live are two different things.

Quote:
ST. Anthony but that would make it sound really gay.
How old are you?

Quote:
you camplain about mexicans pride for there past and family lineage yet your name is german texas? go back to germany, this is america! america is number1!
I never said t hat. And NO I don't have to go back to a place that me nor my parents were born.

Quote:
In the meantime, hang in there, a change is gonna come, Americans are awake and demanding action.
Jdubsmom:
I do hope Obama begins opening his ears and helps the American people.
Our last president GWBjr Insulted the ENTIRE American population when he went on national TV and said "[mexicans] do work that Americans won't do.".

Thank you for not being slightly ignorant as some of these media brainwashed people have been. I've seen these people and how they behave in real life. Many are traitors even when they are born on this side of the border their 'culture' is one of Machismo and Violence.

Quote:
As for your post, GermanTexas, don't let the political correctness brigade try to silence you. Just assert the fact that you oppose illegals not legal immigrants. In addition, ensure that you support your arguments with facts from reliable sources in order to convince people otherwise they (the political correctness brigade) will just try to stop you from speaking out against illegal immigration.
Well friend let's examine the FACTS.. Which is safer coming here legally or illegally??
Legally- You can drive over in a car with plenty of supplies to survive. Get suitable housing, apply for work pretty much anywhere and enroll your kids in school...

Illegally- many of them spend hours if not days in arid enviroments, crossing through contaminated water.. Risking their safety by trusting coyotes and other people to bring them here. Once here it is hard to find work and enroll their kids

Problem is, The US has started making it easier for illegals to get benefits and enroll in various programs. They shouldnt! Not only because it encourages these people to "jump ahead of the line", which is of course unfair to those who wait, but it's putting their lives at risk.

I have seen PLENTY of successful immigrants of Asian and European origin. As well as successful Immigrants from Latin America. I have no problem with them because they are law obidiing citizens who CARE about their future.

Quote:
1st of all,
how do you know that somebody is in the US legally or illegally,
if I stop you right now, can you prove that you are an american citizen and not an illegal inmigrant from Canada???
I have papers proving where I was born. This isnt about me either. If they are unable to read/write/speak english, it's pretty obvious isn't it. And you brought up a good point about Canadian Illegals.. However they are not causing a problem for our country as others are.

Quote:
How do you know that "a mexican" is here legally or illegally?
I didn't mention Mexicans in that segment. But if you want a quick answer, refer to the above.

{quote]- Are you offended during St. Patrick's day when everybody goes around with an Irish flag?
- Are you offended during Oktoberfest when everybody goes around with a German flag?[/quote]

St Patrick's day and Oktober fest are not year long events. Nor do the people come around telling "gringos" to go home.

Quote:
Most people on welfare in the US are white.
What does being white have to do with being on welfare? Are we going to turn this into a racist thread now? Hispanic is NOT a race. Nor is Mexican for that matter.

Quote:
Interesting that you think speaking a different language is illegal,
are you gonna go into every single High School and arrest all the kids that are taking foreign languages?
He didn't say it was illegal to speak another language. It is NOT illegal. However the LANGUAGE OF THIS COUNTRY is English. 99.9% of business transactions are held in English. The Government works in English.



Quote:
San Antonio has always been an hispanic city. I've been there and love it alot! The Mexican-American culture has always been there. Tejano music and singers like Selena have huge popularity there. Now the Mexican culture (which is different than the Mexican American culture) is there also.
Tejano has it's roots in German Polka music. What's the point? being hispanic and being an illegal immigrant are two very different things.

Quote:
Thanks for your post. I can tell you have genuine interest in the USA and wanted to re-state that the true problem is not the immigrants..... In your state it's your fellow Texans who hire these individuals, rent to paperless/social securityless, unverifiable/creditless people and It's the Homeowners who pick them up at the home depots to do manual labor rather than hiring a licensed contractor. In my State of California its the same thing but on larger scale.
You are RIGHT!! I admit and I did state that in my first post that it is the fault of greedy people for these people coming here illegally.
I think it's just as bad here as California, just that in Texas people look away and do not care. I have been to the westside San Antonio, lots of the people live there very much like they do in Mexico. You can find houses that are basically unlivable where families are living in. You can find migrants camps here and there within this city as well. The thing is...our city makes it easy for these people to get housing. Like i said, i think ours is a sactuary city, undercover.

Just as in California, you can find people standing around different places looking for work.. usually convenience stores. People don't realise that if they are not qualified for the work the quality will not be good.

To all the people who mentioned drugs being an American demand. You are right and I agree. I DO NOT understand the mentality of people who need drugs in order to survive. I think this problem should be addressed locally as much as foreign.

Quote:
Percentage wise: going by ethnicity; Blacks and Latinos may indeed use welfare more often.
The Largest minority group on Welfare is Hispanic.

Quote:
Interesting fact..Americans took Texas from the Mexicans.
Texas was won and was part of a territorial relinquishment. And Mexicans would NEVER have had Texas if the Spaniards never claimed it.

Pre anglo/saxon Texas was mostly frontier land with a few missions scattered here and there many aggressive Indians who regularly attacked both mission Indians and the Spaniards..

The majority of Hispanics who have been here since Spaniard times descend from the Indian of the area, as well as Spaniards.

If anyone built this state it was indeed the Americans/Texans, who were mostly Germans btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2008, 09:40 PM
 
1,297 posts, read 4,933,922 times
Reputation: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
so what youre saying is that you rather cough up extra cash for a licensed contractor that is going to rip you off. or pay your employees insurance, benefits, and minimum wage? Then youre not a real american. America is based on ripping other people off.

I always hire licensed and seasoned contractors because I would prefer to pay more and have the work done correctly. Not: "it's ok man", "it's pretty good", "it's not off by that much" "you cant really see it, unless your right there"

I didn't do that on a small bath remodel, used 1 guy that I knew (thought I knew) who was responsible for hiring the subs, who turned out not to be licensed and in two cases illegally here. I had to call back several of the workers, finally decided that they were incapable of doing quality work and have never seen quality work so it was beyond comprehension. I called in the guys/tradesman I regularly use, ended up paying more but getting it done with "A" standards.

There are good and bad, honest & dishonest in every trade. You can't blanketly say licensed contractors are a rip-off and America is based on ripping others off. That's not true and if you find yourself continously running into those circumstances , you should do some reflection on whats going on with your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2008, 09:44 PM
 
Location: none of ur biznissss
89 posts, read 968,153 times
Reputation: 81
They take our jobs and it's unfair to people who actually go through getting LEGIT papers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2008, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
so what youre saying is that you rather cough up extra cash for a licensed contractor that is going to rip you off. or pay your employees insurance, benefits, and minimum wage? Then youre not a real american. America is based on ripping other people off.
I have noticed that no one is more paraniod about getting robbed than a thief. I have also noticed that liars think that everyone else lies as a habit just like they do.
Maybe you feel that ripping people off is the best way to do business. Maybe you feel that cheating is the only way.
I assure you most Americans do not think like you. Most of us would prefer an honest route any day over a cheat. This way you don't have to worry about who knows what you did and who might turn you in. Peace of mind is worth the additional cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2008, 09:23 AM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Reputation: 17688
If anyone sees work being done by suspected Illegal Aliens simply pick up the phone and give the City a call. It's anonymous and they will be out to check for licenses and permits. If it's in your hood it affects your property value too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2008, 09:30 AM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by germantexas View Post
"Freedom" is defined as Freedom of Speech and Religion. Before you make a statement be sure to read up about what your preaching about. When the forefathers came to America they intended to make a country where a particular religion was not forced nor their right to speak freely on their opinions. This is why it was called the LAND OF THE FREE.

I didn't say that hanging the Mexican Flag means they are illegals. But hanging any flag OVER the American flag is DISRESPECT and in many nations is a declaration of war. This is the one of the few countries where the people and sometimes the government itself try to make us feel guilty for being Americans and take pride in what everyone else has.

Yes it does! But being cultural and having NO respect for the territorial laws in which you live are two different things.

How old are you?

I never said t hat. And NO I don't have to go back to a place that me nor my parents were born.

Jdubsmom:
I do hope Obama begins opening his ears and helps the American people.
Our last president GWBjr Insulted the ENTIRE American population when he went on national TV and said "[mexicans] do work that Americans won't do.".

Thank you for not being slightly ignorant as some of these media brainwashed people have been. I've seen these people and how they behave in real life. Many are traitors even when they are born on this side of the border their 'culture' is one of Machismo and Violence.

Well friend let's examine the FACTS.. Which is safer coming here legally or illegally??
Legally- You can drive over in a car with plenty of supplies to survive. Get suitable housing, apply for work pretty much anywhere and enroll your kids in school...

Illegally- many of them spend hours if not days in arid enviroments, crossing through contaminated water.. Risking their safety by trusting coyotes and other people to bring them here. Once here it is hard to find work and enroll their kids

Problem is, The US has started making it easier for illegals to get benefits and enroll in various programs. They shouldnt! Not only because it encourages these people to "jump ahead of the line", which is of course unfair to those who wait, but it's putting their lives at risk.

I have seen PLENTY of successful immigrants of Asian and European origin. As well as successful Immigrants from Latin America. I have no problem with them because they are law obidiing citizens who CARE about their future.

I have papers proving where I was born. This isnt about me either. If they are unable to read/write/speak english, it's pretty obvious isn't it. And you brought up a good point about Canadian Illegals.. However they are not causing a problem for our country as others are.

I didn't mention Mexicans in that segment. But if you want a quick answer, refer to the above.

Quote:
- Are you offended during St. Patrick's day when everybody goes around with an Irish flag?
- Are you offended during Oktoberfest when everybody goes around with a German flag?
St Patrick's day and Oktober fest are not year long events. Nor do the people come around telling "gringos" to go home.

What does being white have to do with being on welfare? Are we going to turn this into a racist thread now? Hispanic is NOT a race. Nor is Mexican for that matter.

He didn't say it was illegal to speak another language. It is NOT illegal. However the LANGUAGE OF THIS COUNTRY is English. 99.9% of business transactions are held in English. The Government works in English.



Tejano has it's roots in German Polka music. What's the point? being hispanic and being an illegal immigrant are two very different things.

You are RIGHT!! I admit and I did state that in my first post that it is the fault of greedy people for these people coming here illegally.
I think it's just as bad here as California, just that in Texas people look away and do not care. I have been to the westside San Antonio, lots of the people live there very much like they do in Mexico. You can find houses that are basically unlivable where families are living in. You can find migrants camps here and there within this city as well. The thing is...our city makes it easy for these people to get housing. Like i said, i think ours is a sactuary city, undercover.

Just as in California, you can find people standing around different places looking for work.. usually convenience stores. People don't realise that if they are not qualified for the work the quality will not be good.

To all the people who mentioned drugs being an American demand. You are right and I agree. I DO NOT understand the mentality of people who need drugs in order to survive. I think this problem should be addressed locally as much as foreign.

The Largest minority group on Welfare is Hispanic.

Texas was won and was part of a territorial relinquishment. And Mexicans would NEVER have had Texas if the Spaniards never claimed it.

Pre anglo/saxon Texas was mostly frontier land with a few missions scattered here and there many aggressive Indians who regularly attacked both mission Indians and the Spaniards..

The majority of Hispanics who have been here since Spaniard times descend from the Indian of the area, as well as Spaniards.

If anyone built this state it was indeed the Americans/Texans, who were mostly Germans btw.


Thank you for your kind words and encouragement!

Well stated and very excellent post!

Last edited by JDubsMom; 11-23-2008 at 09:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2008, 12:24 PM
 
Location: S.Florida
3,325 posts, read 4,693,104 times
Reputation: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
such a lame question. Oviously your Ignorance is beyond repair. USA has no official Language. You know why... its a free country! and just because people hang the mexican flag doesnt mean they are illegal alliens! San Antonio has heritage, History and coulture if it didnt it would be called ST. Anthony but that would make it sound really gay. if you dont like it here no one is forcing you to stay. youre better off elswhere.

good day.

You speak with the voice of reason. I do not support illegal immigration but support the diversity and languages this majestic land offers.

If we are to assume the Mexican flag being flown suggest the person/s who fly it are not citizens than let us assume same of the person/s who fly the confederate flag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2008, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Chicago metro
3,375 posts, read 7,045,389 times
Reputation: 1853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savimbi View Post
You speak with the voice of reason. I do not support illegal immigration but support the diversity and languages this majestic land offers.

If we are to assume the Mexican flag being flown suggest the person/s who fly it are not citizens than let us assume same of the person/s who fly the confederate flag.
Some of these people don't know what they're talking about. They don't call America the melting pot for nothing. If you don't want to hear Mexicans/hispanics speaking spanish and see Mexican flags on poles, then move to places like South Dakota, Montana, and other states like them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top