U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-24-2007, 04:32 PM
 
Location: Springfield, Illinois
31 posts, read 85,680 times
Reputation: 58

Advertisements

After recently evaluating my forum participation here and on other online forums, I have come to the conclusion based on the following article that getting involved in forum debates such as this one are not really helping anything. They just get lost in endless un-winnable debates. We could probably all better spend our energy by getting involved politically in this cause, or participate in some existing grass-roots movement regarding the illegal immigration problems.

For anyone who is interested, here is a great article on forum addiction:

Quote:
Effective Online Forum Usage
by Steve Pavlina

What information consumes is rather obvious: it consumes the attention of its recipients. Hence, a wealth of information creates a poverty of attention and a need to allocate that attention efficiently among the overabundance of information sources that might consume it.
- Herbert Simon

Online forums, message boards, and newsgroups are now ubiquitous. These powerful communication tools offer many strong benefits. However, forum participation can also become a destructive addiction, where the benefits are overshadowed by negative side effects.

Here are some potential benefits of regular online forum participation:
  • Intellectual exchange
  • Learning new ideas and refining old ones
  • Enjoying community membership
  • Influencing the forum's evolution
  • Contributing to others
  • Making new friends and contacts
  • New business leads
  • Keeping up with current events
  • Learning about new opportunities

Here are some potential negative effects of excessive forum usage:
  • Reduced concentration and focus
  • Reduced productivity
  • Chronic procrastination
  • Increased pessimism and/or apathy
  • Being distracted by endless debates and idle gossip
  • Gradually substituting tribal group think for your own intelligence
  • Impaired social skills, neglected relationships, and a weakened social circle (a consequence of substituting online socialization for face-to-face conversations)
  • Reduced energy (forum participation is sedentary compared to more active social outlets)
  • Reduced self-esteem
  • Career and income may suffer (including loss of employment)
  • Forum addiction

Since the early 1990s, I've participated in many different online forums, message boards, and newsgroups and have experienced many of these positive and negative effects at various times. I ran a popular game developer forum for almost two years, so I've had experience both as a participant and a forum operator. On the positive side, I've learned many great ideas, made valuable new business contacts, and even met my wife on a local computer bulletin board system. On the negative side, I found excess participation to be a huge time drain (and very addicting as well).

Here are some suggestions for using forums effectively and avoiding the negative side effects:

1. Take a Forum Fast

First, if you're currently active in any forums, go on a forum fast. Stop visiting all forums for a while; don't even lurk. I recommend a fasting period of 30 days, with a bare minimum of 14 days. This will help you break any unconscious habits and regain your perspective, so you can intelligently evaluate the role forums should play in your life. Otherwise, you may be coming from a place of unconscious habit and will likely overestimate the value of continued participation. If you're currently a forum moderator, take a forum vacation, and enlist someone to temporarily assume your moderation duties. Redirect the time you would have spent in online forums to something positive like exercising or reading books. If you don't think you have the discipline to do this, simply make a post in each forum explaining that you'll be taking the next 30 days off, and if any forum member catches you online, you'll pay the first person that emails you about it $100. This should give you enough leverage to stick with your fast.

2. Reassess Your Forum Usage Habits

Once you've completed the initial fasting period (and not before), take a fresh look at your forum participation habits. Imagine that you just discovered each forum today for the first time. What are the pros and cons of participation? Is this the best use of your time, or can you imagine something better? If you're using forums to get specific information, would it be better to simply read books, articles, or blogs? If you're using them as a social outlet, would it be better to join a local club and meet people face-to-face? Looking back on your previous pattern of behavior, would you say you were addicted? Did your usage pattern become unconscious? If so, how do you intend to prevent that from happening again?

3. Clarify Your Expectations

If you decide to participate in online forums, clarify your expectations. Whether you intend to use forums for market research, to make new contacts, or as an outlet for your humorous wit, get clear on why you're there.

4. Establish Reasonable Boundaries

To limit the risk of forum addiction, set clear boundaries for yourself and write them down. You can limit the number of times per week you check each forum, the total amount of time you spend participating, or the number of posts you'll allow yourself to make each week. Track your weekly usage on a scrap of paper to keep yourself consciously aware of your participation habits. Don't go dark and succumb to unconscious habituation. Establish clear boundaries such that if you cross them, you know you're at risk of falling into a pattern of addiction. And if that ever happens, it's time to immediately begin a new fasting period.

5. Let It Go

If you find yourself repeatedly succumbing to forum addiction or other negative usage patterns, you may decide it's best to simply do without. At the time of this writing, I no longer regularly participate in any online forums or message boards. When I clarified my intentions, I realized my #1 reason for participation was to contribute and to help people. But using forums as a contribution outlet was inefficient, since it would too often lead to lengthy (and mostly unproductive) debates. I found that sticking with one-to-many outlets like writing articles and maintaining a blog were a much better use of my time. Blog comments still allow some interactivity, but the time required to manage them is reasonable and the personal relevance of most blog comments is extremely high.

6. Replace Online Socialization With Face-to-Face Contact

Regarding the social aspect, online forums are a poor substitute for meeting people in person. While there's certainly some social benefit to forums - many people have met their spouses in online forums, including me - it's important to physically spend time with human beings instead of via a computer screen. If you need a new social outlet, join a local club or association, especially one that meets weekly. I found that when I joined Toastmasters International and began attending meetings and competing in speech contests, my interest in socializing via online forums fell dramatically. Even the best online communication pales in comparison to face-to-face, belly-to-belly contact.

7. Be a Dabbler, Not a Fixture

Another tip is to treat forum participation as temporary. If your goal is to make new business contacts, then dive in and participate actively for a while, maybe 30-90 days. Make new friends and contacts, collect private contact info, and then abandon the forums. Continue to develop your new relationships via one-to-one communication like email, phone calls, and if possible, face-to-face meetings (such as at industry conferences). Temporarily dabbling in many different forums is a more effective way to build contacts than pushing a single forum far beyond its usefulness.

You can also use the dabbling method to gather general information on a subject. Seek out a number of relevant forums and bookmark them. Then spend a few hours scanning each forum once every six months to soak up the current wisdom. Whenever you have a specific question, pop in and search the forum archives. If searching turns up a blank, feel free to post a new message, harvest the answers, and disappear.

8. Avoid Addiction

Online forums are tricky beasts. At the time of this writing, my feeling is that ongoing daily participation in any single forum for more than a few months is almost invariably unproductive. Eventually the initial benefits like gaining knowledge and making new contacts produce diminishing returns. And then the negative effects like forum addiction set in. Regular participation (even from unconscious habituation) will still provide some benefits, but the longer you participate, the less efficiently those benefits are realized.

Close cousins of forum addiction include online gaming addiction, web surfing addiction, blog addiction, email addiction, and news addiction. The common pattern is that unconscious habituation overrides conscious, clear-headed decision-making. If you ever find yourself with such an unproductive habit, take steps to reassert conscious control. Use a period of fasting to regain your perspective, reexamine your motives, set clear boundaries, and find alternative outlets. Manage your forum usage consciously to serve your goals, and avoid the trap of addiction.

Online forums can be a powerful productivity tool, but self-awareness and discipline are required to prevent them from becoming a pitfall of procrastination.
Take care!


 
Old 07-22-2015, 02:32 PM
 
288 posts, read 170,286 times
Reputation: 146
[quote=Voyager;399473]After recently evaluating my forum participation here and on other online forums, I have come to the conclusion based on the following article that getting involved in forum debates such as this one are not really helping anything. They just get lost in endless un-winnable debates. We could probably all better spend our energy by getting involved politically in this cause, or participate in some existing grass-roots movement regarding the illegal immigration problems.

I think you are right, the current reality tells us that illegal immigrants are an essential for the economic activity for many different industries in the USA, most posters here are adamant about their wish to eradicate USA of immigrants, despite the fact that legal immigration is a relatively new concept; up until a few decades ago, immigrants showed up to our shores, underwent a little check-up and were stamped good for staying, recently and more convenient for the ones that already immigrated, to enter legally is a big hassle, however, we need cheap labor more than ever, and for that reason illegals will keep on coming...
 
Old 07-22-2015, 02:47 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,330,336 times
Reputation: 5895
[quote=El Arresmillao;40516083]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
After recently evaluating my forum participation here and on other online forums, I have come to the conclusion based on the following article that getting involved in forum debates such as this one are not really helping anything. They just get lost in endless un-winnable debates. We could probably all better spend our energy by getting involved politically in this cause, or participate in some existing grass-roots movement regarding the illegal immigration problems.

I think you are right, the current reality tells us that illegal immigrants are an essential for the economic activity for many different industries in the USA, most posters here are adamant about their wish to eradicate USA of immigrants, despite the fact that legal immigration is a relatively new concept; up until a few decades ago, immigrants showed up to our shores, underwent a little check-up and were stamped good for staying, recently and more convenient for the ones that already immigrated, to enter legally is a big hassle, however, we need cheap labor more than ever, and for that reason illegals will keep on coming...
I don't believe that at all. The US does NOT "need" cheap labor at all.
 
Old 07-22-2015, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Kansas
19,189 posts, read 14,138,779 times
Reputation: 18146
Cheap labor for businesses because we the taxpayers pick up the tab: The Fiscal Burden of Illegal Immigration on United States Taxpayers (2013)

Not to mention the lice treatments, the bedbug treatments, the anchor babies, the crime, the dog bites, along with a list of other 3rd world diseases they are dragging into the country.

They are taking our jobs: Illegal Aliens Taking U.S. Jobs (2013)

And we had this link and discussion: http://www.nsm88.org/fliers/Joe%20Vs%20Jose.pdf and we are tired of it.

The problem is they aren't here to pick crops, they are taking jobs from legal citizens in manufacturing, construction, etc. They can afford to work for less because they come with their hands out for public assistance and get it.

We need them like we need to be hit with a nuclear bomb.

My message is "Take your anchor babies and get on the bus, you're goin' home." And, most Americans agree with me: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...-deported?lite and http://www.wnd.com/2015/04/62-of-ame...port-illegals/ I am so sick of these people who feel the law doesn't apply to them. And, everyone likes to complain about the black community taking welfare benefits: http://www.pressreader.com/usa/the-w...31819/TextView The illegals are taking a lot of the jobs that blacks were doing and in the inner cities, when the job is gone and you don't have money to relocate, the job is GONE!
 
Old 07-22-2015, 03:12 PM
 
288 posts, read 170,286 times
Reputation: 146
My message is "Take your anchor babies and get on the bus, you're goin' home." And, most Americans agree with me: Majority of Americans believe illegal immigrants should be deported - U.S. News and 62% of Americans want U.S. to deport illegals I am so sick of these people who feel the law doesn't apply to them. And, everyone likes to complain about the black community taking welfare benefits: PressReader - Connecting People Through News The illegals are taking a lot of the jobs that blacks were doing and in the inner cities, when the job is gone and you don't have money to relocate, the job is GONE![/quote]


Those "anchor babies" are full fledged american citizens, with all right and responsibilities that the rest of us have, if some people don't respect that, well, too bad ....
 
Old 07-22-2015, 04:18 PM
 
698 posts, read 433,230 times
Reputation: 1899
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Not to mention the lice treatments, the bedbug treatments, the anchor babies, the crime, the dog bites, along with a list of other 3rd world diseases they are dragging into the country.
Anchor babies are American citizens, no different than you and they are eligible for all of the same benefits. I know that upsets the racists and nativists. Anyone that uses that pejorative term to describe a United States citizen is displaying their bigotry and hatred.
 
Old 07-22-2015, 04:23 PM
 
31,888 posts, read 14,685,001 times
Reputation: 8502
[quote=El Arresmillao;40516083]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
After recently evaluating my forum participation here and on other online forums, I have come to the conclusion based on the following article that getting involved in forum debates such as this one are not really helping anything. They just get lost in endless un-winnable debates. We could probably all better spend our energy by getting involved politically in this cause, or participate in some existing grass-roots movement regarding the illegal immigration problems.

I think you are right, the current reality tells us that illegal immigrants are an essential for the economic activity for many different industries in the USA, most posters here are adamant about their wish to eradicate USA of immigrants, despite the fact that legal immigration is a relatively new concept; up until a few decades ago, immigrants showed up to our shores, underwent a little check-up and were stamped good for staying, recently and more convenient for the ones that already immigrated, to enter legally is a big hassle, however, we need cheap labor more than ever, and for that reason illegals will keep on coming...
Illegal aliens are not essential to our country and no we don't need cheap labor. It is only the greedy employers who benefit from them while the taxpayer/workers suffers from loss of jobs, reduced wages and higher taxes to cover the social costs of these illegal aliens. They overcrowd our schools, jails and hospitals and add uncontrolled population growth to our country when our resources are already being spread thin.

Eradicate "immigrants" from the USA? Illegal aliens aren't immigrants and we have no problem with legal immigrants that we can provide jobs and resources for without them becoming a burden to our country. Things have changed since the first immigrants landed on our shores. Why can't you grasp that? We are no longer a wide open frontier, sparsely populated and in need of nation building immigrants. This is so elementary even a 5th grader should be able to understand that.
 
Old 07-22-2015, 04:26 PM
 
31,888 posts, read 14,685,001 times
Reputation: 8502
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Arresmillao View Post
My message is "Take your anchor babies and get on the bus, you're goin' home." And, most Americans agree with me: Majority of Americans believe illegal immigrants should be deported - U.S. News and 62% of Americans want U.S. to deport illegals I am so sick of these people who feel the law doesn't apply to them. And, everyone likes to complain about the black community taking welfare benefits: PressReader - Connecting People Through News The illegals are taking a lot of the jobs that blacks were doing and in the inner cities, when the job is gone and you don't have money to relocate, the job is GONE!

Those "anchor babies" are full fledged american citizens, with all right and responsibilities that the rest of us have, if some people don't respect that, well, too bad ....[/quote]

Not according to our Constitution they aren't. It has merely been a PC practice and that needs to be challenged in court and ended.

Last edited by Oldglory; 07-22-2015 at 04:34 PM..
 
Old 07-22-2015, 04:36 PM
 
698 posts, read 433,230 times
Reputation: 1899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Those "anchor babies" are full fledged american citizens, with all right and responsibilities that the rest of us have, if some people don't respect that, well, too bad ....

Not according to our Constitution they aren't. It has merely been a PC practice and that needs to be challenged in court and ended.
No matter how many times you make this false claim it is still false. By your own admission, no court has ever agreed with this nativist interpretation of the 14th Amendment. The plain language of the amendment and decades of actual governmental action make your claim completely absurd on its face.

You do not have even a single federal court case where a judge has ruled that birthright citizenship is unconstitutional to back you up. There is even less actual legal reasoning and precedent for your patently false claims regarding citizenship than the sovereign citizen idiots with their homemade driver licenses.
 
Old 07-22-2015, 05:13 PM
 
288 posts, read 170,286 times
Reputation: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Those "anchor babies" are full fledged american citizens, with all right and responsibilities that the rest of us have, if some people don't respect that, well, too bad ....
Not according to our Constitution they aren't. It has merely been a PC practice and that needs to be challenged in court and ended.[/quote]

Since you know so much about the constitution, what is a legal U.S. resident according to it ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top