U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 02:15 PM

3 posts, read 10,644 times

Advertisements

I am almost afraid to ask this question at the risk of it being misinterpreted, but is illegal immigration a problem in Vermont? I was born in Vermont, but have lived more than half of my life in North Carolina. There is an enormous illegal problem here. So huge that my husband and I are looking to move out of the state and are considering Vermont as a possibility. The county I live in has one of the highest hispanic populations in the state, and the majority of this population is illegal. The majority of crimes in my area are also being committed by illegals. I am not trying to spark a debate on this forum over illegal immigration. I am not intolerant of people of other races and nationalities and all that jazz. I am just a person that is tired of living in a state that seems ok with letting people that do not legally live in this country suck up all the county and state resources that are meant for people that are here legally. I am hoping no one will judge me unfairly based on this question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 09:55 PM

890 posts, read 2,502,551 times
Yours is an interesting post because there are people moving to places like NC and other southern states to escape the problems that illegals bring. Unfortunately, it seems there is no avoiding this problem, as New England seems to have some issues with illegals, particularly CT. It's a Catch-22 situation because the places with the least number of illegals, or immigrants of any kind, are generally the most economically depressed areas where work is scarce. So that means it's usually not a good place to live for anyone.

Last edited by looking4home; 02-25-2007 at 10:07 PM..

Old 02-26-2007, 12:38 AM

500 posts, read 2,671,600 times
Default The Question Again!!

Geez... not again. The damn question all over the forums... are there illegals here, are there illegals there... I'm not moving here if there are illegals, I'm not moving there if there are illegals... but I'm not racist, listen, don't get my question wrong... I just don't want to live near an illegal Mexican... but I am not prejudiced against anybody... my gosh. It never ends. Always the same discourse.

Well, I think a good answer for this question would be:

Yes, there are PLENTY of illegals in all of America, from Alaska to Hawaii and throughout every one of the 48 contiguous states. So we probably need not ask the question again.

Yes, illegals are annoying, but no, stupid illegals do not necessarily make a place worse for living.

New York City is chock-full of illegals, and we're still the capital of the world and greatesty city on earth. Illegals make our beds, deliver our pizzas and clean our bathrooms. Yes, they should get a green card and speak English, this is America, dammit, but I'm certainly not going to move out because of the one million illegals living in New York. They do not affect my life. If anything, they make it easier (this is not the SoCal Gang Land, you know).

If illegal aliens are what you base your living preference upon, I'm afraid you may have to move out of the United States, or just deal with it.

Let's take it easy, we all.

Last edited by Manhattan-ite; 02-26-2007 at 12:42 AM.. Reason: missing words

Old 02-26-2007, 12:55 AM

500 posts, read 2,671,600 times
If that makes you happy, the Burlington Free Press reported last February 14 that Vermont has fewer illegal Mexicanos than any other state in New England. But in dealing with aliens, Vermont is the toughest state, detaining and deporting more of them than any state around.

I don't want to post links that may break forum rules, but you can find the information at www.burlingtonfreepress.com, and then typing "illegals".

Old 02-26-2007, 06:16 AM

3 posts, read 10,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
Geez... not again. The damn question all over the forums... are there illegals here, are there illegals there... I'm not moving here if there are illegals, I'm not moving there if there are illegals... but I'm not racist, listen, don't get my question wrong... I just don't want to live near an illegal Mexican... but I am not prejudiced against anybody... my gosh. It never ends. Always the same discourse
This is exactly the response I was afraid of when I posted my question. I am not naive enough to think that there are areas in this country where I could get away from illegal immigration. Perhaps my post should have read, how tolerant are Vermonters of illegal immigration? And you did answer that question for me. I never said in my post that I would not move somewhere that illegal immigrants live. I'm just trying to get away from the politics here that seem to prevent anything being done about it. I'm sorry you felt that I should be admonished for posing the question in the first place.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:25 AM

6,739 posts, read 8,539,903 times
They are everywhere, and it's only going to get worse in every state.

Good Luck wherever you decide to move.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:28 AM

1,701 posts, read 5,846,862 times
Illegal Immigration in Vermont? I'm sure it doesn't affect society much other than some folks ignorance. How many illegal immigrants could there really be in ratio to American Citizens? I'm honestly believing people are having a difficult time seeing a couple brown guys on a street corner.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:28 AM

2,967 posts, read 1,652,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliemarie View Post
This is exactly the response I was afraid of when I posted my question. I am not naive enough to think that there are areas in this country where I could get away from illegal immigration. Perhaps my post should have read, how tolerant are Vermonters of illegal immigration? And you did answer that question for me. I never said in my post that I would not move somewhere that illegal immigrants live. I'm just trying to get away from the politics here that seem to prevent anything being done about it. I'm sorry you felt that I should be admonished for posing the question in the first place.
No worries, MOST of us understood you inquiry and did not take offense or believe it had a racist undertone. . It is a valid question.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:59 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,708,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
Geez... not again. The damn question all over the forums... are there illegals here, are there illegals there... I'm not moving here if there are illegals, I'm not moving there if there are illegals... but I'm not racist, listen, don't get my question wrong... I just don't want to live near an illegal Mexican... but I am not prejudiced against anybody... my gosh. It never ends. Always the same discourse.

Well, I think a good answer for this question would be:

Yes, there are PLENTY of illegals in all of America, from Alaska to Hawaii and throughout every one of the 48 contiguous states. So we probably need not ask the question again.

Yes, illegals are annoying, but no, stupid illegals do not necessarily make a place worse for living.

New York City is chock-full of illegals, and we're still the capital of the world and greatesty city on earth. Illegals make our beds, deliver our pizzas and clean our bathrooms. Yes, they should get a green card and speak English, this is America, dammit, but I'm certainly not going to move out because of the one million illegals living in New York. They do not affect my life. If anything, they make it easier (this is not the SoCal Gang Land, you know).

If illegal aliens are what you base your living preference upon, I'm afraid you may have to move out of the United States, or just deal with it.

Let's take it easy, we all.
I am pleased that you live in a city that has experienced positive benefits from having a large illegal alien population. I am glad that they do not affect your life except to make it easier. It sounds like your experiences living in NYC are very different from those of us living in other areas with illegal aliens so please bear with us. It is not unreasonable for people to ask about areas where they are less of a problem. Based on your post, maybe people should consider NYC.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:19 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,708,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliemarie View Post
Your question is fine, that is what the forum is here for. To help people find a location with the qualities they are looking for. My cousins live in northern MA near the border with New Hampshire. I don't know much about Vermont, but I think NH is a fairly safe bet. A fair number of people from MA have moved to NH to escape the problems in MA. The residents of VT and NH tend to be independant thinkers IMO, I don't see the people there prostrating themselves before the Altar of Political Correctness and allowing their states to be despoiled by a massive influx of illegal aliens. Don't forget NH's state motto is 'Live Free Or Die'.
Northern MA is very nice now, but I am not sure how much longer that will last. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or