U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-30-2008, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785

Advertisements

Quote:
Arizona is the epicenter of the national immigration crisis, and Napolitano, the popular border state governor, has navigated through turbulent rhetoric on all sides to calm the debate.

Napolitano signed into law last year the nation’s harshest penalties against employers who hire undocumented workers. While the law is being challenged in court, Napolitano has signed revisions that include protections for businesses that show good-faith efforts to follow the rules.
Yahoo News article (http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20081130/pl_politico/15967;_ylt=AtfakzQq6ygiNzRisobovRX9xg8F - broken link)

That may not bode well for legalization/amnesty under the incoming Obama adminstration.

The cold reality is about 85% of all illegal immigrants are indeed some variety of Hispanic--------regardless of actual race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-30-2008, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Reputation: 6517
This is only evidence of the entitlment mentality. No don't guard the border we have friends and relatives trying to enter. No don't build a fence this will force them to find another way in.
No wonder why so many distrust the latino community. So many within it demand so much more than is whats realistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2008, 03:10 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Second, grass-roots immigrant rights activists have mixed feelings about Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano being the likely nominee to head the Department of Homeland Security.

Arizona is the epicenter of the national immigration crisis, and Napolitano, the popular border state governor, has navigated through turbulent rhetoric on all sides to calm the debate.



Napolitano signed into law last year the nation’s harshest penalties against employers who hire undocumented workers. While the law is being challenged in court, Napolitano has signed revisions that include protections for businesses that show good-faith efforts to follow the rules.
Some immigration advocates think she went too far to the right because of her political need to placate Arizona’s conservative voters.
“Several of us have not forgotten that she was the first to call for the National Guard along the border and called it ‘an emergency,’ and was sending the message that she might be appealing to the more conservative element who wanted to shut down the border,” said Jose Rodriguez, the county attorney in El Paso, Texas.
At the same time, Napolitano is lauded for opposing construction of a border fence and blocking bills that would require local police to arrest illegal immigrants. In an Obama administration, she would have the credibility to negotiate an immigration bill that is tough on employers, enforces border security and includes a compassionate legalization program of those now in the country illegally.
Since Napolitano has a schizophrenic approach to how the illegal immigration disaster should be handled, I get the feeling that the squeaky wheel will get the grease.

I think that would be our side.

Sounds like sour grapes from the latino racists who seem to think that they should hold the majority of the positions in Obama's cabinet. Now if only they would put their alleged "talent" to use in Mexico and other parts of S. America those 3rd world cesspools just may have a chance to become liveable. They could certainly benefit from such an abundance of race driven talent, far more than America ever will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2008, 03:35 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
I don't think La Raza will see another Bush for some time, but they didn't appreciate how much catering Bush did to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2008, 05:15 PM
 
1,003 posts, read 2,251,530 times
Reputation: 669
That's interesting. So, AZ laws enforcing immigration laws are being challenged in court. The law is to enforce the laws against hiring illegals. And this is being challenged? Because people believe they have the right to break the law?

These Mexicans should be so embarrased to be so helpless, so inept, so incapable of helping themselves without going to the white man for help. They breed, and bring babies into the world they are unable to care for without U.S. subsidies. So pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2008, 06:38 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
That's interesting. So, AZ laws enforcing immigration laws are being challenged in court. The law is to enforce the laws against hiring illegals. And this is being challenged? Because people believe they have the right to break the law?

These Mexicans should be so embarrased to be so helpless, so inept, so incapable of helping themselves without going to the white man for help. They breed, and bring babies into the world they are unable to care for without U.S. subsidies. So pathetic.
That's just it. Mexico is actually a wealthy nation, it's dropped down a little from 12th richest to 15th richest nation in the world.

Mexicans are not dying of hunger, not by a long shot. They're second to the USA in obesity rates -- and gaining fast.

Most illegals had jobs that they quit to cross the border illegally. They were not on the edge of starvation, nor were the children they've left behind. Some obviously are poor and uneducated but if they had made the decision to finish their education, delay the start of childbearing until after they finished their education, obtained job skills and a job and marriage, then they would have no reason at all to leave. They are taking the easy way out instead of insisting on reforms that might benefit their nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2008, 06:48 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's just it. Mexico is actually a wealthy nation, it's dropped down a little from 12th richest to 15th richest nation in the world.

Mexicans are not dying of hunger, not by a long shot. They're second to the USA in obesity rates -- and gaining fast.

Most illegals had jobs that they quit to cross the border illegally. They were not on the edge of starvation, nor were the children they've left behind. Some obviously are poor and uneducated but if they had made the decision to finish their education, delay the start of childbearing until after they finished their education, obtained job skills and a job and marriage, then they would have no reason at all to leave. They are taking the easy way out instead of insisting on reforms that might benefit their nation.
Agreed. The majority of the (sob) stories I have read never states that there are no jobs in Mexico. What they do say is that the wages are low and they can make so much more money in the US.

Essentially it is a combination of lack of education or license obtainable skill sets. That and greed combined pushes them here to undercut Americans while providing cheap labor.

The housing boom has generated a multitude of articles and stories about unhappy home owners who prior to construction of their new subdivisions thought they got such a wonderful deal. What they moved into turned out to be expensive, poorly constructed, housing whose quality was far below US code. The accumulation of agony and ongoing legal bills in pursuit of the builders' negligence pales in comparison to any "deal" they thought they were getting from the builder.

As for illegal aliens, they may work longer hours but the end results have become the new homeowners, expensive, and sometimes deadly nightmare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2008, 06:57 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Agreed. The majority of the (sob) stories I have read never states that there are no jobs in Mexico. What they do say is that the wages are low and they can make so much more money in the US.

Essentially it is a combination of lack of education or license obtainable skill sets. That and greed combined pushes them here to undercut Americans while providing cheap labor.

The housing boom has generated a multitude of articles and stories about unhappy home owners who prior to construction of their new subdivisions thought they got such a wonderful deal. What they moved into turned out to be expensive, poorly constructed, housing whose quality was far below US code. The accumulation of agony and ongoing legal bills in pursuit of the builders' negligence pales in comparison to any "deal" they thought they were getting from the builder.

As for illegal aliens, they may work longer hours but the end results have become the new homeowners, expensive, and sometimes deadly nightmare.
Mexico consistently has lower unemployment statistics than does the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2008, 07:53 PM
 
1,003 posts, read 2,251,530 times
Reputation: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Mexico consistently has lower unemployment statistics than does the USA.
....because they are all coming here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2008, 08:56 PM
 
Location: Surprise, Az
3,496 posts, read 8,343,093 times
Reputation: 1832
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Yahoo News article (http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20081130/pl_politico/15967;_ylt=AtfakzQq6ygiNzRisobovRX9xg8F - broken link)

That may not bode well for legalization/amnesty under the incoming Obama adminstration.

The cold reality is about 85% of all illegal immigrants are indeed some variety of Hispanic--------regardless of actual race.
Did you forget that she cut Sheriff Joe's funding for his illegal round ups?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top