Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 10:40 PM

387 posts, read 677,546 times

Advertisements

limited government, individual freedom, and laissez-faire economics?

Just wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 07:29 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
A person does not have the individual freedom to break the law. By making a national database available, the likelyhood of accidentally hiring a person who has no right to work in the US will be substantially decreased. Kinda like how employers already use criminal background checks and drug testing prior to hiring. Just because this will weed out people who again - have no legal right to work in the US - does not make it 'bad' or 'big government'.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:51 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
A person does not have the individual freedom to break the law. By making a national database available, the likelyhood of accidentally hiring a person who has no right to work in the US will be substantially decreased. Kinda like how employers already use criminal background checks and drug testing prior to hiring. Just because this will weed out people who again - have no legal right to work in the US - does not make it 'bad' or 'big government'.
Agreed. It would also make it possible to hold employers even more accountable for questionable hireing practices. It removes yet another excuse. I am all for it.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I would agree with you if the drug tests were mandated by the federal government for all employers.

The argument that "everyone gets searched, if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about", is generally not one associated with limited government and individual responsibility.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:44 AM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncing View Post
limited government, individual freedom, and laissez-faire economics?

Just wondering.
Actions against Aiding and Abetting Common Criminals is the responsibility of Our Government.

Would anyone feel otherwise if they were the competition doing their absolute best to honor and respect our laws?

Old 12-01-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Actions against Aiding and Abetting Common Criminals is the responsibility of Our Government.

Would anyone feel otherwise if they were the competition doing their absolute best to honor and respect our laws?
Alright, so to take it to another level, would you invite law enforcement into your home every week for an inspection, provided the resources were available?

I'm just astonished that the "leave me alone" Republican party is willing to support a government database of every person in the country, which is checked every time you seek employment.

"Don't make me register my gun, but register my fingerprints? Sure!" -- seems inconsistent.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:51 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,338,840 times
Quote:
I would agree with you if the drug tests were mandated by the federal government for all employers.

The argument that "everyone gets searched, if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about", is generally not one associated with limited government and individual responsibility.

Drug testing is required in all federal jobs except one.

Answer - politicians in all levels

Actually think you can add judges to that however not sure while politicians I am sure no drug testing required.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
Drug testing is required in all federal jobs except one.

Answer - politicians in all levels

Actually think you can add judges to that however not sure while politicians I am sure no drug testing required.
If the immigration check were only for federal jobs, the comparison would be fair. I'm talking about the new laws to require all employers -- from banks to farmers -- to check the database.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:59 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Agreed. It would also make it possible to hold employers even more accountable for questionable hireing practices. It removes yet another excuse. I am all for it.
I have to agree with you and this was my first thought too.If they have the database available and then fail to do what is required then the burden rests squarely on the shoulders of the employer.I understand also where bouncing is coming from too,although I have never been a drug user of any kind I still feel as if my rights are violated by having to take a pre employment or random drug test.I do not however see where these two meet,one is of national interest and keeps SOME of the illegals out of our country while the other snags an occasional weed smoker who bothers nobody but him/herself....and laughs a lot at inappropiate times.Major difference imo

Old 12-01-2008, 11:01 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Alright, so to take it to another level, would you invite law enforcement into your home every week for an inspection, provided the resources were available?

I'm just astonished that the "leave me alone" Republican party is willing to support a government database of every person in the country, which is checked every time you seek employment.

"Don't make me register my gun, but register my fingerprints? Sure!" -- seems inconsistent.
Conversly the left would require at a minimum registration of all fire arms and with an ultimate goal of a ban on all private ownership.
And yet they would not want to see a data base in place. A data base is no more intrusive than a national ID card which is what a passport is.
The bottom line is too many illegals are taking advantage of weak enforcement. We are required to pay taxes, take part in the census. This is not a big stretch. Every US serviceman has been finger printed. If its fair for those willing to die for their country it should be fair for all others.
I support the data base 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration