U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 03:35 PM

13,387 posts, read 9,632,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Maybe it's a few posters doing it repeatedly. Most of the time, people are unwilling to stand up against those on "their side" and say something about it. Many go along with it.
Maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 03:47 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,134,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Maybe?
Why don't you aspire for more than trolling, MK? I'm sure you are capable of discussion.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:52 PM

15,181 posts, read 9,975,556 times
Quote:
Maybe it's a few posters doing it repeatedly. Most of the time, people are unwilling to stand up against those on "their side" and say something about it. Many go along with it.
I have never been one to follow the crowd. I stand by my convictions, and have no problem admonishing blatant racism or mistreatment. There are also many other regular posters who do the same. Camping! castigated a poster earlier for vilifying Jews. JDubs concurred, and so did I.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I have never been one to follow the crowd. I stand by my convictions, and have no problem admonishing blatant racism or mistreatment. There are also many other regular posters who do the same. Camping! castigated a poster earlier for vilifying Jews. JDubs concurred, and so did I.
Jews aren't Latinos..most of the time.

Not that I'd accuse Camping! of vilifying Latinos from anything I can think of right now.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Jews aren't Latinos..most of the time.
Oh, so only Latinos are worthy of respect?

Old 12-03-2008, 03:57 PM

19,936 posts, read 11,018,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
This forum is notorious for it...
What this forum is notorious for is no matter how many times posters call out that they are against all illegals someone turns it into a anti-illegal = anti hispanic argument.
No matter how many times that its called out that the greater focus is on hispanic illegals because they constitute the greatest number of illegals thats called being racist.
Its not being anti-hispanic to focus on the facts. Fact the largest share of illegals are hispanic. Where do they come from? South of the border. They cross our southern border with Mexico to enter. But when ever someone calls out beefing up the border security they are called a racist. Add to this the fact that the Government of Mexico has made a point to distribute how to manuals for crossing illegally. This in turn causes a great deal of animosity towards the mexican Gov.
No I do feel hispanic citizens are bad folks. Not as a whole. But there are individuals that facilitate illegals after they arrive. How is this done?
1. By remaining silent. Even when the illegal is a thug.
2. By sheltering.
3. By taking part in rally's trying to advocate and justify an illegals right to be here.
These actions only fuel animosity towards the hispanic community. Is it fair that the community as a whole is painted with the broad brush? Not entirely but it is understandable given the lack of community outrage towards those who abuse our immigration system.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Oh, so only Latinos are worthy of respect?
You're putting words in my mouth. By that I mean one doesn't have to hate all minorities to have some prejudice against one.

Why would you even accuse me of saying that?

Old 12-03-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
What this forum is notorious for is no matter how many times posters call out that they are against all illegals someone turns it into a anti-illegal = anti hispanic argument.
No matter how many times that its called out that the greater focus is on hispanic illegals because they constitute the greatest number of illegals thats called being racist.
Its not being anti-hispanic to focus on the facts. Fact the largest share of illegals are hispanic. Where do they come from? South of the border. They cross our southern border with Mexico to enter. But when ever someone calls out beefing up the border security they are called a racist. Add to this the fact that the Government of Mexico has made a point to distribute how to manuals for crossing illegally. This in turn causes a great deal of animosity towards the mexican Gov.
No I do feel hispanic citizens are bad folks. Not as a whole. But there are individuals that facilitate illegals after they arrive. How is this done?
2. By sheltering.
3. By taking part in rally's trying to advocate and justify an illegals right to be here.
These actions only fuel animosity towards the hispanic community. Is it fair that the community as a whole is painted with the broad brush? Not entirely but it is understandable given the lack of community outrage towards those who abuse our immigration system.
Thank you!

Old 12-03-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
You're putting words in my mouth. By that I mean one doesn't have to hate all minorities to have some prejudice against one.

Why would you even accuse me of saying that?
Because you stated Jews aren't Latinos, as though only Latinos are victims of racism.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:03 PM

7,020 posts, read 6,973,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
2. By sheltering.
I couldn't agree more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration