Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 12:01 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,493,690 times

Advertisements

They always manage to circumvent our laws. Why don’t they use some of their resourcefulness and fortitude to survive in their countries of origin? Oh, I keep forgetting, they can’t use their children to get freebies at home.

Quote:
PHOENIX (AP) - Illegal immigrants fired because of Arizona's employer-sanctions law are finding ways to circumvent the system by working for cash or using other people's identities to land jobs.

The maneuvering allows many illegal immigrants and their families to stay in the United States despite the heightened enforcement of immigration laws and the struggling economy.

Gabino, a 37-year-old Phoenix resident who asked that his last name not be used for fear of being deported, is among the illegal immigrants who have shifted from the traditional economy to the underground one.

"It forced us to do a lot more stuff underhanded to survive," Gabino said.
KVOA News 4, Tucson, Arizona - Illegal immigrants turn to underground economy (http://www.kvoa.com/global/story.asp?s=9437563 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 01:30 PM

50,060 posts, read 46,587,189 times
The illegal economy has always existed. It's called day labor and you can see it at any Home Depot parking lot in the Country.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:48 PM

387 posts, read 675,471 times
It's basic economics at work. You prohibit something, that something goes underground. It happens with labor just like it happened with alcohol or the sex trade.

There is a buyer, there is a seller. The government can increase cost by getting in the way, but it can't stop the transaction.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:57 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,598,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The illegal economy has always existed. It's called day labor and you can see it at any Home Depot parking lot in the Country.
Exactly! Just what is new about illegals working for cash under the table and/or stealing ssns? That is nothing new, and certainly hasn't just sprung up since AZ enacted tougher employer laws.

Oh, wait -- thats right, the media thinks we are idiots that can be spoon fed social dogma. Illegals are good for the economy and only break laws when it benefits them, er, I mean only when they are forced to. Luckily the tide is turning against our previous laissez-faire attitude towards illegals. I wonder when the press will catch on?

Old 12-02-2008, 03:18 PM

50,060 posts, read 46,587,189 times
There are entire Illegal communities in many Cities that transact completely among their own. What they do that impacts the tax payers is the drain of social services in conjunction with their illegal communities. It's one thing to just exist and another to take money out of the US economy all the while not paying taxes and using tax payer paid social services to boot.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:02 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,097,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Come to Western PA, Eastern OH, and WV and we don't have that problem. Probably shouldn't speak up before they hear that and come here

Old 12-02-2008, 06:19 PM

21,144 posts, read 41,996,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncing View Post
It's basic economics at work. You prohibit something, that something goes underground. It happens with labor just like it happened with alcohol or the sex trade.

There is a buyer, there is a seller. The government can increase cost by getting in the way, but it can't stop the transaction.
Maybe not stop it but law enforcement will definitely slow the underground economy down where illegals are involved.

Using the alcohol analogy: the strict DUI laws here in Arizona are one huge reason far fewer people drink and drive.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:50 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,493,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Come to Western PA, Eastern OH, and WV and we don't have that problem. Probably shouldn't speak up before they hear that and come here
I can certainly attest to the lack of illegals hanging around Home Depots in Western PA. I'm originally from a small town near Pittsburgh, and visited with relatives recently. It was so heavenly I kept expecting to hear harps playing.

I refuse to patronize Home Depot in the DC area due to the hordes of illegals hanging around the parking lots. Two illegals had the gall to follow me to my car the last time I shopped there. When I told them I didn’t need their help, they just stood there and refused to leave. Women shouldn’t have to encounter such menacing behavior while leaving a store. I recently spent a bundle on appliances and home improvement materials, and sent a nice letter to Home Depot explaining why I spent my money at Lowe’s.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:00 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,856,080 times
home depot has a targeted hispanic hiring program with the national council of la raza.

of course their association with day laborers bit them on the butt when the Los Angeles City Council unanimously approved an ordinance requiring them to develop plans for dealing with day laborers who congregate nearby in search of jobs.

The ordinance mandates that proposed big-box stores obtain conditional-use permits, which would then require them to build day-labor centers with shelter, drinking water, bathrooms and trash cans.

Last edited by floridasandy; 12-02-2008 at 07:16 PM..

Old 12-02-2008, 07:39 PM

387 posts, read 675,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Maybe not stop it but law enforcement will definitely slow the underground economy down where illegals are involved.

Using the alcohol analogy: the strict DUI laws here in Arizona are one huge reason far fewer people drink and drive.
Marginally, yes. But I don't think there will be a meaningful reduction in illegal immigration as long as the labor markets are so lop-sided.

A DUI analogy isn't a good one, because there is no market incentive for drunk driving.

Law enforcement only works when law-breakers represent a tiny minority. The vast majority of all businesses use some kind of illegal labor, so short of a police state, you can't enforce a law against it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration