U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-27-2007, 12:12 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
1,459 posts, read 4,041,549 times
Reputation: 876

Advertisements

Sure would be nice if all Police Depts. could get training to enforce immigration laws.



http://kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=6145702 (broken link)

 
Old 02-27-2007, 01:19 AM
 
340 posts, read 669,477 times
Reputation: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
Sure would be nice if all Police Depts. could get training to enforce immigration laws.



http://kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=6145702 (broken link)

YES !!!!!

Wouldn't that be the great American thing to do !!!!!

Unfortunately there are too many like the "Boy" who are in charge...
 
Old 02-27-2007, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
1,459 posts, read 4,041,549 times
Reputation: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dir Drill 1 View Post
YES !!!!!

Wouldn't that be the great American thing to do !!!!!

Unfortunately there are too many like the "Boy" who are in charge...

You got that right, until we vote these criminal sympathizers out of office nothing will change.
 
Old 02-27-2007, 03:01 PM
 
340 posts, read 669,477 times
Reputation: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
You got that right, until we vote these criminal sympathizers out of office nothing will change.
Yes, definitely....

We thought we had that here with Arnold getting voted in, but voila, he did a back flip and apparently caved to political pressure from the Illegal lovers that we have so many of here...

Apparently certain laws are OK to break by certain people, but by God don't you or I break one...
 
Old 03-01-2007, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Central Jersey - Florida
3,314 posts, read 12,260,185 times
Reputation: 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
Sure would be nice if all Police Depts. could get training to enforce immigration laws.



http://kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=6145702 (broken link)
It has been debated nationwide and in a perfect world it would be a great idea but there is a "however". Are you as a local taxpayer that resides in a city that has a large population of illegals going to foot the bill for the extra police officers you will need, additional courts and additional jails to deal with these people, (not to mention lawsuits which are very common here in New Jersey). When most people hear that side of the arguement they defer to the federal govenment to handle it. It's sad but true! One of my remedies would be to start with the elimination of "anchor baby status". Illegals know if they can birth a baby in the U.S. they are golden. I believe if your an illegal alien in the U.S. and have a baby here the baby should be the nationality of where the parents are citizens or wherever else the parents want to take them to try and become citizens but not here. Bottom line it's an entitlement that we all eventually pay for with no benefit to us. Just my two cents.
 
Old 03-01-2007, 01:10 PM
 
340 posts, read 669,477 times
Reputation: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
It has been debated nationwide and in a perfect world it would be a great idea but there is a "however". Are you as a local taxpayer that resides in a city that has a large population of illegals going to foot the bill for the extra police officers you will need, additional courts and additional jails to deal with these people, (not to mention lawsuits which are very common here in New Jersey). When most people hear that side of the arguement they defer to the federal govenment to handle it. It's sad but true! One of my remedies would be to start with the elimination of "anchor baby status". Illegals know if they can birth a baby in the U.S. they are golden. I believe if your an illegal alien in the U.S. and have a baby here the baby should be the nationality of where the parents are citizens or wherever else the parents want to take them to try and become citizens but not here. Bottom line it's an entitlement that we all eventually pay for with no benefit to us. Just my two cents.
I think that the cost savings of getting the burden of the Illegals lifted off of the taxpayers would offset at least a good percentage of the increased burden of enforcement. (At least in cities with very heavy Illegal Immigration). As far as courts and jails go, I have arrested plenty of Illegals in my city (just for being Illegal) and the BP bus (or van depending on the # of Illegals) would come straight to our station when called and take them straight to the border. There was never a legal proceeding, court involvement, etc.. Not to say that wouldn't happen today though...

Now, that being said.... You are absolutely right that the anchor baby is a HUGE problem, as is keeping them on their side of the border once you return them... The border would have to be much more secure before any major efforts were made to start deporting, and we all know how fast that is happeneing, even though Americans overwhelmingly asked for it... Some things never change...
 
Old 03-01-2007, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
1,459 posts, read 4,041,549 times
Reputation: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
It has been debated nationwide and in a perfect world it would be a great idea but there is a "however". Are you as a local taxpayer that resides in a city that has a large population of illegals going to foot the bill for the extra police officers you will need, additional courts and additional jails to deal with these people, (not to mention lawsuits which are very common here in New Jersey). When most people hear that side of the arguement they defer to the federal govenment to handle it. It's sad but true! One of my remedies would be to start with the elimination of "anchor baby status". Illegals know if they can birth a baby in the U.S. they are golden. I believe if your an illegal alien in the U.S. and have a baby here the baby should be the nationality of where the parents are citizens or wherever else the parents want to take them to try and become citizens but not here. Bottom line it's an entitlement that we all eventually pay for with no benefit to us. Just my two cents.

I'm 100% with you on the anchor baby status, it's a major problem and the laws need changed on that. I'm all for paying a higher tax for more police officers and more jails, we need them anyway. By cutting free services off for the illegals would save $billions, some of this money could be used for services in deporting illegals. As Dir Drill 1 said, we would need a more secure border.
 
Old 03-02-2007, 08:03 AM
 
Location: Central Jersey - Florida
3,314 posts, read 12,260,185 times
Reputation: 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dir Drill 1 View Post
I think that the cost savings of getting the burden of the Illegals lifted off of the taxpayers would offset at least a good percentage of the increased burden of enforcement. (At least in cities with very heavy Illegal Immigration). As far as courts and jails go, I have arrested plenty of Illegals in my city (just for being Illegal) and the BP bus (or van depending on the # of Illegals) would come straight to our station when called and take them straight to the border. There was never a legal proceeding, court involvement, etc.. Not to say that wouldn't happen today though...

Now, that being said.... You are absolutely right that the anchor baby is a HUGE problem, as is keeping them on their side of the border once you return them... The border would have to be much more secure before any major efforts were made to start deporting, and we all know how fast that is happeneing, even though Americans overwhelmingly asked for it... Some things never change...
Just curious. I've been in law enforcement for 30 years. Are you a federal agent? If not what statute do you hold an illegal alien on (other than violations of criminal law). Are there special considerations (laws) for illegals in your state. Are you able to stop someone, ask for documentation and if it can't be given detain the person and hand them off to immigration agents for deportation. Like I said I'm curious because that's not the case in my state.
 
Old 03-02-2007, 08:21 AM
 
340 posts, read 669,477 times
Reputation: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Just curious. I've been in law enforcement for 30 years. Are you a federal agent? If not what statute do you hold an illegal alien on (other than violations of criminal law). Are there special considerations (laws) for illegals in your state. Are you able to stop someone, ask for documentation and if it can't be given detain the person and hand them off to immigration agents for deportation. Like I said I'm curious because that's not the case in my state.
I am a retired city police officer. The contacts were always based on criminal activity, and if it was a misdemeanor (Typically 647(f) P.C.) and there were enough individuals to make it worth it (Parties usually) then instead of charging them with 647(f) PC, I would do an 8-hour DeTox hold, and let the BP know when they would be ready for release.. I know it's only a handful at a time, but better than nothing, and completely legal without any court involvement..
 
Old 03-02-2007, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Central Jersey - Florida
3,314 posts, read 12,260,185 times
Reputation: 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dir Drill 1 View Post
I am a retired city police officer. The contacts were always based on criminal activity, and if it was a misdemeanor (Typically 647(f) P.C.) and there were enough individuals to make it worth it (Parties usually) then instead of charging them with 647(f) PC, I would do an 8-hour DeTox hold, and let the BP know when they would be ready for release.. I know it's only a handful at a time, but better than nothing, and completely legal without any court involvement..
O.K. I got you. Here in New Jersey we have frequent contact with illegals. Years ago we would contact immigrations and see if they wanted to come and scoop these people and the reply was always "no thank you, we have enough to take care of". If they weren't involved in anything criminal it was basically adios. I think many people don't realize how frustrating a job it is for a law enforcement officer that deals with illegals on a daily basis and has no jurisdictional power over them. Anyway congratulations on your retirement. I'm real short as well, I've done all the protecting and serving I can handle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top