Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do illegal aliens have it better in this country than American citizens?
Yes, they are allowed to do everything they want without fear of consequences. Get benefits we don't get. 45 67.16%
No. Being in here illegally, they are always at risk of deportation or arrest. They live in poverty with a lower quality of life than Americans. 18 26.87%
I don't know. 4 5.97%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 10:21 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,737,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
No, I'm not kidding. I was surprised to find out that I could get free health-care at any of the many "free" clinics that the government funds in the US. Technically you have to be below a certian income, but they will not turn away anyone who needs help and they are funded by the government.

And, if you have too many medical bills the US has bankruptcy protection laws. This means that if you have a 200K medical bill that you cannot pay, you can get rid of the debt by filing bankruptcy. This may damage your credit etc, but it means that you got healthcare and you didn't have to pay for it.

This sounds "free". In other countries if you don't pay your debts, you go to jail. If you can't afford a doctor, you die.
My parents raised me to be responsible.

I incurred debt. I am responsible for that debt.

If I file bankruptcy to avoid paying the debt that I am responsible for, than I am no better than those who steal services that they likely can afford to pay for but don't because they feel no sense of responsibility for their actions--kinda like, um....illegal aliens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 11:35 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,391,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
My parents raised me to be responsible.

I incurred debt. I am responsible for that debt.

If I file bankruptcy to avoid paying the debt that I am responsible for, than I am no better than those who steal services that they likely can afford to pay for but don't because they feel no sense of responsibility for their actions--kinda like, um....illegal aliens.
I couldn't agree more. Irresponsible, self absorbed behavior is what has this country in its current state of collapse now.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:23 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,071,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
I couldn't agree more. Irresponsible, self absorbed behavior is what has this country in its current state of collapse now.
As you stated.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:30 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,647,519 times
sorry to break it to you, but illegals are less likely to go to the ER or hospital than most people. and if they go, it is only in dire emergencies. a headache wont land an illegal in the hospital. thats just laughable. thanks.
these people prefer to go to herbalist, back rubbers and other non-traditional doctors. the idea that they go for minor problems is an outdated myth.

as for the scenario on wages. illegals who get paid under the table, run the risk of getting stiffed or injured without and safety nets. ive done research with the day laborer population and the biggest problem they faced was not getting paid. the other major problem was gettin hurt and the "boss" taking them back to where they were picked up (not to the hospital).

it sucks. its not as glamourous as you think. but at the same time, if you move to the mountains dont complain about the bears.

i do agree with you on one thing tho, the money that they send might serve us here better during these economic times.
but the reality is that, for some, the point of coming here is to help out their family back home, and i would rather they send 100 bucks amonth to their family over seas, than have the the whole family come here. let them send some money to build a house to go back to. let them keep the family recieving money over there. i wish the money stayed i n the local economy, but if it did, they might consider coming here for that same money.

it is pretty complicated. but all in all. illegals do not have it better than citizens. might they have it better than legals? good question.

some might, some might not.

as for seeing the effects of immigration, illegal or otherwise. I see it. i live among them. i travel among them. this is LOS ANGELES! i see what "illegals" can do, and i am more worried about the rapists and thugs and gangbangers and drug dealers. they are the bad guys. being here legally does not make them any less of a bad guy.

anyhow. your life cant be that bad. we get to spend hours on these forums. some of you spend days angrily tip tapping away at your keyboard. others love to complain about illegals, whom you have admitted are not even in your neighborhoods. its just funny how much complaining goes on here. whining about these phantom illegals. and then yall think they have it better than you. trully funny.

i know they dont have it better than me. some might, but i doubt it.
i have a home. i have a career. i have a family. i have health insurance. i have reliable transportation. i have peace of mind.
how many illegals can count those as there blessings.

sadly not all my fellow US citizens can count those as their blessings either. thats a true bigger travesty.

and to be wuite honest thats not the fault of the illegals. we have had illegals and HORDES of immigrants in this country since its inception.
the culprit of our economic problems hides elswhere. the illegals are only a small part. but we do need scapegoats. they fit the bill. we need them. just like hitler needed the jews.

Quote:
Well, let's see.

You have an American citizen making $10.00 per hour. He is only allowed 40 hours a week because his boss doesn't want to give him overtime pay. He pays income tax, Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid, perhaps personal insurance....if he's lucky, his weekly paycheck may top out at about $300. His wife works 40 hours a week also and if neither of them have degrees, their combined income per week is around $400 to $500 because her paycheck has to cover the daycare costs for their 2.2 children (about $100 per child per week). They are forced to rent because they can't save enough for a downpayment on a house, what with their vehicle costs, insurance, utilities, diapers, food, little Suzie's asthma medication, etc.

On the other hand, you have an illegal alien. Say he's working in construction and making $8.00 an hour cash money under the table. He works ten hours a day and five to six days a week and makes between $400 and $500 per week. He pays no taxes, yet if he gets so much as a head cold, he's in the local ER being treated for free, courtesy of the tax dollars of the same hard-working ****** described above. He's rooming with 4 or 5 of his buddies, they all pitch in about $200 per month for rent, maybe another $100 or so for utilities and he's sending a nice big chunk of change OUT of the U.S. economy every month to his HOME country. He's not worried about deportation because he knows enforcement is a big joke.

Who is better off?

It's not too difficult to figure out.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:23 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,920,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Check this video out!

Video: Fred Thompson on the Economy : Stop The ACLU

Old 12-04-2008, 02:29 PM

Sorry to disappoint you, but ER abuse by non-paying illegal immigrants is costing tax paying citizens close to a billion dollars a year, nationwide.

Quote:
In June 2007, an article in the Washington Post concluded that emergency-room care "is on the verge of collapse." From 1993 to 2003, the newspaper reported, the American population grew 12 percent, but emergency room visits grew 27 percent. "In that same period, however, 425 emergency departments closed, along with about 700 hospitals and nearly 200,000 beds." As well, in 2003, ambulances were diverted from emergency rooms 501,000 times because the emergency rooms were full. But the article doesn't mention that much of this care is for routine, non-emergency illnesses. Nor does it mention a main cause in the crisis: uninsured illegal immigrants. Such an omission is surprising, given the news just one month earlier, reported in the New York Times and other papers: the Bush administration announced in May that it would send $1 billion to hospitals to pay for the care of illegal immigrants.
ER overload: a survey of the research available shows that uninsured illegal immigrants are an imponderable burden in our nation's hospitals, in particular emergency rooms | New American, The | Find Articles at BNET

Before you go spouting off opinion, you should most certainly look into fact.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:37 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,528,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
sorry to break it to you, but illegals are less likely to go to the ER or hospital than most people. and if they go, it is only in dire emergencies. a headache wont land an illegal in the hospital. thats just laughable. thanks. these people prefer to go to herbalist, back rubbers and other non-traditional doctors. the idea that they go for minor problems is an outdated myth.
Surely you jest.

Quote:
Many California hospitals cannot afford to absorb costs and many are forced to close due to financial mandates for treating illegal immigrants. As recently reported, 84 California hospitals are closing their doors forever. Hospital closure degrades health care to all in the community and results in job losses.
High Cost of Medical Care for Illegal Immigrants

Quote:
NORTH COUNTY ---- A state report quietly released last spring shows illegal immigrants made up the largest single group of those giving birth at taxpayer expense in the state and in San Diego County in 2004.

The May report, "Medi-Cal Funded Deliveries," states that of the 14,350 taxpayer-funded births in the county that year, 5,814, or 40.5 percent, were to illegal immigrants. That is an 18 percent increase over the 4,916 Medi-Cal-funded deliveries to illegal immigrants in San Diego County in 2001, as shown in an earlier state report.
Report: 40 percent of county's Medi-Cal births to illegal immigrants{By: Will Bennett} (http://www.house.gov/list/speech/ca50_bilbray/07012007.html - broken link)

Quote:
A large majority of the Emergency Medicaid expenditures in North Carolina are for childbirth and complications of pregnancy for patients who are undocumented immigrants, although spending for undocumented elderly and disabled patients is increasing at a faster rate, according to a study in the March 14 issue of JAMA, a theme issue on access to care.
Pregnancy Complications Account For Majority Of Emergency Medicaid Spending For Undocumented Immigrants

Quote:
Martin Memorial Medical Center in Stuart Florida is indicative of 51 other Florida community hospitals who are also financially struggling or failing and who are facing bankruptcy due to the high cost of treating illegal immigrants (and paying ludicrous illegal alien lawsuit financial settlements) - that vast majority of which never pay for the medical treatment they or their family receives.
TheOPINIONATOR: ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION BREAKS THE BACK OF FLORIDA HOSPITAL(S)

Old 12-04-2008, 02:49 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,647,519 times
im not saying they dont cost us anything. im saying that when they go to the ER, its for very good reasons. not a mere sneeze or headache like you would want people to believe.

and if you have a problem with medical access by illegals then take that up with the apporpriate individuals instead of spreading lies.
going to the ER for a hadache! laughable!

better luck next time.

Quote:
Sorry to disappoint you, but ER abuse by non-paying illegal immigrants is costing tax paying citizens close to a billion dollars a year, nationwide.

ER overload: a survey of the research available shows that uninsured illegal immigrants are an imponderable burden in our nation's hospitals, in particular emergency rooms | New American, The | Find Articles at BNET

Before you go spouting off opinion, you should most certainly look into fact.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
im not saying they dont cost us anything. im saying that when they go to the ER, its for very good reasons. not a mere sneeze or headache like you would want people to believe.

and if you have a problem with medical access by illegals then take that up with the apporpriate individuals instead of spreading lies.
going to the ER for a hadache! laughable!

better luck next time.
What's laughable is the ignorance displayed by the ostrich-like behavior of some people in this forum even when the contrary evidence is staring them right in the face!

Oh well, better luck next time!

Old 12-04-2008, 03:07 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,394,420 times
Quote:
What's laughable is the ignorance displayed by the ostrich-like behavior of some people in this forum even when the contrary evidence is staring them right in the face!

Oh well, better luck next time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration