Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 02:04 AM

956 posts, read 3,001,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kele View Post
yeah, they kind of affect that common sense module in the brain, don't they?
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 08:49 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,554,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Exactly communicable diseases.

My point is, does it really have to be them coming to us, and not us going to them?

I'm speaking about the massive traffic between countries with so many Americans going to Mexican for tourism, business, or visiting.

All the Americans that have family in Mexico.

All the products we get from Mexico.

We, as a country, are very much connected with Mexico.

Think about all the border towns that has people crossing to both sides on a daily basis.
San Diego-Tijuana, El Centro-Mexicali, Yuma-Algodones, El Paso-Ciudad Juarez, Brownsville, etc.
Why do you have such a compelling need to deny any and every problem illegal immigration poses to the citizens of this country? No one is suggesting ALL formally eradicated diseases that are now resurfacing can be attributed solely to illegal aliens from Mexico. However, common sense dictates that having millions of unscreened illegals from a third-world country would in fact be detrimental.

Furthermore, Mexicans are not the only illegals entering this country unscreened for disease. We have no idea how many contagious illegals (from numerous countries) are picking our crops, preparing our food, changing our hotel linen, etc. Why not stop being so defensive due to your connection to Mexico, and simply acknowledge the problem.

I don’t care if contagious illegals are Chinese, Haitian, Middle-Eastern, European, or Martian; they’re a threat to the citizens of this country. I would think that every American would be concerned. It’s sad that your ethnicity is paramount above all else.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:00 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,747,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Why do you have such a compelling need to deny any and every problem illegal immigration poses to the citizens of this country? No one is suggesting ALL formally eradicated diseases that are now resurfacing can be attributed solely to illegal aliens from Mexico. However, common sense dictates that having millions of unscreened illegals from a third-world country would in fact be detrimental.

Furthermore, Mexicans are not the only illegals entering this country unscreened for disease. We have no idea how many contagious illegals (from numerous countries) are picking our crops, preparing our food, changing our hotel linen, etc. Why not stop being so defensive due to your connection to Mexico, and simply acknowledge the problem.

I don’t care if contagious illegals are Chinese, Haitian, Middle-Eastern, European, or Martian; they’re a threat to the citizens of this country. I would think that every American would be concerned. It’s sad that your ethnicity is paramount above all else.
Excellent post. It's unfortunate that your eloquent words are spinning off into a vacuum though....

Old 12-06-2008, 09:02 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Excellent post. It's unfortunate that your eloquent words are spinning off into a vacuum though....
As both of you stated.

More and more: I have to agree with the Moderators; Don't feed the Trolls.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:35 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Exactly communicable diseases.

My point is, does it really have to be them coming to us, and not us going to them?

I'm speaking about the massive traffic between countries with so many Americans going to Mexican for tourism, business, or visiting.

All the Americans that have family in Mexico.

All the products we get from Mexico.

We, as a country, are very much connected with Mexico.

Think about all the border towns that has people crossing to both sides on a daily basis.
San Diego-Tijuana, El Centro-Mexicali, Yuma-Algodones, El Paso-Ciudad Juarez, Brownsville, etc.
Either you are chosing to ignore the point or you are just missing the point. When illegals cross we have ncept the risko safety net. They are forcing us to accept the risk that they might be a carrier of diseases.
Conversly even if an american were dumb enough to travel abroad without taking the justified precautions then that american had a choice in the matter. I have traveled all over Asia. I have had my shots and always check to see if any new ones are required. Illegals simply don't care...... Just like they don't care about things like laws, a nations rights or about the children they might infect along the way.
Antialphabet there is simply no way to justify an illegals complete disregard of our laws.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:45 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,285,410 times
Man, you guys are pretty bad.
You are completely unable to consider any other ideas, and get offended by the suggestion that it doesn't have to be illegals doing everything wrong in this country.

It's not like it was even presented it in an argumentative way, just gave you guys something to consider. But you can't reason with an angry mob with pitchforks.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
As both of you stated.

More and more: I have to agree with the Moderators; Don't feed the Trolls.
Speaking of which,
Quote:
Leave moderating to the mods - labeling someone as a troll just because you disagree stops now. Telling someone to stop posting because they will be banned stops now.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:01 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Man, you guys are pretty bad.
You are completely unable to consider any other ideas, and get offended by the suggestion that it doesn't have to be illegals doing everything wrong in this country.

It's not like it was even presented it in an argumentative way, just gave you guys something to consider. But you can't reason with an angry mob with pitchforks.
I have not seen a post that indicates or assumes that all illegals are violent criminals and that crimes are only committed by illegals. All illegals are in fact criminals but of varying degree. The point most of us are trying to make is that most the crimes violent or otherwise could have been prevented or at least are preventable by enforcing existing laws and securing the borders. In other words every illegal that circumvented our system is a risk. Because we know nothing about them. Its easy to say its only a small percentage of illegals who do very bad things. That is unless you happen to be one of their victims..

Old 12-06-2008, 03:44 PM

425 posts, read 1,092,977 times
In the spirit of staying on topic, which was cysticercosis (the corrected spelling), here's some information from a reputable source, the CDC:

Quote:
Can infection be spread from person to person?
No. Cysticercosis is not spread from person to person. However, a person infected with the intestinal tapeworm stage of the infection (T. solium) will shed tapeworm eggs in their bowel movements. Tapeworm eggs that are accidentally swallowed by another person can cause infection.
You are far more likely to get Hepatitis A or C from restaurant food than you are likely to get a tapeworm. Hep A, by introducing fecal matter onto raw food, which can be done by anyone who's that disgusting regardless of their immigration status. Hep C is at epidemic proportions, and if your infected prep/line cook cuts his finger and even a tiny amount of blood gets in your food, you can be infected. Hepatitis C can live outside the body for days, unlike HIV, and it knows no border, immigration status or nationality. 200 million people worldwide are infected, 4 million in the U.S. It is the leading cause of liver transplants in the U.S., and 20,000 people a year die from it.

Enjoy your trip to the salad bar, don't eat water contaminated with feces or raw pork, and don't worry about getting cysticercosis unless you already have a tapeworm. You're much more likely to get Hepatitis C, which is fatal.

Cheers!

Old 12-06-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie C. View Post
In the spirit of staying on topic, which was cysticercosis (the corrected spelling), here's some information from a reputable source, the CDC:

You are far more likely to get Hepatitis A or C from restaurant food than you are likely to get a tapeworm. Hep A, by introducing fecal matter onto raw food, which can be done by anyone who's that disgusting regardless of their immigration status. Hep C is at epidemic proportions, and if your infected prep/line cook cuts his finger and even a tiny amount of blood gets in your food, you can be infected. Hepatitis C can live outside the body for days, unlike HIV, and it knows no border, immigration status or nationality. 200 million people worldwide are infected, 4 million in the U.S. It is the leading cause of liver transplants in the U.S., and 20,000 people a year die from it.

Enjoy your trip to the salad bar, don't eat water contaminated with feces or raw pork, and don't worry about getting cysticercosis unless you already have a tapeworm. You're much more likely to get Hepatitis C, which is fatal.

Cheers!
Oh no...........I feel the inevitable claim that illegals or "third world trash" are filthy and have horrible hygiene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration