Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 08:24 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
and that is point of Ellis Island and the other process for legal immigration...to prevent the spread of illness, and to stop the spread of the illiterates into our country.

Not everyone who wants to come here should you know..............

Many were turned away in the years and decades past.

Why now should we have an open immigration situation, other than to let all the wretched in so we can have fund drives to save the dying ....................
Ellis Island was harsh but effective-------------it definitely separated the wheat from the chaff. Of course: had we had pro illegal alien bleeding hearts back then---------they would be yowling about how 'unjust' the USA was to (especially) Eastern Euros. Oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 08:30 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
They should be checked just before they are allowed to come across the border. But, they should just stop all immigration. PERIOD!!!! They should definitely stop it from third world countries because we do not need any more uneducated and ignorant. We have plenty already.
Be Careful APJ some countries that are labeled 3rd world that are anything but.
I agree we don't need any more uneducated unskilled immigrants. We definitely don't need any without the means to support themselves. Many consider Thailand a 3rd world country. They have some issues but I will put their culture up against most and they will come out above most. Aside from the prostitution issues of Thailand I would say they are our moral equal and by some measures are ahead of us. Their children understand respect for their elders and for the most part are very well behaved. My point being 3rd world does not equal poor quality. That said it is the right of the USA to decide who is worthy of a visa. If the immigrant wishes to enter they should wait their turn and respect our decision if they are turned down. The filipines are considered 3rd world. Yet we make good use of a good many nurses trained in the Filipines.
Not all 3rd world immigrants are untrained poor people. My wife for example speaks 5 languages and is college educated. Not bad for a 3rd world native..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration