U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 04:14 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Jorge Luis Aguirre, director of news Web site La Polaka, agrees. As he was driving to Rodriguez's wake, his cell phone rang.

"You're next," said a voice.

Aguirre parked his car, called his wife and fled to the U.S. with his family. He plans to apply for asylum.
Yahoo News article (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081206/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_mexico_deadly_reporting - broken link)

This Mexican gentleman and his family are examples of people looking for political asylum here.

His country is liable to start flying apart very soon..............the above article gives me a very sick feeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 04:43 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Well a few less jounalists isn't really a bad thing. If only we could get those Drug Cartels to target lawyers. Hmmm Just wishing errr uhmm dreaming.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:46 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,898,074 times
Ugh. Saw this on yahoo and figured it would end up here.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Well a few less jounalists isn't really a bad thing. If only we could get those Drug Cartels to target lawyers. Hmmm Just wishing errr uhmm dreaming.
In this case I am definitely siding with the reporters------------those scumbag drug lords need to be destroyed.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
In all seriousness though, Mexico really needs both these days. There are a lot of people dedicated to fighting the corruption.

I have a great respect for Mexican journalists. While American media tends to lean towards sensationalism a lot, the Mexican journalists risk their lives(and many times lose them) on a daily basis to expose the corrupt network of dirty authorities, politicians, and gangsters.

I think they are a great example of what journalism is about: getting the truth out to the people no matter what.

I also respect those lawyers who have made it their cause to fight the corruption in the Mexican judicial system.

Mexico has a lot of corruption, but at least it is free enough to allow people who resist that corruption. The existence of activists, journalists, clean authorities and politicians, students, and lawyers makes me feel confident in Mexico's future.

There is light at the end of Mexico's tunnel.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
In all seriousness though, Mexico really needs both these days. There are a lot of people dedicated to fighting the corruption.

I have a great respect for Mexican journalists. While American media tends to lean towards sensationalism a lot, the Mexican journalists risk their lives(and many times lose them) on a daily basis to expose the corrupt network of dirty authorities, politicians, and gangsters.

I think they are a great example of what journalism is about: getting the truth out to the people no matter what.

I also respect those lawyers who have made it their cause to fight the corruption in the Mexican judicial system.

Mexico has a lot of corruption, but at least it is free enough to allow people who resist that corruption. The existence of activists, journalists, clean authorities and politicians, students, and lawyers makes me feel confident in Mexico's future.

And I hope to God your prediction is correct.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:14 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:

Unfortunately, that "tunnel" is leading to the USA.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:19 PM

3,640 posts, read 4,308,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Yahoo News article (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081206/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_mexico_deadly_reporting - broken link)

This Mexican gentleman and his family are examples of people looking for political asylum here.

His country is liable to start flying apart very soon..............the above article gives me a very sick feeling.
Sorry, but I don't think anyone should get political asylum in our country for at least 5 years, and better for ten years. In fact, there needs to be a complete moratorium on all immigration into our country for at least 5 years, preferably 10 years. Then we would need to get our immigration all cleared up and stop the family reunification crap and stop all immigration from any third world country until our country gets going better than it is now. Since we know that none of that would ever happen then all welfare and freebies from our government needs to be stopped immediately for any immigrant, no matter where they are from. If they can't support themselves, then tough luck for them.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Unfortunately, that "tunnel" is leading to the USA.
For all the negative things being said about Mexico, there are a lot of people there who love that country, and are putting their lives on the line to improve their country. I give credit to those people who haven't given in to the corruption, care about their people, and fight for what's right.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:31 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
For all the negative things being said about Mexico, there are a lot of people there who love that country, and are putting their lives on the line to improve their country. I give credit to those people who haven't given in to the corruption, care about their people, and fight for what's right.
On that we agree. It's too bad 20% of the population lack that fortitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration