U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 12:24 PM

354 posts, read 761,789 times

Advertisements

Why do you irrelavently bring up affirmative action? I believe this thread was started to complain about the fact that San Francisco is now 30% Asian and that many people are beginning to look at illegal Asian immigrants in the same light as illegal Hispanic immigrants.

Nice try, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 01:13 AM

634 posts, read 2,555,614 times
I brought it up in response to your cheerleading for Asian migration.

Old 03-04-2007, 02:59 AM

354 posts, read 761,789 times
You view it as cheerleading while the rest of the United States views it as an ethnic minority doing better than the ethnic majority.

Old 03-04-2007, 04:06 AM

28,166 posts, read 43,452,271 times
I'm from San Francisco, and personally couldn't care less about an "Asian invasion". I work in an area that's probably 80-90% Chinese, and really enjoy being in their community. They've been part of our culture since the early days of San Francisco, and have mostly contributed positively. They're known for a strong work ethic, belief in higher education, respect, and good family values; not to mention, Asian neighborhoods are typically among the safest. So what is there to fear or hate??? Sure, there are some bad elements among them, but hardly anything compared to the rest of the population. Some people are apparently against anything non-white, which is really sad in my opinion.

Oh, and according to my Asian friends & co-workers, it often works against them in school acceptances... especially in the top-rated California schools, which are dominated by Asian students. Do you have any idea how many Stanford and Berkeley students are of Asian descent?? One of my Chinese friends in high school got straight A's, near-perfect (1590-ish) SAT scores, and had lots of extra-curricular activities... she was rejected from a few schools, and never had any "affirmative action" options or benefits. In fact, it was rumored that Berkeley was trying to cut back on their Asian numbers, and were therefore giving advantages to those of other races (particularly Black & Latino).

Old 03-04-2007, 02:53 PM

9,716 posts, read 12,940,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
Asians are indeed the highest earning ethnic group per capita in the U.S., which makes me wonder why they pine so often for affirmative action and insist they're an oppressed minority, while any question of this matter is met by them with hostility. Why can't they compete on a level playing field with Whites, who don't qualify for protected status?
Nothing could be further from the truth.

When the California university system decided to do away with race as a criteria for admissions (Prop 209) and to focus solely on academic achievement, Asians were accepted in larger numbers than whites! Affirmative Action actually discriminates AGAINST Asians since they are "over-represented" in the group with top SAT scores. Only 15% of California public high school grads are Asian, yet top schools like Berkeley and UCLA have accepted up to 40% Asians when race is not a factor.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Nothing could be further from the truth.

When the California university system decided to do away with race as a criteria for admissions (Prop 209) and to focus solely on academic achievement, Asians were accepted in larger numbers than whites! Affirmative Action actually discriminates AGAINST Asians since they are "over-represented" in the group with top SAT scores. Only 15% of California public high school grads are Asian, yet top schools like Berkeley and UCLA have accepted up to 40% Asians when race is not a factor.
Yup! That's exactly what I was saying... most Asians I know have complained about NOT getting into schools, because they were already over-run with Asian students. In some cases, even (equally qualified) White students has a better chance of getting in. But nice try, James...

Oh, and my private high school was about 30-40% Asian, when I was there in the early '90s... I heard they give preference to anyone who isn't White OR Asian, and even offer scholarships to non-White/Asian students who are well-off (therefore don't actually need help).

Last edited by gizmo980; 03-04-2007 at 11:38 PM..

Old 03-05-2007, 11:38 PM

634 posts, read 2,555,614 times
Asians receive afffirmative action. All of you are incorrect.

First of all, there are SBA loans that Asians can qualify for, which Whites cannot. Secondly, every single major corporation in the U.S. has an Asian interests group that protects the employment status of Asians from within the corporation. Thirdly, there are outgroup organizations such as the CAA which act on the behest of Asians exclusively, to ensure their social and economic promotion.

So, anybody who says Asians do not receive affirmative action is not correct, irrespective of prop 209 or anything else to do with college admissions. Period.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:09 AM

9,716 posts, read 12,940,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
Asians receive afffirmative action. All of you are incorrect.

First of all, there are SBA loans that Asians can qualify for, which Whites cannot. Secondly, every single major corporation in the U.S. has an Asian interests group that protects the employment status of Asians from within the corporation. Thirdly, there are outgroup organizations such as the CAA which act on the behest of Asians exclusively, to ensure their social and economic promotion.

So, anybody who says Asians do not receive affirmative action is not correct, irrespective of prop 209 or anything else to do with college admissions. Period.
Most of the Asians are about 1000% smarter than you -- so they don't need Affirmative action to get ahead of you -- they can do it on brains alone.

How will you survive if affirmative action isn't around to help white guys versus the Asians??!!

Old 03-07-2007, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Most of the Asians are about 1000% smarter than you -- so they don't need Affirmative action to get ahead of you -- they can do it on brains alone.

How will you survive if affirmative action isn't around to help white guys versus the Asians??!!
Yeah, I don't think my friend with the 4.0 & 1590 SATs needed AA to get into Harvard (where she ended up going)... but some people here, on the other hand, couldn't dream of getting in even without AA. Hard work & brains do count for something, regardless of one's ethnicity.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:27 PM

259 posts, read 852,582 times
Quote:
Yes JamesT which makes me wonder why they pine so often for affirmative action and insist they're an oppressed minority,
You are correct James. Asians do benefit from Affirmative action. The US Government gives Asians a quota advantage over Whites. When selecting government contracts. These Government Business contracts are given to Private Corporations. Who have Asians as the CEO head. And manytimes Whites put up an Asian as a Business partner so they can get the contract. In turn these corporations hire Asians on preference over non-Asians.

It is no wonder that China was able to steal our Military and High Technology Secrets. Does Mr. Wong ring a Bell? Now do you see why these cyber Leftests will crawl up out of the sewers like Rats. In order to Defend Asian students. Who stole top scientific secrets from the departments of our once top Universities.

Obscure Lowerly University Administrators managed Affirmative action programs. In a way to create a protective vail. Which gave Asians students the protection or OK to steal vital scientific and technological infomation.

Unfortunately the standards of American Universities and its Secondary system were lowered in this process. By spys who Bribed and lined the pockets of our Politicians for decades.

Last edited by Dee62; 03-07-2007 at 03:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration