U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 09:52 AM

25,334 posts, read 37,471,570 times

Advertisements

I was wondering how many illegals are still here with all the jobs vanishing.

I live in Florida where many illegals were in the construction business. When I bought my new construction and went to the construction side, hardly any one spoke English and when the housing market went down the drain the illegals were driving around with their mow lawn equipment. Now that business is doing bad and I wonder why should illegals even stay here...when the jobs are gone. In our area there aren't as many as there were before and I guess this must be the same all of the country, so is it still such an issue?

I'm totally against illegals and I have spend thousands on visa's in the past and IMO it isn't fair if we do all the right things and spend a lot of money (which is for us a lot, since we aren't rich) on lawyers, visa's and all that comes with it.

If at one point illegals can stay here legal, than so should legal aliens have a chance to stay here for as long as the want...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 09:58 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
The illegals are definitely thinner on the ground here in Arizona as well.

That was really driven home for me by virtue of far fewer Spanish speaking Indians in two retail stores that had a strong Hispanic influence. Why I use 'Hispanic' and 'Indian' in the same sentence is that most illegal aliens are indeed from either Mexico or Central America.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:07 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Even 1 illegal is too many.....

Old 12-07-2008, 11:33 AM

25,334 posts, read 37,471,570 times
I know. I'm from Europe and over there it is also a huge issue and on top of that the religion is causing an issue since most illegals there are muslims who don't want to intergrate and are wearing burka's and scarfs and even the legals don't want to speak the language...not all of them of cause but it started as a small issue and now it is huge and the governments have waited to long, so i hope the US governement doesn't follow the lame way teh Europeans did, otherwise it will be a huge issue in a couple of years! Bigger than right now.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:44 AM

386 posts, read 589,532 times
It's always an issue as long as the Mexican economy sucks more than the American one. And since the Mexican economy goes down with the American economy, I'd say that's still true.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I know. I'm from Europe and over there it is also a huge issue and on top of that the religion is causing an issue since most illegals there are muslims who don't want to intergrate and are wearing burka's and scarfs and even the legals don't want to speak the language...not all of them of cause but it started as a small issue and now it is huge and the governments have waited to long, so i hope the US governement doesn't follow the lame way teh Europeans did, otherwise it will be a huge issue in a couple of years! Bigger than right now.
Apparently; the Euros now are starting to put the non assimilationist Islamists in their place. The locals have had enough of their insolence.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:04 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,954,844 times
Illegal aliens are one of the reasons why the State of California is billions of dollars in debt. The state gives them everything they need. I hate to see my tax dollars being spent this way. President Elect Obama and the Democratic controlled Congress will not do anything about the illegal immigration problem.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jguillot View Post
Illegal aliens are one of the reasons why the State of California is billions of dollars in debt. The state gives them everything they need. I hate to see my tax dollars being spent this way. President Elect Obama and the Democratic controlled Congress will not do anything about the illegal immigration problem.
I am not so sure about that..................many Democrats are quite anti illegal immigration themselves.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:08 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguillot View Post
If anything they will capitulate to the Hispanic lobby. Who looses? The tax payer. But they are not worried because they understand Americans are notorious for our short term memory and our Partisan voting.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:29 PM

1,592 posts, read 2,998,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Well, the Spanish took eight centuries to kick out the Arabs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or