Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 11:17 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,602,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The Mexicans are VERY defensive about what they do to animals in their rodeos. They are claiming it's their cultural right to mistreat horses the way they do in them -- and the horses are very badly mistreated.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/12/us...nted=1&_r=2&hp

Not only do they demand a right to move into the USA but they demand that they be allowed to do everything they did back home, keep their own culture and language and that they should for some reason be exempt from our laws.
And that represents Mexican Culture or Mexican Cowboy Culture? Can you be fairly associated and represented by Marilyn Manson? Can you be fairly represented by Roy Jones Jr? Can you be represented by American Cowboys? Brazilian Cowboys? Hope you get the point...You are blaming a subcultures misdoings on a whole...And in this case you do not even know if the parents go to Mexican Rodeos or Mexican c*ckFights...What we do know is that they were playing a very Americanized game in GTA...

Old 12-13-2008, 11:20 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
And that represents Mexican Culture or Mexican Cowboy Culture? Can you be fairly associated and represented by Marilyn Manson? Can you be fairly represented by Roy Jones Jr? Can you be represented by American Cowboys? Brazilian Cowboys? Hope you get the point...You are blaming a subcultures misdoings on a whole...And in this case you do not even know if the parents go to Mexican Rodeos or Mexican **** Fights...What we do know is that they were playing an American game in GTA...
It's the Mexicans saying that it does. Otherwise, all these events should be stopped immediately. There should be no opposition at all from ending this kind of abuse. Horse tripping is a horrendous "sport" and it's incredible that anyone defends it -- however there are those who do, and always it comes down to "it's our culture".

Old 12-13-2008, 11:22 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
And that represents Mexican Culture or Mexican Cowboy Culture? Can you be fairly associated and represented by Marilyn Manson? Can you be fairly represented by Roy Jones Jr? Can you be represented by American Cowboys? Brazilian Cowboys? Hope you get the point...You are blaming a subcultures misdoings on a whole...And in this case you do not even know if the parents go to Mexican Rodeos or Mexican c*ckFights...What we do know is that they were playing a very Americanized game in GTA...
Marilyn Manson never pretended he was a cowboy -- and I'm not sure Marilyn Manson has ever abused an animal. He's weird but I never heard of him breaking the legs of a horse. Not intentionally.

American cowboys have generally complied with the humane treatment of animals. There is a huge difference of what goes on at an American rodeo and a Mexican charreada.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
It's the Mexicans saying that it does. Otherwise, all these events should be stopped immediately. There should be no opposition at all from ending this kind of abuse. Horse tripping is a horrendous "sport" and it's incredible that anyone defends it -- however there are those who do, and always it comes down to "it's our culture".
I agree, these sports are cruel and should be ended.

However, Mexican Cowboy Culture does not equal Mexican Culture as a whole just as much as American Hip Hop Culture does not represent American Culture as a whole...

Old 12-13-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Marilyn Manson never pretended he was a cowboy -- and I'm not sure Marilyn Manson has ever abused an animal. He's weird but I never heard of him breaking the legs of a horse. Not intentionally.

American cowboys have generally complied with the humane treatment of animals. There is a huge difference of what goes on at an American rodeo and a Mexican charreada.
You just do not get it...

Can you be fairly represented by the American Hip Hop Culture? Is that slice of our society representative to us as a whole?

Old 12-13-2008, 11:56 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,062 times
Quote:
You just do not get it...

Can you be fairly represented by the American Hip Hop Culture? Is that slice of our society representative to us as a whole?
While I believe the "Vaquero" culture has far more acceptance in Northern Mexico among all ages (and a much longer history) than does "hip hop" in the US, I won't argue with you...except to say that 'animal rights' in the US is several years ahead of that notion in Mexico, or many other places.

But consider an even more 'basic' cultural disconnect...the sense of individualism vs 'group think', and the notion of private property.

Some years ago (I want to guess about 10) there was a huge 'issue' here in Southern Cal. In the South Bay area of LA County, a group of recent immigrants (legal? illegal?) had taken it upon themselves to plant a huge vegetable garden on a vacant parcel in an industrial area. This went on for several years and I will admit they had it 'looking good'.

Unknown to them (I presume) the parcel was sold, and the new owner wanted to develop it. At this point 'all hell broke loose', and the news reporters showed up, as the "people" squared off to defend "their" garden against the "ruthless landlord".

Won't go into great detail, nor do I know the exact make-up of this group. Mostly, though, they appeared to be Latin American immigrants of recent arrival, not yet assimilated fully into the culture of the US.

The notion of "private property" is the very foundation of US society. A person's property is HIS...PERIOD...and we as Americans have learned to accept this as fact. Even if the owner is a 'selfish jerk', the neighbors have no claim upon his property.

In Mexico, there's a strong tradition of "the land belongs to those who work it"...at least among the lower classes. At first this sounds compelling and fair...but it simply wouldn't work here. In the US, most of us recognioze that "the land belongs to the legal owner"....and that our whole system would become unworkable otherwise.

The fact is that American culture is extremely individualistic. We have no parallel with the concept of "la raza", and Americans normally don't see themselves as a "people" as such, nor do we have much tradition of 'group rights'. We're a nation of laws, not relationships or tribes or classes. Mexico is much more 'group-oriented'. The "ejido" system of Northern Mexico is a result of "the people" assuming ownership of property owned by 'ruthless landlords' back during the revolution.....the 'little people' simply rose up and 'took it away' from those who 'didn't deserve it'.

In the culture of the "gardeners" in the TV news, their demands were seen as fair and reasonable. They undoubtedly saw themselves as 'deserving heroes'...While to most Americans watching this on the news, they sounded like 'out-of-control trespassers'....Needless to say, the TV reporters took the side of the 'little guy' and the landowner was made to look like the 'bad guy'.

My only point in this is to illustrate how cultural values often aren't compatible. I don't even remember how the story ended....but I can assure you, each side INSISTED they were 'right'....and, in their own cultures, they WERE. But that's not the way the system works here.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:24 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,426,103 times
Dog fighting is common in my region of the US. I guess that must mean that ALL American Southerners come from a violent background and that this one aspect permeates the ENTIRE country!

Old 12-13-2008, 12:26 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,118,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Dog fighting is common in my region of the US. I guess that must mean that ALL American Southerners come from a violent background and that this one aspect permeates the ENTIRE country!
And very illegal to boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
While I believe the "Vaquero" culture has far more acceptance in Northern Mexico among all ages (and a much longer history) than does "hip hop" in the US, I won't argue with you...except to say that 'animal rights' in the US is several years ahead of that notion in Mexico, or many other places.

But consider an even more 'basic' cultural disconnect...the sense of individualism vs 'group think', and the notion of private property.

Some years ago (I want to guess about 10) there was a huge 'issue' here in Southern Cal. In the South Bay area of LA County, a group of recent immigrants (legal? illegal?) had taken it upon themselves to plant a huge vegetable garden on a vacant parcel in an industrial area. This went on for several years and I will admit they had it 'looking good'.

Unknown to them (I presume) the parcel was sold, and the new owner wanted to develop it. At this point 'all hell broke loose', and the news reporters showed up, as the "people" squared off to defend "their" garden against the "ruthless landlord".

Won't go into great detail, nor do I know the exact make-up of this group. Mostly, though, they appeared to be Latin American immigrants of recent arrival, not yet assimilated fully into the culture of the US.

The notion of "private property" is the very foundation of US society. A person's property is HIS...PERIOD...and we as Americans have learned to accept this as fact. Even if the owner is a 'selfish jerk', the neighbors have no claim upon his property.

In Mexico, there's a strong tradition of "the land belongs to those who work it"...at least among the lower classes. At first this sounds compelling and fair...but it simply wouldn't work here. In the US, most of us recognioze that "the land belongs to the legal owner"....and that our whole system would become unworkable otherwise.

The fact is that American culture is extremely individualistic. We have no parallel with the concept of "la raza", and Americans normally don't see themselves as a "people" as such, nor do we have much tradition of 'group rights'. We're a nation of laws, not relationships or tribes or classes. Mexico is much more 'group-oriented'. The "ejido" system of Northern Mexico is a result of "the people" assuming ownership of property owned by 'ruthless landlords' back during the revolution.....the 'little people' simply rose up and 'took it away' from those who 'didn't deserve it'.

In the culture of the "gardeners" in the TV news, their demands were seen as fair and reasonable. They undoubtedly saw themselves as 'deserving heroes'...While to most Americans watching this on the news, they sounded like 'out-of-control trespassers'....Needless to say, the TV reporters took the side of the 'little guy' and the landowner was made to look like the 'bad guy'.

My only point in this is to illustrate how cultural values often aren't compatible. I don't even remember how the story ended....but I can assure you, each side INSISTED they were 'right'....and, in their own cultures, they WERE. But that's not the way the system works here.
I remember that, I lived in the area (Palmdale) at the time. The only thing I could find is this Wiki Page
South Central Farm

I'm reading the it right now...Interesting story indeed. I didn't remember that Daryl Hannah was among those arrested for tree sitting.

5,963 posts, read 12,428,189 times
Quote:
New York is a great international city...Affluent people from all over the world come to live in that city. What is your point? That NYC is a cesspool?
New York City is an awesome place to see and is exciting. Look at the extreme crime; every night the nightly news has killings, etc, this includes L.I. That's what I meant about multiculturism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration