U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-21-2008, 06:56 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,650,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And a large minority (although diminishing, thank God) are here illegally with its ramifications.
They are still a minority regardless, besides, my reply was to your insinuation that hispanics don't come here legally and don't assimilate.

Quote:
#1: the Czechs arrived legally.
#2: if they screwed up.............crossing the ocean on a ship flat sucks so they made damn sure to assimilate ASAP. Read that the use of the Czech tongue would be short lived at best------for one generation.

The same could be said about the Japanese, Chinese, Italian, Hungarian (my own father was such an example), German, etc. immigrants. The one exception would be for Hispanics of any race---------in particular Mexicans for obvious reasons.
Which is obviously NOT true.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 10:01 AM

8,193 posts, read 7,550,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Anton Cermak, former mayor of Chicago famous for being shot instead of FDR made plenty of speeches in Czech to the Czech community. This is how he rose up from nowhere to become mayor. I can assure you almost every politician back then made speeches in their native language in order to obtain community support and votes.
I find it kind of ironic that so many are bashing politicians for speaking a little Spanish when Ellis Island had interpreters in practically every language to help the immigrants. The only way one was turned down is if they were over quota or visibly sick. Not only were there interpreters, there were infirmaries for those who were sick and agents to help the new arrivals find work. I wonder what tax payers back then thought about this?
Perhaps, but it would have been in union halls and church basements -- not on a national platform. See, back then immigrants felt a certain level of pride in being American citizens and speaking English. If a politician would have spoken Czech or any other foreign language, it would have been the equivelant of eating a speghetti dinner or kissing babies -- just a way of getting votes, not as the sole way to be able to communicate with a large immigrant demographic group.

As to Ellis Island, you are correct that only about 2% of the people were deported. Still, it didn't lessen the fear that it could be you. Nonetheless, I found this to be very interesting:

The two main reasons why an immigrant would be excluded were if a doctor diagnosed that the immigrant had a contagious disease that would endanger the public health or if a legal inspector thought the immigrant was likely to become a public charge or an illegal contract laborer.
Ellis Island National Monument - More Ellis Island History (U.S. National Park Service)

Hmm, illegal contract laborers were a reason for immediate expulsion.....kinda makes you think how many of our current illegal immigrants on that basis alone would have been able to make it through Ellis Island

Old 12-21-2008, 10:04 AM

8,193 posts, read 7,550,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
They are still a minority regardless, besides, my reply was to your insinuation that hispanics don't come here legally and don't assimilate.

Which is obviously NOT true.

Then why the 'press 2 for Spanish'? Then why is Spanish the only other language on all the shelves at Home Depot? Or the only other option on self checkout lanes at the grocery store? They are just assimiliating left and right, aren't they?
And yet my city has the largest Sudanese immigrant group in the nation -- and these are the lost boys/girls, who certainly had less chance of education then your typical Spanish speaking immigrant yet they come here legally and yes-- learn English and assimiliate. Weird, huh?

Old 12-21-2008, 10:39 AM

13,387 posts, read 9,329,878 times
Quote:
#1: Most hispanics are citizens or are here legally

#2: Most hispanics assimilate

Next.....
Prove it!.,,,

Old 12-21-2008, 11:06 AM

21,157 posts, read 25,552,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Then why the 'press 2 for Spanish'? Then why is Spanish the only other language on all the shelves at Home Depot? Or the only other option on self checkout lanes at the grocery store? They are just assimiliating left and right, aren't they?
And yet my city has the largest Sudanese immigrant group in the nation -- and these are the lost boys/girls, who certainly had less chance of education then your typical Spanish speaking immigrant yet they come here legally and yes-- learn English and assimiliate. Weird, huh?
Not really.

The Sudanese cannot return to their ancestral homelands unless they want to run the real risk of being imprisoned at best.

And in all fairness; I suspect that many of the 'lost boys/girls' may have been Middle Class in Sudan (students, children of business owners, etc) so they already have many of the basic cultural traits for assimilation here.

Both scenarios are an incentive for success here.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Prove it!.,,,
Prove they don't, don't give me no B.S examples either.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:10 AM

21,157 posts, read 25,552,511 times
Quote:
Prove they don't, don't give me no B.S examples either.
It is over; blacknight04-----------the sick economy is precluding any sort of amnesty for illegal aliens.

We ain't seen nuttin' yet concerning mass deportations---------whether willingly or forced.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:20 AM

7,020 posts, read 6,841,582 times
Quote:

*CRICKETS . . . . .* Both of your posts were excellent and dead on. Sorry I can't rep you!

Old 12-21-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
It is over; blacknight04-----------the sick economy is precluding any sort of amnesty for illegal aliens.

We ain't seen nuttin' yet concerning mass deportations---------whether willingly or forced.
The topic at hand is not about amnesty or deportations, we are talking about claims from some of you that hispanics don't assimilate and don't come here legally.

I do find your "it's overs", "the hammer is dropping", etc phrases cute though, so keep entertaining me.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Ever heard of marketing? Besides, most hispanic americans are bilingual and almost all second generation hispanics are perfectly "americanized". If you have a problem with companies marketing in this manner, then take it up with them. To say this proves hispanics are not assimilating is false and not based in fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration