Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 05:50 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,227,219 times

Advertisements

600 miles of fence built.

A little over a 100 miles to go.

YES!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 07:22 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,199,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Point to a time where there has been 0% unemployment in the U.S. Restricting work visas is only going to make the problem worse.
How so???

Old 12-16-2008, 07:52 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,694,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Of course it works... its simple physics... path of least resistance... I have ALWAYS supported it... but it is NOT the only solution, we also need employee-based checks... that will make the number go to almost ZERO... as well as cracking down on work visas... the only time a work visa should be issued is when there is essentially 0% unemployment in the US...
Yup, very fine post!

First things first, yes, path of least resistance...Most we just try and cross elsewhere...

But if and when the vehicle resistant covers the entire border...Is an 18' fence that hard to get over quickly? Just need a tall pickup truck and a 10' ladder placed on the roof...Or a rope with a grappling hook...

Work visas are the biggest problem IMO, too...

Old 12-16-2008, 07:56 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
Yup, very fine post!

First things first, yes, path of least resistance...Most we just try and cross elsewhere...

But if and when the vehicle resistant covers the entire border...Is an 18' fence that hard to get over quickly? Just need a tall pickup truck and a 10' ladder placed on the roof...Or a rope with a grappling hook...

Ah, but now, we are going to see literally 1000's of new Border Patrol agents along "The Fence" -

Old 12-16-2008, 08:43 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,335,757 times
Quote:
Yup, very fine post!

I agree any fence /wall if you have enough time is easy to get over be it heavy blankets thrown on cyclone wire,etc to cross over . Electric fence is another matter.

They do slow many down .
However you put some guards in the area it becomes a different matter as now the time you need to go over the wall/fence becomes a problem.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:43 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,092,004 times
Quote:
Yup, very fine post!

Ask Spain: they have a fortified fence in their northern African outpost which seems to work quite well.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
As you stated..........

Frankly; it is going to take some sort of atrocity against Americans on US soil to goad the stupids in Wash DC into getting serious.

It will take the ultimate horror an act of terrorism from thos who have used the border to come in.

That is the real tragedy of open borders .

I disagree with some here as I feel most who come are here just for work and nothing more .

But I disagree with others as I KNOW criminals are coming in and people who come via Middle East who belong to terrorist groups thus in the end 1 criminal is to much 1 terrorist is to much.
Thus protect your OWN citizens and shut the border tight not only Mexican border but ALL borders .

Old 12-16-2008, 09:40 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,269,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Northern border does not concern me as much.........Canada at least is a First World nation.
You would be surprised at whom the Border Patrol catch coming out of Canada seeing as they are a "safe haven".

Old 12-16-2008, 09:50 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,269,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
It will take the ultimate horror an act of terrorism from thos who have used the border to come in.

That is the real tragedy of open borders .

I disagree with some here as I feel most who come are here just for work and nothing more .

But I disagree with others as I KNOW criminals are coming in and people who come via Middle East who belong to terrorist groups thus in the end 1 criminal is to much 1 terrorist is to much.
Thus protect your OWN citizens and shut the border tight not only Mexican border but ALL borders .
At one point in time I would have agreed with you but they don't just come here for work. They have discovered how to manipulate the system and they are here to stay. They get fake id's, fake ss's and start a new life here albeit an illegal one.

And for all you fence enthusists my hubby is a "border guard" as ya'll like to refer to them here, and he says the fence simply is not possible all along the border. When you have areas in Southern NM that there is no visible distinction between the US and Mexico there is no way to invest the money that it would take to erect the fence and then to find out it was placed on the Mexican side. The best they can do are vehicle barriers. The fence sounds good but all it does is make the illegals and drug runners look for other options. The fence works pretty well in suburban areas. I agree with whomever it was that said bring our troops home and place them on the northern and southern borders. The National Guard has been a huge help to the Border Patrol on the southern border. Quite simply there is no easy solution for this problem, I do know apprehensions are down right now, whether it is due to the economy, or the holidays I don't know.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
At one point in time I would have agreed with you but they don't just come here for work. They have discovered how to manipulate the system and they are here to stay. They get fake id's, fake ss's and start a new life here albeit an illegal one.

And for all you fence enthusists my hubby is a "border guard" as ya'll like to refer to them here, and he says the fence simply is not possible all along the border. When you have areas in Southern NM that there is no visible distinction between the US and Mexico there is no way to invest the money that it would take to erect the fence and then to find out it was placed on the Mexican side. The best they can do are vehicle barriers. The fence sounds good but all it does is make the illegals and drug runners look for other options. The fence works pretty well in suburban areas. I agree with whomever it was that said bring our troops home and place them on the northern and southern borders. The National Guard has been a huge help to the Border Patrol on the southern border. Quite simply there is no easy solution for this problem, I do know apprehensions are down right now, whether it is due to the economy, or the holidays I don't know.
--------------
"At one point in time I would have agreed with you but they don't just come here for work. They have discovered how to manipulate the system and they are here to stay. They get fake id's, fake ss's and start a new life here albeit an illegal one. "

Your 100% correct and even though I have seen some of these IDs which are true works of art being sold in Miami barber/ the service of making it with picture was being sold (contacted local politicians TOTAL waste of time than contacted FBI NOT waste of time)
and I have had family members here have problems due to identity theft .I was still stupid enough to forget that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration